The Alloa Athletic Thread

Taggart was probably one of my players of the year from Christmas onwards. Won't be many better part time right backs around I doubt.

Tbf most of the games I missed were after Christmas.

If Marr and Holmes leave then it really will feel like an end of the era of the club that's spanned over the past few years.

Just now, Wilkinson1998 said:

Tbf most of the games I missed were after Christmas.

If Marr and Holmes leave then it really will feel like an end of the era of the club that's spanned over the past few years.

We'd still have Kev. Sadly when he came back I don't think he's hit anywhere near the heights he was  at when he left. Still a useful player though

I wouldn't mind keeping McCluskey either but I think he just came to us as a stable club for the end of the season & he will be frustrated with his game time and move on. That list isn't what I want but what I think it'll be. Jason Marr is totally out of favour, Frank coming in for the play offs proved that and I think he's too good to sit on the bench all season at this level.

Could be the end of the era indeed. However, if Big Ben & Sparky resign it's back to the good old days!

3 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

I wouldn't mind keeping McCluskey either but I think he just came to us as a stable club for the end of the season & he will be frustrated with his game time and move on. That list isn't what I want but what I think it'll be. Jason Marr is totally out of favour, Frank coming in for the play offs proved that and I think he's too good to sit on the bench all season at this level.

Could be the end of the era indeed. However, if Big Ben & Sparky resign it's back to the good old days!

I'm pretty sure we offered Marr a deal last season but he knocked it back. We may do so again. 

I'm pretty sure we offered Marr a deal last season but he knocked it back. We may do so again. 

Yeah was thinking Ayr a possible destination. Would be a disastrous move losing Marr to a direct rival. Surely Goody will think hard about that.

Taggart was one of our most consistent performers over the season and defenders will always make a mistake or three at this level. He supplied two perfect crosses for Spence and Mackin on Saturday however and his attacking play (including actually being quite a skilful player) has been better than most. Definitely one on the 'keep' list for me.

Might not be the most popular opinion coming up but one player who I think had a gradual decline in form during the season was Kirkpatrick. Started the season on fire and admittedly no-one would be able to keep that level going throughout an entire campaign but he seemed to be trying almost too hard to make an impact or create an opening for one of his trademark screamers in the last two to three months much to the detriment of his own performances I felt.

Spence has a canny knack of being in the right place at the right time and his goals tally speaks for itself but he has next to zero ball control/first touch, so frustrating at times. Obviously still a 'keep' as the guy loves the club and the supporters and will always get goals at this level.

Would love to see Ben and Sparky come back, especially if Waters leaves which is likely.

Everyone knows this except Jim.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it but there is a possibility that it wasn't purely talent based that Jason was dropped from the team. In his comment he does mention about not being able to change someone's opinion and he wasn't convinced at the POTY night that he would be playing in the play offs

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it but there is a possibility that it wasn't purely talent based that Jason was dropped from the team. In his comment he does mention about not being able to change someone's opinion and he wasn't convinced at the POTY night that he would be playing in the play offs

I'm thinking along the same lines as yourself.

Suppose in the cold light of day we weren't good enough to go up, and next season with Ayr and Raith, along with Airdrie again it wont be any easier. Maybe Goodwin feels now is the time to freshen up the squad with players he feels will take us onto the next level. l still look at the team and its still Ross's team, rightly or wrongly I think Goodwin wants to stamp his mark on the team and to do that needs to move players on.

I generally don't buy into this clamour for bringing back ex players and suspect Goodwin does not either, although would obviously take Ben Gordon back in an instant but the speed and acceptance that he cut short his loan deal suggests to me he is not over enthusiastic.

I suppose when we see his released list, his thinking will become clearer.

I don't like going back to get ex-players either but come on. Gordon & Sparky are some of the best part-timers about. Why not?! Waters will probably leave and what better replacement than Sparky - a competent LB at this level. Gordon oozes class as well, one of the best centre backs I've seen following Alloa.