The Alloa Athletic Thread

6 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

I think it would feel like a hollow victory. I recognise that my opinion is unpopular, but there is now no reward for Alloa's hard work and good form in the dark of last winter.

But keeping the chance up going up alive by having 3 playoff places makes the league exciting and keeps interest going and games competitive, I think Brechin would have been much closer to Alloa if it had not been for about a 3 month spell with horrendous injuries sometimes down to 11/12 fit players, even yesterday the 3 subs that came on were not fully fit and I always think that over two legs the better team will win;) 

14 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

But keeping the chance up going up alive by having 3 playoff places makes the league exciting and keeps interest going and games competitive, I think Brechin would have been much closer to Alloa if it had not been for about a 3 month spell with horrendous injuries sometimes down to 11/12 fit players, even yesterday the 3 subs that came on were not fully fit and I always think that over two legs the better team will win;) 

All fair comments. Brechin matched Alloa over two legs in May but Alloa were hugely superior over the nine month league campaign. In the pre-play off days, we had many mid-table seasons. I never thought that games were meaningless - sixth place was better than seventh etc.

Have to agree with bold rover this makes the other 9 months of the season totally meaningless.

I felt airdrie were a far superior team to brechin against us to this point aswell, so credit must go to darren dods and the brechin team for what they done yesterday and wednesday.

Agree with the comments about marr and mckeown, in my opinion mckeown is nowhere near the player marr is, hope this doesnt lead to us losing him.

Greig spence is a fantastic talent at this level and as previously said he just loves playing for us or so it seems anyway, cant see him going ft again especially not with raith. Maybe the other part time boys offering good money though.

Hope we can strengthen, i think we will need to and in my own opinion we wont go up or even challenge next season with 3 other ft teams in the league.

I believe second-placed teams should never go up automatically. Only champions should be guaranteed promotion.

The play-offs exist as a "second chance" for the teams who came close and that seems fair to me.

Edited by Albino Rover

My aversion to play-offs is about teams 12 points (or more in a recentish English Championship example) behind second place, leapfrogging. Perhaps a straight fight between second-bottom and second-top would be better. I realise I'm pissing into the wind here.

3 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

I know play-offs are popular and that they extend the something-to-play-for length of the season. But when a team 12 points below the other prevails, it diminishes the meaning of a league season.

What a lot of bollocks. The play off system makes the end of the season exciting at both ends of the league. The games themselves have been good viewing and have lots of neutrals tuning in to Alba yesterday. Brechin's achievement is in no way diminished. Them's the rules at the start and everyone knows it. The only way to guarantee promotion is by going out and winning. Everything else is a lottery. Brechin held their nerve over 4 games to go up. They deserve it.

2 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

I think it would feel like a hollow victory. I recognise that my opinion is unpopular, but there is now no reward for Alloa's hard work and good form in the dark of last winter.

Even more bollocks. Alloa deserve what they got. They failed to beat Brechin over two cup finals. They've took their foot of the gas in the last few games of the season proper and have paid the price. They went into the play off out of form and it bit them on the arse. Alloa were the second best team over the course of the season, but prizes aint given out for second place, everybody knows that. 

Yesterdays game was a good advert for the league. The quality may not be the best but there is a lot of excitement. The play off system is a massive part of that excitement. Talk of hollow victories etc is utterly moronic.

7 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

They've took their foot of the gas in the last few games of the season proper and have paid the price. They went into the play off out of form and it bit them on the arse. 

I think you have a very good point there pes'  the continuity was upset by doing this IMO. a lesson learned maybe?

1 minute ago, whereismillar said:

I think you have a very good point there pes'  the continuity was upset by doing this IMO. a lesson learned maybe?

The league doesn't lie. Alloa were clearly better over the season than us or Brechin. I'm sure Alloa fans will be utterly gutted. However, it's not a massive surprise given their form in the last couple of months. Whether they intentionally took their foot off the pedal or not, they didn't have form on their side and that's not an on/off switch.

I'd rather have got rid of Alloa. They'll be sniffing about at the top end next season, where I hope we'll be. I'm sure Goodwin will have learned some difficult lessons in the last two months. 

Greig's ours. f**k off, the lot of you  :angry:

Play-offs obviously aren't 'fair', but we all know the rules and they make a massive difference to the level of interest in the league season, as hardly anybody has nothing to play for in the last few games. And that's before you get into the matches themselves, which (I'd imagine) will have been the most memorable games that all four teams have been involved in this year. It's a fucking sickener for us, but Brechin did what was important when it mattered. Not that there could have been any complaints if any of the four teams had won, TBH. That was ridiculously close.

He has been doing well. Still learning but I'd rather give him game time and develop him instead of Longworth.

On a separate note I think the play offs have been a great addition to the game. I would like to see the final be a one off game at somewhere like Forthbank or that though.

44 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

Alloa deserve what they got. They failed to beat Brechin over two cup finals. They've took their foot of the gas in the last few games of the season proper and have paid the price. They went into the play off out of form and it bit them on the arse. Alloa were the second best team over the course of the season, but prizes aint given out for second place, everybody knows that. 

We won 2 of our last 3 games, very inaccurate to say we went into the playoffs on bad form.

Agree with the general point though that the playoffs are excellent.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

He has been doing well. Still learning but I'd rather give him game time and develop him instead of Longworth.

On a separate note I think the play offs have been a great addition to the game. I would like to see the final be a one off game at somewhere like Forthbank or that though.

Got to agree with you there think the final would be much better if it was at a neutral ground and a one off game

24 minutes ago, hedgeinthesouth said:

Got to agree with you there think the final would be much better if it was at a neutral ground and a one off game

One off final possibly right, but if we retain the two legs I think away goals should count double. First leg always seems the away team plays tight/defensive? I don't see either happening in near future especially if two games produce bigger average attendance? Or on the other hand a neutral final might produce more? Did the home teams keep their gate share in each leg? Last people to be asked will be the fans( Just look at the non-Scots teams in the Petrofac cup or whatever it is called now)

4 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

I know play-offs are popular and that they extend the something-to-play-for length of the season. But when a team 12 points below the other prevails, it diminishes the meaning of a league season.

I agree. It's a hard one because they do provide excitement at the end of the season, but a team finishing 4th in a 10 team league should never be getting promoted. It almost defeats the purpose of playing the previous 36 games when you can finish only 12 points above 10th place (losing more games than they won and with a negative goal difference) and then win promotion with a couple of penalty shoot-outs.

I didn't feel that bothered about ourselves losing last week because there was no way we should have been getting promoted given the season we had, and we finished higher than Brechin. That's nothing against Brechin, given the current the system they've got the job done, fair play to them. But I think play-offs need to find a balance between providing extra excitement, but also keeping a 'fairness', I've never thought the lower league play-offs were particularly fair. At least the play-offs from the Championship provide some advantage to finishing 2nd over 3rd and 4th, they aren't perfect but there's at least more of an attempt to reward league positions. I'd still much prefer 2 up 2 down, that's just me though.

Play-offs are very clearly a sacrifice of 'fairness' in favour of 'excitement'. I've got no problem with saying that nobody except the champions has a fundamental right to promotion in a league of 10.

I have enjoyed watching alloa this season and there has been a lot of excellent football played . Gutted that we have stumbled at the last hurdle.

I think fatigue has played a part as we have played a lot of games over the season with a relatively small squad of players. We had extended cup runs in the challenge cup, league and Scottish cups and ultimately run out of gas. Playing Wednesday/Saturday over the past two weeks must have been tough. 

Well done to brechin they hang in there yesterday and we just couldn't get it noses in front and land the knockout blow. 

Agree with others that whereas mckeown has  been a good signing for us but he's no Jason Marr. Albeit marr had poor spell mid season and sold cheap goals but he's been a class act over his 5 seAsons with us. 

Many great performances over the season and yesterday although gutted at the end ,was a tremendous spectacle for league 1 football . Some terrific goals 

We'll be back . 

Oweny