The Alloa Athletic Thread

Looks like lidl are interested in purchasing the waste ground across the road from KFC. If the plans are successful a new car park will be built at the rear of the KFC.

Tbh I can't see the car park being that big to meet demands on match days.

I find the situation with Doyle a strange one. Is he really hoping for full time? Reality check - he's not good enough. I would have run out of patience by now if I was Smith. He should sign now and commit himself or the contract offer should be withdrawn. We have better players (Meggatt,Gordon, McCord, Cawley) who have all signed already.

I too hope Marr is fit and ready to play. His absence due to injury last season I believe was a key part in our slump.

Always rated Cawley

Am surprised no full time club came in for him .I know St johnstone where watching him at some point last season but he had a poor second half to the season . But one thing for sure his workrate is always 110 %

Alloa's squad looks dreadfully weak just now compared to others. Smith doesn't seem to be attracting much quality to the club and based on who else is in the league and even Livi signing CH's that could easily play in the Premier I'm worried for Alloa.

Alloa's squad looks dreadfully weak just now compared to others. Smith doesn't seem to be attracting much quality to the club and based on who else is in the league and even Livi signing CH's that could easily play in the Premier I'm worried for Alloa.

Plenty time.

I don't think our squad is dreadfully weak. I was very pleasantly surprised that we only lost Scott Bain to full-time when there was a real danger that the likes of Gordon, Meggat, McCord and Cawley would also move on. I think Spence is an improvement on Kirk up front and Docherty and Weatherston should add some depth that we lacked last season. A decent nucleus at this stage.

We do need a couple of really good signings but there is still time for that and Smith has said he is working on a few possibles. No panic.

I don't think our squad is dreadfully weak. I was very pleasantly surprised that we only lost Scott Bain to full-time when there was a real danger that the likes of Gordon, Meggat, McCord and Cawley would also move on.

There's a reason those 4 didn't move on. No-one else wants them. Bain was the only decent player you had that attracted attention.

Waspie, on 09 Jul 2014 - 22:17, said:

I don't think our squad is dreadfully weak. I was very pleasantly surprised that we only lost Scott Bain to full-time when there was a real danger that the likes of Gordon, Meggat, McCord and Cawley would also move on. I think Spence is an improvement on Kirk up front and Docherty and Weatherston should add some depth that we lacked last season. A decent nucleus at this stage.

We do need a couple of really good signings but there is still time for that and Smith has said he is working on a few possibles. No panic.

Sevco are much stronger than MorTEN were. The teams Alloa want to be fighting with such as Livi have strengthened, I can't see Dumbarton finishing in the bottom two therefore the way I see it is that Cowden and Alloa will be fighting for 9th spot and it's debateable while either can win another play-off but obviously that's nowhere near being predictable at this stage.

I sincerely hope Alloa stay up as obviously I really like and rate Smith, but his dealings so far don't look promising in my opinion. I'd say it's debateable whether Spence is an improvement on Kirk as well. Kirk was maybe playing a season beyond himself but his huge amount of experience up top had to count for something.

Kirk gave his all and did a job on occasion but he was clearly past his best and didn't really suit our style. He scored 5 league goals, the last of which was in December. I think Spence will do better. With Spence and Weatherston, whilst both have plenty to prove, I'd say we already have better options up front than last season and there will be another striker coming in.

The league is much stronger than last season and we are allowed certainly going to have our work cut out against the best teams but I reckon we can reasonably expect to compete with the rest.

I agree that Smith needs to strengthen and I reckon he needs a centre mid and a forward who are capable of going into the first 11 as well as more depth. He has a good nucleus though - it's not dreadfully weak - and a month till the first league game.

It's been us and Cowden at the bottom since we both stayed up last season - I'd be amazed if anyone's thinking otherwise, due to the resource gap between us and the rest. Staying up this season would compete with either club's best achievements. So, I don't think it's worth panicking if our individual players don't quite match up to Livingston (for example), so long as they're working well as a unit. It's just going to be a fun season, I think.

Nice to hear that Cowden have improved so much that they wouldn't want some of our best players, however. Looking forward to seeing how we handle playing against a team of such quality.

BigFatTabbyDave, on 09 Jul 2014 - 23:52, said:

It's been us and Cowden at the bottom since we both stayed up last season - I'd be amazed if anyone's thinking otherwise, due to the resource gap between us and the rest. Staying up this season would compete with either club's best achievements. So, I don't think it's worth panicking if our individual players don't quite match up to Livingston (for example), so long as they're working well as a unit. It's just going to be a fun season, I think.

Nice to hear that Cowden have improved so much that they wouldn't want some of our best players, however. Looking forward to seeing how we handle playing against a team of such quality.

So if Alloa finish bottom, theoretically, will Smith get a stint in League One? I think he's made a poor choice in deciding to manage Alloa as there's no way he can improve upon Hartley's achievements and the only way is down unless he pulls off a minor miracle.

So if Alloa finish bottom, theoretically, will Smith get a stint in League One? I think he's made a poor choice in deciding to manage Alloa as there's no way he can improve upon Hartley's achievements and the only way is down unless he pulls off a minor miracle.

We'll have to fall apart, Morten-style, for him not to get a crack at the third tier. So long as we're competitive, I think he'll be fine. Allan Maitland got three or four seasons despite us looking like headless chickens at times. As far as Bazza's career goes, Ian Murray's practically a saint from getting Dumbarton into mid-table, so full-time clubs would probably start sniffing around if he managed something similar with us.

Feeling quite optimistic that we'll give everyone a run for their money, I should add! I reckon he'll do well for us.

I think if we do manage to stay up this season then IMO Smith will not have equalled Hartley, he will have surpassed him. Remember that Hartley jumped ship when it started to go downhill. Clearly didnt have it in him to fight at the bottom of the league for survival. This will be the biggest challenge the club has faced. Lets face it with the backing PH had from the board getting through the 3rd and 2nd divs should have been and was fairly straightforward. I just hope the board are giving Smith the same sort of backing. At the moment we are definitely short in most areas of the squad. Lets see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

Look at how you played over the last six months of the season compared to how we played. I'd have taken Bain quite happily in place of Flynn. He saved yous on more than one occasion whereas we had real issues with keepers all last season.

Our only real problem since Christmas was when Hemmings was out and we had no other striker to replace him. Not even a crap one because our squad was so thin.

None of the other players you mentioned would be guaranteed a start at Cowden as they're not obviously better than what we already have. Can't see how players in that form would have improved us one bit over that timeframe. Doesn't mean i wouldn't want them in the squad but we don't have the resources to have them in addition to what we already have hence we wouldn't want them.

There's a reason those 4 didn't move on. No-one else wants them. Bain was the only decent player you had that attracted attention.

Not the case, they all could have gone elsewhere but chose to stay. All four would walk into the Cowdenbeath team.

The only part of your team that was better than ours last season was in attack, where you were miles ahead of us. Those boys are gone now and you will do very well indeed to get replacements anywhere near as good. And you signed Iain Campbell :)