The Alloa Athletic Thread

I don't like our style of play as much under Lennon, but he doesn't have much of a choice. I was just talking to my mum yesterday about his reasoning for letting most of the old squad go (for those who don't know, he thought his St Mirren squad downed tools after winning the League Cup, so he was concerned that our old guard would have an attitude problem when asked to put a shift in this season), and his prior experience might have worked against him a wee bit as I couldn't see him having the same problems with last season's squad.

Chop would still do well in a better team IMO. As it stands, he's been working harder this season than he did in the last, and does a great job of picking up the forward balls, holding the ball up, and laying it off to forward runners. I don't know why we insist on playing high balls up to him, as he's almost always going to be out-jumped by the bigger lads marking him; he's smart enough that he often doesn't bother jumping, waiting instead to see if the defender makes a hash of the header, which he's then in a position to take advantage of. Just give it to his feet FFS. Get a fast (or big) goalscorer up with him and they'd make hay together.

I've no answers (other than the embarrassingly-obvious GET SOME FUCKING STRIKERS IN!), but the mistakes have been made and I don't know that another manager would do any better with the materials at hand. Surely Danny's bound to be looking for other players, but you'd like to think we'd have had a chance of signing someone like Jason Scotland, considering he ended up at Stenny. Apparently his signings at St Mirren weren't great, so maybe he could use a good talent scout alongside him in a Clough/Taylor type of scenario.

I don't like our style of play as much under Lennon, but he doesn't have much of a choice. I was just talking to my mum yesterday about his reasoning for letting most of the old squad go (for those who don't know, he thought his St Mirren squad downed tools after winning the League Cup, so he was concerned that our old guard would have an attitude problem when asked to put a shift in this season), and his prior experience might have worked against him a wee bit as I couldn't see him having the same problems with last season's squad.

Chop would still do well in a better team IMO. As it stands, he's been working harder this season than he did in the last, and does a great job of picking up the forward balls, holding the ball up, and laying it off to forward runners. I don't know why we insist on playing high balls up to him, as he's almost always going to be out-jumped by the bigger lads marking him; he's smart enough that he often doesn't bother jumping, waiting instead to see if the defender makes a hash of the header, which he's then in a position to take advantage of. Just give it to his feet FFS. Get a fast (or big) goalscorer up with him and they'd make hay together.

I've no answers (other than the embarrassingly-obvious GET SOME FUCKING STRIKERS IN!), but the mistakes have been made and I don't know that another manager would do any better with the materials at hand. Surely Danny's bound to be looking for other players, but you'd like to think we'd have had a chance of signing someone like Jason Scotland, considering he ended up at Stenny. Apparently his signings at St Mirren weren't great, so maybe he could use a good talent scout alongside him in a Clough/Taylor type of scenario.

Is Scotland on loan to stenny? We had him training with us at Livi, before he rejoined accies.

Chopra is a bit of a poacher who is good experience to have, definitely need a faster option at alloa.

Is Scotland on loan to stenny? We had him training with us at Livi, before he rejoined accies.

Chopra is a bit of a poacher who is good experience to have, definitely need a faster option at alloa.

Signed on a short-term contract until the end of the season, apparently. Didn't realise he was training with you guys, but apparently he has a trail with Wrexham, which obviously didn't work out. Hopefully Daniello took a look while all this was going on and decided he was past it.

Watch him rack up the goals in League One now :lol:

Signed on a short-term contract until the end of the season, apparently. Didn't realise he was training with you guys, but apparently he has a trail with Wrexham, which obviously didn't work out. Hopefully Daniello took a look while all this was going on and decided he was past it.

Watch him rack up the goals in League One now :lol:

Haha, thanks for replying. I'd have gambled on him had he not rejoined accies at that point. Should definitely do a job for stenny. Was unaware he had gone down to wrexham for a trial haha.

I was just talking to my mum yesterday about his reasoning for letting most of the old squad go

Which of the old squad did Lennon 'let go'?

By let go, do you mean he didn't offer them a deal for this season? Or something else?

Which of the old squad did Lennon 'let go'?

By let go, do you mean he didn't offer them a deal for this season? Or something else?

The former; I think that's how he phrased it himself. The only one I know of that definitely wanted away, no matter what, was Big Ben.

Not an attack on him, BTW. His choices haven't necessarily worked out as well as they could, that's all.

The former; I think that's how he phrased it himself. The only one I know of that definitely wanted away, no matter what, was Big Ben.

Not an attack on him, BTW. His choices haven't necessarily worked out as well as they could, that's all.

It definitely wasn't Lennon's plan to let all those players go, he said himself in May that the most important thing was to ensure that the key men stayed on. To be honest only an absolute imbecile would force out tried and trusted players then attempt to sign a new a squad over a few weeks. As we are seeing, you are extremely unlikely to be able to get the same kind of quality in. Lennon isn't an imbecile and would have been banking on keeping a number of the boys that he lost.

McCord was always going and Ben attracted tons of interest initially so was always unlikely to stay. Buchanan was happy to sign on until he got a full time offer which didnt mean a lot of travel. Cawley was signing but u turned and joined Dumbarton.

The only key man the manager really let go through his own wishes was Simmy. Although he knew rebuilding was coming based on inevitable departures of Ben and Ryan, plus a bit of a clearout, its wrong to say that the manager was happy to let all of them go.

So...are we thinking that Dan realised the squad was breaking up and went a bit, "fine, I don't need you guys anyway! I'll put together a new team, you'll see!" :P Fair enough.

Seemed like Simmons was done in the second half of last season; can't really blame the boss for not re-signing him. What's he doing these days anyway? If he's after a new hip, he'll need to wait until after my mum's had hers done :angry:

So...are we thinking that Dan realised the squad was breaking up and went a bit, "fine, I don't need you guys anyway! I'll put together a new team, you'll see!" :P Fair enough.

Seemed like Simmons was done in the second half of last season; can't really blame the boss for not re-signing him. What's he doing these days anyway? If he's after a new hip, he'll need to wait until after my mum's had hers done :angry:

There would have been a significant turnover regardless of whether he kept some of the key guys on. If youre referring to his comments in July when he met with supporters- he did state bits and pieces about trying to keep them on- and he's hardly going to say "now that theyve not agreed to sign, we're absolutely gubbed for the season boys- dont bother turning up to watch"

At the end of last season, Meggatt was gone on pre contract to Dundee and Ben was most definitely off. He would have identified Ryan, Cawley, Buchanan as key players he would liked to have retained (certainly with the latter two Lennon made every effort to do so, and I think McCords view was that its time for a change). Also, despite the fact Flannigan had a lot of injury problems over the season- he played every game under Lennon when he arrived so probably would have earmarked him too as a vital player.

The reversal would have occurred with Simmy, who was certainly a key player but one that Lennon wouldnt have seen for Alloa. Simmy picked up an injury against Livi away in February which he couldnt quite shake off- but that could have happened to anyone. I thought Simmys performances on the park last season prior to the injury were really good, and had he managed to regain fitness in summer- would surely walk back into the current team. But at that moment in summer, cant really blame the manager for having his doubts whether Simmy would fully recover and he probably hadnt seen too much of him to take a pretty substantial gamble,

Simmy looks to be currently strolling around on the golf course and loving life. It'll be a shame if thats the end of his career though, as the guy is still capable of doing a real job- cant believe the likes of a League 1 team never picked him up.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

You ll prob get 15 million for Isaac Layne from Man City in coming months ! What a loan signing he's been scored with outside of right foot today good wee player! Changed our season ! Hard working and fast ... Cheers lads

Excellent

You ll prob get 15 million for Isaac Layne from Man City in coming months ! What a loan signing he's been scored with outside of right foot today good wee player! Changed our season ! Hard working and fast ... Cheers lads

Delighted Isaac is doing well for you. Just goes to show the gulf between the Championship and Division 1. Hope he continues to do well and bang some more goals in.

Would be interested to see how Brechin are playing Isaac if I could be arsed searching for a video. Hopefully some kind Brechin or Ayr fan will share a link if anyone was filming highlights.

Hope he scores a hatful and sparks a Brechin revival.

There was highlights of their game last week either on this thread or on the duffle can't really remember.

From they highlights it looked like he had a good game last week as well and got an assist.

For me though and has already been stated I think that just highlights the gulf between the two leagues rather than how he's being deployed. Would definitely offer a contract though if we were to go down. Boy obviously has something about him and is only young.

Does Isaacs contract not end in January?

Sure someone else already said that wasn't the case. Signing someone on a 12 month contract in January sounds like absolute idiocy anyway; where's the upside to that? :wacko:

I thought he signed an 18 month contract last December? Might be wrong

He did, here till the end of the season. There's definitely something about him that he seems to lack in the starting 11. Nobody goes to score 5/6 goals a week in the development league to barely hitting the target in the first team. I know it's a big difference but to do it so consistently there and not even manage to get one in the first team isn't normal.

I don't see any development league games but it could be a difference in tactics between the two?