The Alloa Athletic Thread

How's he getting on?

Not really much to report really. Come on in the last 15 minutes against St Johnstone and played well at centre back as we just sat back trying to defend a lead and clear our lines. Played the last 20 minutes at centre back on Saturday against Inverness as we tried to fight our way back into the game and looked decent enough.

He'll get more opportunities I imagine. Kevin Holt was actually dropped/rested for the last game but Gary Irvine was picked ahead of him at left back. I suspect that if Holt isn't playing in the future, Meggatt will be given an opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Geoff left the club today, so I'm told :(

Incidentally, this makes all bets I may have made with regard to the Championship top scorer null and void JINX NO COMEBACKS! :ph34r:

Really? Only game he never started was against Dumbarton I think. Wonder what the reason for that is

The guy who told me said that his wife's pregnant, and she's still living down south. There was an implication that he's a bit homesick too (which you can understand, in those circumstances).

It's a real pity if this is true. I talked to a guy at ASDA (hi if you're reading this!) who said that he was literally the first person Geoff spoke to when he arrived in the town, as he stopped at the store to ask for directions to the ground. He said Geoff seemed really excited about the prospect of playing for the club. And, of course, DL claimed that Geoff had received some arguably better offers from other clubs, but really liked Alloa.

I still think something was affecting his mobility in the first few games of the season, and still hoped he'd end up bossing defenders around (like we all hoped he would). Best of luck to the guy, and congratulations if he's daft enough to frequent this forum (and if my source is correct!)

Edit: where's Wasps1 with the real skinny on this story anyway? :P

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

Aye his misses was pregnant that's why he was in the stands vs Dumbarton. Seems quite sudden cause I saw Geoff and Chopra on Thursday afternoon in lidl so I assume it's just been Friday at earliest this has happened

This is my favourite sentence ever on P&B I think :lol:

Do the guys from down south (the only two I know off the top of my head are yon Geoff and Chopra) actually move up here or just travel up for games and training?

Chopra, Geoff and Isaac all moved up. So did the others from down south last season. I think mulraney provides there houses since he owns half of alloa

Aye his misses was pregnant that's why he was in the stands vs Dumbarton. Seems quite sudden cause I saw Geoff and Chopra on Thursday afternoon in lidl so I assume it's just been Friday at earliest this has happened

Please tell me you got them to pose for a picture with you!

I don't know why, but I think a picture of me with The Chop and Geoff with the Lidl sign in the background would definitely be going up on the wall :lol:

Please tell me you got them to pose for a picture with you!

I don't know why, but I think a picture of me with The Chop and Geoff with the Lidl sign in the background would definitely be going up on the wall :lol:

:lol: sadly not I was in dominoes for my lunch and chops drove up and parked right beside dominoes. Probably should've added they were in training gear and thats why I mentioned it.

I assume you mean Chopra aside. It was a good idea to look at a different market to obtain players. Hasnt yielded any major successes as is stands, but still worth a go by the club, and fair play to them for that.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

I think the right idea was there in expanding the market. The real problem was these players came up with hype they never really lived up to (the videos of Isaac and the hype that livi Fernandez or whatever he goes by these days gave himself). In fairness layne bangs them in the development league but there's something stopping him doing it in the first team (pressure? Confidence?) and most of the other guys never really got a chance