The Alloa Athletic Thread

Cawley away to Dumbarton

Again...piss :(

Looks like a whole new midfield.

What's your thoughts on Cawley?

He's a bit mercurial, but can be quite a handful when he's having a good day. Quite a shot on him too; he's scored a few crackers from long range. We've used him mainly in an attacking capacity, but DanLen (my apologies) seems to have been encouraging him to get back and defend more too, and he's been surprisingly good at it. There were a couple of games where he was providing support for Daryll Meggatt, and it worked very nicely indeed. Quite good in the air too, considering he's tiny.

Surprised he's been allowed to leave, as I'd have thought Lennon would have been impressed by his efforts. Definitely would've kept him, myself.

I'll be very disappointed if it's confirmed that Kev Cawley is away. He has been a great player for us over the last few years, albeit last season probably wasn't his best.

He's tricky and good with the ball at his feet, albeit he has a habit of overdoing things a bit.

A big loss for us.

I'll be very disappointed if it's confirmed that Kev Cawley is away. He has been a great player for us over the last few years, albeit last season probably wasn't his best.

He's tricky and good with the ball at his feet, albeit he has a habit of overdoing things a bit.

A big loss for us.

Been confirmed on our website that he has signed.

He's listed as a striker but from the description given it sounds like you guys have deployed him in midfield?

Been confirmed on our website that he has signed.

He's listed as a striker but from the description given it sounds like you guys have deployed him in midfield?

Yep. We had him down as a forward too, but he's been used as an attacking midfielder.

Be interesting to see if you play him up front. Certainly has an eye for goal. Dink's comments are spot on, so maybe playing as a straight striker would help with his occasional over elaboration. He's capable of more, though.

Not too upset by Cawley leaving, faded badly until Lennon came in but in my opinion struggled at times in the Championship.

In League 2 and 1 he was without doubt outstanding but in the Championship i felt he wanted too much time on the ball that simply he didnt have. A bit like McCord, Cawley probably felt that he had done his time at Alloa and needed a new fresh challenge which you cant hold against him and with absolutely no disrespect to Dumbarton if Cawley was going to stay at this level it would only be with a fellow part time team as i dont think he is ready or good enough for a full time team yet. Good luck to him though, he is going to a good side where ex waspees have flourished in the past.

As for us its going to be interesting to see how Lennon plans to set us up, maybe a bit more solid than we have been as there doesnt appear to be any team potentially weaker than us at the moment and with us losing some of our better players he certainly has a job on his hands if we are to compete next season.

Gutted to see Kevin go was always a player who gave 100% whether he was having a good game or not and as someone said scored a few cracking goals for us so it's dissapointing especially to another part time team who we will hopefully be fighting it out with but hopefully Danny has his eye on a few players and we can build ourselves up to be avoiding relegation battles like Dumbarton seem to have managed doing.

I am very disappointed that both McCord and Cawley are away. They, in my opinion, are the two best 'ball-players' we have. They had skill, composure, the intelligence to see most of what was available and they certainly contributed in the goals department. Sometimes spectacularly so. They weren't only that though. They weren't shy about putting the effort in. They didn't miss many games through injury either.

Very good signings for Raith and Dumbarton.

I predict that both will flourish at their new clubs. Also that Lennon, and some of the support, might just wish we'd managed to keep a hold of them.

Hope I'm wrong!

Sons web site confirms Kev has signed a one year deal . Great 4 seasons for the Wasps

Good luck to him

Just to confirm Kevin was offered a contract by the Alloa fc

Edited by Wasps1

None of our players are signed up as yet mate. Don't know if he has offers.

I think the definite players for next season are Layne, Rutherford, Hamilton and McNeil. Hopefully the majority of players who haven't left resign and we convince Benedictus to join us.

I think the definite players for next season are Layne, Rutherford, Hamilton and McNeil. Hopefully the majority of players who haven't left resign and we convince Benedictus to join us.

Did Layne and Rutherford sign up for eighteen months in January? Makes sense, I guess. You wouldn't move that far for just a few guaranteed months work.

Did Layne and Rutherford sign up for eighteen months in January? Makes sense, I guess. You wouldn't move that far for just a few guaranteed months work.

I think so, I think I saw the same names mentioned on the AlloaWasps Twitter page earlier on.

Nobody will be in any way surprised to read that I'm really, really hoping to see Ben & Bene back in our defence next season :P

...and Jason Marr too, obviously :thumsup2

Who's all been released from Livi? I'd take Jason Talbot and Myles Hippolyte at The Recs next season. Sure enough Talbot is a bit of a hatchet man but I'd still like him. Jordan White as well if he's been released.