The Alloa Athletic Thread

Recs hasnt been sold. It's been renamed in a sponsorship deal.

Smith's record was dreadful. Personally I'd got to the point where I was just expecting us to be beaten by a goal every week. We are in a difficult league but look at Dumbarton. They seem to be doing alright. We should be looking to compete with them and we just aren't.

I'm not going to join in on the Mulraney debate but his statement yesterday went something like - Smith is a fantastic manager who will have a great career in management and that he was an excellant manager for us.

Utter nonsence.

Programme Contributor didn't word it too well I thought he meant the ground had been sold. Don't see how he can complain about the Indrodrill sponsorship money for old rope fans will still refer to it as the Recs.

I would agree with you about the statement re Smith really fantastic manager 6 league wins in 14 months and two of them against Cowden, I'm sure clubs will be smashing his door down to offer him a job :lol:

Your complaint seems to be that Barry Smith couldn't match Paul Hartley- which was only to be expected. Alloa's last four years or so have been their greatest in my lifetime so far, this team is their best in that time, and both Hartley and Smith over-achieved with meagre resources- leaving the club in great nick for your next manager (hopefully not Darren Young.)

I can concede my knowledge of Alloa to your expertise- but "under-achievement" shouldn't be in your vocabulary!

The debate here never had anything to do with Smith matching Paul Hartley, I was simply responding to your (wrong) assertion that Smith over-achieved in keeping Alloa up last season. He quite clearly didn't. I also question whether or not doing it again this season would have been "massive over-achievement" in the circumstances, although it would have certainly been laudable.

Since you have now brought up I never expected Smith to match Hartley nor would it have been fair to do so. Getting Alloa to 4th in the First Division is very clearly "over-achievement". I agree wholeheartedly that the last four years have been a special, special time for Alloa and that Barry Smith deserves his share of credit for some truly fantastic days. His place in Alloa's history is safe for the Rangers and Hibs wins and a draw at Ibrox too. "Meagre resources" - I'm not sure about that given they were both very well backed in terms of part-time football.

As for the Mulraney debate, does anybody really believe Alloa would be where they are now if he hadn't taken control? The club has been transformed on and off the pitch. Crazy stuff.

As for the Mulraney debate, does anybody really believe Alloa would be where they are now if he hadn't taken control? The club has been transformed on and off the pitch. Crazy stuff.

Exactly, Say what you want about Mike's business outwith football that's peoples opinions but his work for Alloa has been nothing short of amazing he's transformed the club and used his contacts to get us income for the pitch and the stadium renaming, Getting Hartley in was a risk but turned out to be one of the most successful periods in our history. Unfortunately we didn't get lucky 2nd time round but if we stay up this season it'll be a massive achievement I can't remember the last time Alloa sustained 2nd tier football for this amount of consecutive seasons.

Edited by number one wasp

Exactly, Say what you want about Mike's business outwith football that's peoples opinions but his work for Alloa has been nothing short of amazing he's transformed the club and used his contacts to get us income for the pitch and the stadium renaming, Getting Hartley in was a risk but turned out to be one of the most successful periods in our history. Unfortunately we didn't get lucky 2nd time round but if we stay up this season it'll be a massive achievement I can't remember the last time Alloa sustained 2nd tier football for this amount of consecutive seasons.

In the current league structure I don't think they have?

In the current league structure I don't think they have?

Current structure no obviously since it got changed to the championship the year we won the playoffs but i was meaning in general including the old first division we always seemed to be a 1 season in the division then back to the 2nd.

Current structure no obviously since it got changed to the championship the year we won the playoffs but i was meaning in general including the old first division we always seemed to be a 1 season in the division then back to the 2nd.

I was including the first division in the current structure

Before last season, Alloa had only consolidated themselves in the second tier on one other occasion in their history- 1982/83.

McBookie shortlist:

Danny Lennon 3/1, Billy Stark 6/1, Darren Young 6/1, Barry Ferguson 8/1, Steve Aitken 8/1, John McGlynn 8/1, Kenny Shiels 10/1, Derek Adams 10/1, Steven Pressley 12/1, Allan Johnston 12/1, Jim Jefferies 12/1, Neil McCann 12/1, Brian Reid 16/1, John Robertson 16/1, Gus McPherson 16/1, Jimmy Calderwood 20/1. Others on demand.

https://m.mcbookie.com/?btagid=#/sports/3/meetings/126456098/events/582859500

I'd like Johnston to get the job.

McBookie shortlist:

Danny Lennon 3/1, Billy Stark 6/1, Darren Young 6/1, Barry Ferguson 8/1, Steve Aitken 8/1, John McGlynn 8/1, Kenny Shiels 10/1, Derek Adams 10/1, Steven Pressley 12/1, Allan Johnston 12/1, Jim Jefferies 12/1, Neil McCann 12/1, Brian Reid 16/1, John Robertson 16/1, Gus McPherson 16/1, Jimmy Calderwood 20/1. Others on demand.

https://m.mcbookie.com/?btagid=#/sports/3/meetings/126456098/events/582859500

I'd like Johnston to get the job.

Some good names in there (in amongst the usual shite), if I were an Alloa fan I'd be happy with Lennon, Aitken or Johnston. Young could be a shout too but he's not been in a job long.

Programme Contributor deserves respect for his contributions to the Alloa programme in the past - think he did it for 7 years or so - fair play to him for that, always a good read and much missed... not sure if I agree with him about MM though, who undoubtedly has been a force for good at Alloa.

Programme Contributor deserves respect for his contributions to the Alloa programme in the past - think he did it for 7 years or so - fair play to him for that, always a good read and much missed... not sure if I agree with him about MM though, who undoubtedly has been a force for good at Alloa.

^^^ Programme Contributor back tracks! :lol: