The Alloa Athletic Thread

Alloa could do a lot worse than take a chance of Stephen O'Donnell. He's been injured for the best part of 18 months so it'd be a massive gamble but he's finally back to full fitness, he was our captain under Barry Smith and when fit, is easily one of the best central midfielders in this league.

I think the vast majority would go along with this. However it's still a pretty weak pre-season with the exception of Oban and Northampton.

1 or 2 Premiership teams maybe like St Mirren and Kilmarnock or similar level could and would have been brilliant. Depends what the plans are for pre-season though, i'm assuming games against the likes of the Shire may be a reserve or almost reserve team with the Northampton game being a starting 11 or there abouts

Why would we play a reserve team when the objective of pre season friendlies is to get the first team squad fit and ready for the season ahead?

I hear we are lining up matches against Bayern Munich and Real Madrid for the first eleven.

Why would we play a reserve team when the objective of pre season friendlies is to get the first team squad fit and ready for the season ahead?

Alot of teams play a reserve team or younger team in pre-season friendlies to see if anyone stands out for the first team. All i'm saying is teams like East Stirlingshire won't really help the first team very much so I couldn't see a starting 11 full of first team players involved.

What was Derek Riordan like with you lot? Did he show any glimpses of ability?

He seemed like he could've been decent if he hadn't picked up an injury although when he did recover from the injury it looked like Barry Smith had no intention of playing him

I felt he was hard done by last season and should've got a crack at the championship. He was certainly better than Creanay who was basically his replacement. He can play left mid as well as left back as well, and by the sounds of it a great lad to have around the club. Some of the players tweets regarding his return seem to indicate this anyway. He was also Stranraers player of the year last season!

Tiffoney resigned as well. Happy with this again. Pretty versatile and put in some good performances towards the end of last season. Particularly the few games he filled in at left back.

I don't think Bain would sign with Dundee to sit on the bench for the season.

To be honest I think Bain will eventually be our number one this season. Hartley will stick with Letheren to begin with after his performances last season but Bain will gradually slip in.

pencils, on 29 May 2014 - 19:07, said:

I don't think Bain would sign with Dundee to sit on the bench for the season.

He's signing to battle it out with Letheren. I'd imagine Letheren will start as number one, but I don't think Hartley's his greatest fan and will eventually go with his own man.

Mark docherty back at alloa, bit of a strange 1 for me. Surely only cover for me.

I thought that when we signed him back in 2011 but he proved me wrong and really came onto a game with Alloa. Always did well when covering at LB and in midfield he used the ball well, worked really hard and had a terrific shot when close to the goal. It must have been a touch and go decision to let him go last summer and I can see why it was done. In the end though, given the boys that came in after that, I think he would have been good to keep. As pencils said you would take Sparky ahead of Creaney at LB and I would far rather have had his drive in left midfield than Caddis too. He has obviously had a really good year at Stranraer since leaving us and I'm glad to see him back at Alloa, he has earned his shot at the Championship.

Ryan McCord signing again is superb news for us. Such a key man for Alloa and one of the players I feared we would lose. One of the best midfielders we have had in my time following Alloa and I'm delighted that he will be in our team again next season. Tiff is a really good signing too, hasn't had too many games in his favoured position at Alloa but always does a job wherever he is used. I'm sure he is chuffed that he is again playing at a higher level than Ayr United :thumsup2 .

Have to say I haven't seen Weatherston play for a few seasons and he seems to have had a couple of setbacks after being a great prospect at QP. He should bring real pace in the attacking positions and there is no doubt that is something we badly missed last season. Welcome to him and hopefully will be a good option for us.

Have to say I haven't seen Weatherston play for a few seasons and he seems to have had a couple of setbacks after being a great prospect at QP. He should bring real pace in the attacking positions and there is no doubt that is something we badly missed last season. Welcome to him and hopefully will be a good option for us.

Any pace he once had has long gone. He's a lazy waste of space. That said, in the last few weeks of the season he scored a good few crucial goals for us, but for the majority of the season, he hardly gave any effort. He's clearly got talent, and perhaps playing against better sides will motivate him, but he's certainly not the speed merchant he used to be, that's for sure.