The Alloa Athletic Thread

On 05/03/2023 at 11:26, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Wee bit disappointed more supporters didn't go through for the game, was a far smaller number of away fans at East End than more recent fixtures there.

Thought that too , i fear the same for the Edinburgh game ( i wont make it )

the away support at falkirk always seems to be better for some reason ? .

£20 just for the entry to a game in the third tier of Scottish Football, then add the travel and cost of food/drink and it is no wonder the support was so low, especially given the price of fuel and food at the moment. 

The cost and quality of football in recent months under Rice doesn't exactly motivate me to go to away games either.

20 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

This weeks episode of the podcast is up and a review of Dunfermline and preview of Edinburgh sandwiches a couple of lively debates about the manner of the goals we've conceded at one end, and our talismanic Irishman at the other.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Good debate on Sammon, I can see both sides although I'm probably tending more towards Kevchenko's opinion.

3 hours ago, printer said:

Good debate on Sammon, I can see both sides although I'm probably tending more towards Kevchenko's opinion.

As am I. There’s this constant debate about who should be playing alongside MacIver but as far as I’m concerned he should be up there as a lone striker with an additional attacking midfielder in behind alongside Coulson (Cawley, O’Donnell, Donnelly etc.). Sammon has too many off weeks to make it worthwhile having him in the team in case he has one of his games out of 10 where he is excellent, and more often than not is worse than a man short.

25 minutes ago, AlloaAdam said:

As am I. There’s this constant debate about who should be playing alongside MacIver but as far as I’m concerned he should be up there as a lone striker with an additional attacking midfielder in behind alongside Coulson (Cawley, O’Donnell, Donnelly etc.). Sammon has too many off weeks to make it worthwhile having him in the team in case he has one of his games out of 10 where he is excellent, and more often than not is worse than a man short.

I think that's harsh. Worth listening to Keiran's side of the argument in the podcast if you haven't already done so. He makes some good points in Sammo's favour.

1 hour ago, printer said:

I think that's harsh. Worth listening to Keiran's side of the argument in the podcast if you haven't already done so. He makes some good points in Sammo's favour.

Yeah I did listen and you are right he does raise some valid points. I think my main issue with Sammon is I don't know what he's actually up there to do. MacIver win's flick ons and drops deep to get on the ball, whereas Sammon doesn't run in behind, he doesn't win headers, he doesn't have a good enough first touch to hold the ball in and isn't good enough at linking the play to drop deeper. Just think we'd be much better off with an additional midfielder to play off the striker and allow us to have more control of games.

I can see some of the points people are making but I still don't understand the excessive criticism of Sammon and the clamour from some to get him out of the starting 11. He has his off days, his all round game is a bit patchy and he's definitely a confidence player. But the guy has done the business for us this season. He has as many goals as Kevin O'Hara had achieved at this same stage a few seasons back. He puts a real shift in every game, whether he's on it or not. And give him the right kind of service and he'll put the ball in the net.

The guys covered it well on the podcast.

Just had a listen to this weeks podcast, another good listen. Appreciate your time spent on this. I have to say that it’s been a frustration of mine all season how easy it is for teams to get crosses in against us. Our full backs tend to back off and let attackers into positions to deliver good balls in. I don’t know why it hasn’t changed as Rice has said numerous times we need to stop the crosses coming in. I find myself shouting to get a bloody tackle in. Hogarth improving but I’ve got my head in my hands at some of his attempts at collecting crosses 🫣 I appreciate it’s probably a loan condition he plays but I still think Muir is a better keeper and think we’d have conceded less goals this season had he been playing. 
Hopefully todays game goes ahead and we get a result. 

Just catching up with the podcast and another good listen. I absolutely feel that the frequent changes in personnel and shape at the back means we are inevitably not going to be as solid as we could be. Here we are in March and there isn't an established CB partnership. The best Alloa teams have been built on a well drilled defence and indeed an established midfield axis in front of them, something else we have lacked. The counter argument which I saw from AlloaStats on twitter is that we are capable of frequently switching shape. That's a fair point but I'd still argue that it's possible to adapt and swap shape without changing personnel and formation anywhere near as frequently as we have this season. There is a balance! 

Enjoyed the Sammo debate too. I'd also be a fan of the big man and would also quite often be frustrated by him! He is clearly a confidence player but also hasn't been helped by ending up being paired with MacIver fairly regularly, something which doesn't suit either player or the team. A friend of mine who is a Killie fan always says Sammo was at this best with Eremenko just behind him and we are well off in terms of creative men who can play that role. That's the best way to use Sammo and if we are playing someone up with him it needs to be a tricky player rather than MacIver - and that's also the kind of partner MacIver needs if he is up top in a two. Rice's first match saw Sammo have a stormer with a quick, tricky partner in Boyd and Scougall in behind. Similarly we will all remember the damage MacIver did up top with Henderson against Montrose. But as a pair it tends to be hard work. To be fair to the manager I don't think he would have intended them to end up playing together as a two so often. 

Brilliant score at the weekend. The first game at Meadowbank was obviously a really sore one but the team have done well to get some revenge by taking maximum points from them since. Must be aiming now for 6 points from the next 2 games which would put us in a really strong position going into the last few weeks of the season. 

Edited by Waspie

In Coulson, MacIver and Donnelly all of a sudden we seem to have unearthed a triumvirate of Salah/Firminho/Mane proportions.

In all seriousness, they did link really well together on Saturday. Strongly suspect Coulsons goal was a sliced cross that the keeper completely sold the jerseys with- but he deserved the goal for his overall impact on the game, and indeed the Alloa team recently.

3 hours ago, Waspie said:

Just catching up with the podcast and another good listen. I absolutely feel that the frequent changes in personnel and shape at the back means we are inevitably not going to be as solid as we could be. Here we are in March and there isn't an established CB partnership. The best Alloa teams have been built on a well drilled defence and indeed an established midfield axis in front of them, something else we have lacked. The counter argument which I saw from AlloaStats on twitter is that we are capable of frequently switching shape. That's a fair point but I'd still argue that it's possible to adapt and swap shape without changing personnel and formation anywhere near as frequently as we have this season. There is a balance! 

Totally agree. The best teams tend to be based on the back 4 picking themselves week in week out. I totally get the flexibility aspect which we certainly have at our disposal- personally just don't like  tinkering with the defence unless it's unavoidable.

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Stanger any good? Scott Burns reckons us and Partick are battling it out for him.

Got potential, but still plenty to learn IMO; wouldn't say he's ready to start for Dundee.

He's quick and decent on the ball. Not the greatest in the air despite his size, not bad though.

On 09/03/2023 at 21:14, Kevchenko said:

This weeks episode of the podcast is up and a review of Dunfermline and preview of Edinburgh sandwiches a couple of lively debates about the manner of the goals we've conceded at one end, and our talismanic Irishman at the other.

Listened to this twice now and can't find any preview of Edinburgh sandwiches. Disappointed.

Can't promise any sandwich discussion, but this week's episode of the podcast is now up.

Looking back on the Meadowbank experience, a comfortable afternoon's work and a first goal for The Mighty Quinn (thanks Robbie!), before previewing the Clyde game and making a bold prediction that hopefully doesn't bite me in the arse.

Back to back wins = a happy podcast studio! This week we review the win over Clyde and salute a magnificent strike from Murray Miller.

Then it's on to the Peterhead preview and Colin from the Blue Toon Podcast joins us again to talk through what's went wrong at Balmoor this season. (All recorded before the Davie Robertson sacking!)