The Alloa Athletic Thread

I thought we were unlucky today and were a better team all afternoon. A tale of two goalkeepers though. pJ made saves for them and our keeper was nowhere especially at crosses all day . 

Hopefully we can take points off Falkirk in the league games coming up. Honestly I have not been convinced with us all season despite the results and points tally but we looked well decent today . However that's the worst Falkirk team I've ever seen in 45 years watching football. 

Incredible to think that Herrington was surplus for them. They won't get promoted on that showing. Don't think Arbroath or accies would be worried facing them in a play off. They will be back at the Recs next season once again 

Edited by Oweny

7 minutes ago, Oweny said:

I thought we were unlucky today and were a better team all afternoon. A tale of two goalkeepers though. pJ made saves for them and our keeper was nowhere especially at crosses all day . 

Hopefully we can take points off Falkirk in the league games coming up. Honestly I have not been convinced with us all season despite the results and points tally but we looked well decent today . However that's the worst Falkirk team I've ever seen in 45 years watching football. 

Incredible to think that Herrington was surplus for them. They won't get promoted on that showing. Don't think Arbroath or accies would be worried facing them in a play off. They will be back at the Recs next season once again 

Poor performance from us today but a win is a win

56 minutes ago, Oweny said:

Tbf the Alloa goal comes from a gaff by PJ - somehow parrying what looked like a fairly harmless shot in to the middle of the goal. Also not sure if you've been living under a rock for the last 3 years but can wholeheartedly assure you the Falkirk teams of 20/21 and 21/22 were far, far worse than our current squad. Hetherington being part of the latter and rightly punted for being very shite 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

55 minutes ago, Oweny said:

Heatherington was a shite signing.

We didn’t have to be good today to see you off so would expect to hand you your arses when we up our game.

9 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Heatherington was a shite signing.

We didn’t have to be good today to see you off so would expect to hand you your arses when we up our game.

we had a hand in not letting you play ,that never seems to be taken in to account when assessing a game by a lot of fans , as has been said though Falkirk did the necesssary where we failed .

Falkirk obviously still a work in progress under McGlynn and that isn't a surprise given what he inherited, but even if they weren't at their best yesterday, they still looked better than Falkirk teams I've seen in recent times. They were well organised, hung in and took their chances when they came. The wide men were contained pretty well but you can see they could be very good on their day. If McGlynn could find a striker or two that would be a good team. They are miles ahead of the team who were relegated from the Championship. That side somehow beat us twice on our terrible wee pitch of the time but they were a dreadful team. I think McGlynn will get Falkirk up, if not this season then next. 

I was encouraged with Alloa yesterday, we looked like a team. Robbo was his old self in midfield and Scougall and Donnelly in particular brought a real creative threat. Kev was also very good and he could easily slot into that midfield if he wasn't at RWB. Keep that template and move Taggs out wide and we'd be very good. Debate to be had about Church and Strachan in the same back 5. If you felt it was bringing enough of an attacking threat then maybe, but personally I'd like to see three CBs there. Strachan and Church both did well in their spells on the flank. Thought Stanger was very good too yesterday. Encouraging all round though, looked more settled and constructive. 

Edited by Waspie

9 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Tbf the Alloa goal comes from a gaff by PJ - somehow parrying what looked like a fairly harmless shot in to the middle of the goal. Also not sure if you've been living under a rock for the last 3 years but can wholeheartedly assure you the Falkirk teams of 20/21 and 21/22 were far, far worse than our current squad. Hetherington being part of the latter and rightly punted for being very shite 

To be fair , I never seen Falkirk last season . Not under a rock but due to work commitments.  The season before I never seen anything.  Never got into watching games on computers......

Herrington was excellent in a very good Alloa midfield.  

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Falkirk obviously still a work in progress under McGlynn and that isn't a surprise given what he inherited, but even if they weren't at their best yesterday, they still looked better than Falkirk teams I've seen in recent times. They were well organised, hung in and took their chances when they came. The wide men were contained pretty well but you can see they could be very good on their day. If McGlynn could find a striker or two that would be a good team. They are miles ahead of the team who were relegated from the Championship. That side somehow beat us twice on our terrible wee pitch of the time but they were a dreadful team. I think McGlynn will get Falkirk up, if not this season then next. 

Agree with all of that.  

1 hour ago, Oweny said:

To be fair , I never seen Falkirk last season . Not under a rock but due to work commitments.  The season before I never seen anything.  Never got into watching games on computers......

Herrington was excellent in a very good Alloa midfield.  

But was utterly shite for us....a player being good for one team & hopeless for another is not a new development... you'll just have to take our word for it.... couldn't tackle without fouling & regularly misplaced 10 yard passes

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

I was encouraged with Alloa yesterday, we looked like a team. Robbo was his old self in midfield and Scougall and Donnelly in particular brought a real creative threat. Kev was also very good and he could easily slot into that midfield if he wasn't at RWB. Keep that template and move Taggs out wide and we'd be very good. Debate to be had about Church and Strachan in the same back 5. If you felt it was bringing enough of an attacking threat then maybe, but personally I'd like to see three CBs there. Strachan and Church both did well in their spells on the flank. Thought Stanger was very good too yesterday. Encouraging all round though, looked more settled and constructive. 

Decent post, and if truth be told Alloa on chances alone should have won the points. Don’t think you’ll see us that bad in the games coming up. Thought the first twenty or so minutes you played some decent stuff. 

Didn't make the game yesterday but saw on BBC live text that Scougall went off injured. Did it look bad or was it just like last week? 

Hope Rodden a speedy recovery, from what I've heard broken collarbones are not much fun.

Cup run would have been nice but would rather focus on the league and trying to stay in the playoff hunt.

1 hour ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

But was utterly shite for us....a player being good for one team & hopeless for another is not a new development... you'll just have to take our word for it.... couldn't tackle without fouling & regularly misplaced 10 yard passes

It isn't a new development and I accept Stevie H wasn't good for Falkirk last season, but then pretty much the whole team were "sh*te" according to most Falkirk posters, including  Brad Mackay,  Nesbit and Morrison.

And yet these three are all doing well this season. I think it's a fair assumption that Hetherington being poor for you was at least as much down to the general sh*teness at TFS last year rather than him being a poor player.

Hetherington looked just as shite playing in a better team this season as he did last season tbf.

Morrison has always been a good player (who was suffering in a terrible team), I think it speaks volumes that he is the only guy in the whole squad to be in third season at the club.

Nesbitt has blown very hot and cold throughout his time here, more cold than hot last year but better this season. He actually has some good qualities that have remained throughout - can see a pass, is quick, great first touch and runs about like f**k. Hetherington genuinely didnt have a single good aspect to his play. 

I dont think you'll find many Falkirk fans that rate McKay either, has played a few games at RB (and done ok) and filled in for the suspended Donaldson yesterday. A decent enough guy for cover at this level but certainly wouldnt want his starting every game. For example Sammon won more headers against him yesterday than I can remember him doing in some time 

On 24/01/2023 at 11:32, Kevchenko said:

This week's episode of the podcast is up looking back at our cup exit, debating our centre half options and looking ahead to the Airdrie game.

Thanks to @AndyDD who joins us again to talk through what's been happening at Airdrie.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Really good once again. Have to put a word in for Luke Strachan though, he was the man who made that outstanding challenge in the box against Falkirk and not Daniel Church! 

Don't understand the situation with Durnan either. Unless he is injured (or emigrating) it's very hard to see why he hasn't featured. I'd have him back in the team. 

Hope Durnan comes back in soon, he was important for us last season. He could be the third CB and allow Taggs to move to right back.

Church at CB hasn't been an issue yet, he's done better than expected.

The shape/system we've played the last few weeks has worked quite well, hopefully we'll stick to it now. 

Moving away from the Airdrie thread (which fills me with dread )🙈

the debate about Rice being good or bad , He sits somewhere in the middle of these IMO , 

Not bad enough to be looking over his shoulder but not quite getting the max from the squad we have .

So as Waspie said he will be here for a while yet . 

We have no right to beat Peterhead on saturday either so it is not a guaranteed three points by any means (our struggle against Clyde recently being a case in point ) hopefully everyone involved has learnt from the Airdrie debacle .

Also on the subject of utterly Gash Alloa teams , I have seen some right poor ensemble's in my time and it is hard to really complain , If we had the pyramid system a few (a good few ) years back we might just have went into oblivion , I think we have Mr Mulraney to thank regardless of your opinion of his business empire , we are in essence a 2nd division team it has to be said , carefull what you wish for and all of that  .