The Alloa Athletic Thread

Really good result. Performance was excellent first half, particularly Sammon, amazing what a bit of confidence can do for a player. Strachan's cross for the first goal was top class too.

Hope Scougall was just taken off as a precaution, he seemed to pull up a bit after beating two players. Donnelly showed some of his good footwork when he came on.

Thought we were a bit wasteful with the ball second half. Would have liked to see Rodden or Offord come on for the last 20 minutes to give their defence something else to think about and give us an over the top out ball.

Made hard work of that in the 2nd half but great to get a win against them finally!

First half was as good as we’ve been all season and we were unlucky not to be a couple up before the first goal. Dominating 1st half and as Rory said, Sammon was excellent - he was like a man possessed and I think I counted just 1 misplaced ball from him in the first 45. 

2nd half was torture and the midfield went missing the moment Scougall went off, but brilliant to hold on and move up to 4th. 

I’m not one to be critical of travelling supports, and we weren’t exactly packing out Palmerston last week, but regardless of what’s went on off the field, for a newly promoted team sitting 2nd, playing some very good football and scoring loads, for an away trip less than an hour up the road that was a pretty embarrassing away turnout today. 

I'm probably Sammon's biggest critic,but he was fantastic in the first half,excellent in fact.We we're great in that first half but had a poor second half when we made that first change.Also thought Offord should have replaced Sammon,as he looked knackered,as it would have given as an out ball to take the pressure off the defence as they  pushed forward.But overall you'd take that result all day long,and overall a better performance.We just to do that for both Half's from now on.

Edited by Alloa 68

Guessing the rumours of Howie away could be true since he never made the bench again?

Saw Devine sitting in the stand though, wonder how long he'll be out for. Fair play to him for still coming to watch when he's injured though.

1 hour ago, Kevchenko said:

Made hard work of that in the 2nd half but great to get a win against them finally!

First half was as good as we’ve been all season and we were unlucky not to be a couple up before the first goal. Dominating 1st half and as Rory said, Sammon was excellent - he was like a man possessed and I think I counted just 1 misplaced ball from him in the first 45. 

2nd half was torture and the midfield went missing the moment Scougall went off, but brilliant to hold on and move up to 4th. 

I’m not one to be critical of travelling supports, and we weren’t exactly packing out Palmerston last week, but regardless of what’s went on off the field, for a newly promoted team sitting 2nd, playing some very good football and scoring loads, for an away trip less than an hour up the road that was a pretty embarrassing away turnout today. 

Oh, the name change will have them flocking in any day now you know.....

Just as moving Meadowbank Thistle had them turn out in the tens of thousands 

3 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

There's no doubt Scoug's going off changed the game, although I felt Edinburgh had got their act together a bit even before that after we threatened to blow them away in the first thirty minutes. It's the first time I have seen them this season and I thought they looked a good side.

Felt that Brian Rice's first two subs were poor; Miller would have been a better bet than Cammy in the circumstances (2-0 up) and it's never a smart move to take wee Kev off when you have a lead IMO, partly because he's such a good player but mainly because no one works harder than him. Wasn't sure Luke D was the right man to come on either, especially stuck up front with McIver pulled into midfield, which isn't his position; although he did OK a genuine midfielder (e.g. Miller or moving King inside) for either Ross or Sammon would have helped us keep the ball better and made it more difficult for Edinburgh to dominate possession.

Overall though Rice and the players deserve credit for delivering two wins in row. I thought the way we set up today with Kev more central, supporting both Robbo and Stefan and also the attack worked very well.

Edited by printer

First half was the Conor Sammon show. He was at the heart of absolutely everything we did, scored 2 good headers that could have been 3 (highlights will show whether it was right to disallow his other goal). And although he didn't have as much impact after the break I thought he put in a shift in that defensive shape. Second half we had to defend a lot more but clearly Edinburgh were going to come out all guns blazing. Their goal added a bit of trepidation but I thought we coped well, we were fairly calm in the closing stages of the game.

Agree with printer I thought Cawley was having a really decent game and if you're taking him off its to try and suck the tempo out of the game and curb Edinburghs momentum. It took a while to achieve that. Despite very little attacking in the second half from Alloa I didn't think Edinburgh did enough to merit taking anything from the game. Another massive win.

Seen a comparison to this time last year on the Falkirk thread and noticed we were 8th after 21 games. 

603DA5FF-6E57-442B-A203-23131575407A.thumb.jpeg.487c91a169e47c45ec07e5bffbe24940.jpeg

9A908CF7-E3C0-4B5F-B8AB-6B39C821E752.thumb.jpeg.f93ffce01958bbb1a9b6ac882d14876e.jpeg

Obviously the bar was set pretty low last season, but good to see the improvements in position, wins and both goals scored and conceded (20 goal swing in goal difference) and points (+14). 

We are running at 1.7 points per game, the exact same as we achieved in Rice’s 10 games last season. Interestingly, if we maintain that we would finish on 60 points, which would have been good enough for 3rd last year. 

31 minutes ago, printer said:

Miller would have been a better bet than Cammy in the circumstances

Thought the exact same at the time. 

I know we haven’t played with wide midfielders at all this season, but really felt we should have went to a 5-4-1 or 4-1-4-1 with a ‘regular’ midfield 4 for a spell in the 2nd half, just to try and get a little width to our defence - although we dealt with most of what came in from out wide (and do tend to give up the wings while defending), I was getting the fear with Edinburgh consistently have 2 men wide (especially on our left) and really should have made more of their over/under laps. 

This was very similar to the away defeat. Edinburghs main weakness is an inability to defend high crosses. After we had scored our 2, 3 in the last game, we no longer went to the bye line and their defence began to cope. The second half, we couldnt keep the ball and they became threatening. This time our defence stood solid. Good result.

A great first half performance and Connor Sammon was absolutely excellent, with two great crosses from Strachan and Church. Thought Adam King was good at right back as well.

The second half we were absolutely brutal and thought history was going to repeat itself. Not much the manager could do about Scougall getting injured but taking Kevin Cawley off for Luke Donnelly was strange to say the least and left us really short in midfield when we were already playing really deep. Connor was great today but as has been said earlier, Offord should have replaced him as he looked tired.

The positives are two wins and a draw in the last four games.

All in favour of attracting young fans to the Recs but that drum today under the covered terrace was a major pain in the arse.

Edited by Magic Hat

First half as good as we have been all season .

Fully expected EC to come out and go for it as they did

As said before we coped better in defence and were much more resolute than we have been in the past few games

deserved the win by the odd goal 

Edinburgh are not sitting second for nothing and it was a good win for us,  keep up the first half display ongoing and we just might achieve something before season end  .

the drum and the peircing rain were both painfull .

Edited by Vegetableman

Agree with everyone here and the first 45 minutes was the best I've seen us all season.

Strachan has brought a bit of balance and composure to our left hand side and he had an excellent game. Church also provided a quite brilliant cross for the second and his delivery from the left hand side is also excellent. 

A proverbial game of two halves yesterday and we could have been three goals to the good before the break but Edinburgh were excellent in the second period. Credit both teams for a cracking game of football in atrocious conditions throughout. Rain that would have wiped out a tattoo to be honest. 

Edinburgh are certainties for the play offs and if we can sustain this form we won't be far away either. 

On 13/01/2023 at 09:31, printer said:

Good listen, guys.

Didn't realise it was Robbo's 500th game, so thanks for pointing that out. Tremendous achievement for a classy footballer. 

Robbo has been a terrific player for us. Brilliant professional. 

Hi all

Unlike you guys, my team is out the cup so our next home game is in a fortnight.

Looking at putting on something a bit different before the game. The Fitba Nomad is a ground hopper (from Clackmannanshire) who blogs his journeys. Last year his trip to Airdrie was his favourite day out of the year. Read the summary here:

https://thefitbanomad.wordpress.com/2022/02/13/doting-on-the-diamonds/

He’s given me a plaque to give to the club and so I’m going to be retracing his steps through 3 of the best pubs in Airdrie and onto the game.

Hoping there will be a decent turnout (my dad says he’ll come!!) and if any Alloa fans wanted to join us that would be great. Appreciate our modern stadium lacks a bit of character and so hopefully this would make for a better day out.

Bit of an early start just to allow for time in each pub and the healthy step count to the ground! Pretty big game so hope it’s a good one.

More details on a Facebook events page.

https://facebook.com/events/s/the-fitba-nomad-day/727644965254378/

Let me know if any of you fancy it. 

4 hours ago, printer said:

One thing to add, thought Hogarth was very good yesterday, excellent handling in the conditions. Similar to last week when he dealt efficiently with everything.

And Scott taggart as per usual a standout on the park .