The Alloa Athletic Thread

4 minutes ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

First half we were really poor with Strachan probably one of the top performers. Sammon and Rodden just don't work together up front.

Second half we went to 4-4-2 for a spell and dominated the game. They didn't really threat apart from a free kick off the bar and think we just deserved to win the game.

A little disappointed in the away support today, get it that the distance and weather may have put people off but wasn't many of us there.

Good 3 points and onto another big game next week.

Genuinely didn’t think we were that bad in the first half today, 2nd best but there wasn’t much in it. Even trailing at the break, we had looked much better than the 90 against Clyde (admittedly not setting a particularly high bar with that one!!) and Kelty. 

Cawley and Strachan looked to be pushed much further forward right from the start of the 2nd half and that definitely helped. 

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Saw on twitter QotS have appointed Marvin Bartley. I wonder if Rice was just rumours or if there was any communication.

Someone made it up. Pretty sure never was any truth in it.

40 minutes ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

First half we were really poor with Strachan probably one of the top performers. Sammon and Rodden just don't work together up front.

Second half we went to 4-4-2 for a spell and dominated the game. They didn't really threat apart from a free kick off the bar and think we just deserved to win the game.

A little disappointed in the away support today, get it that the distance and weather may have put people off but wasn't many of us there.

Good 3 points and onto another big game next week.

Not sure what game you were at but its not the same one I was at! At no point in that 90 mins did you 'dominate the game'. You began to offer a threat 2nd half and as usual against us took your chances and won the game. We could field the world cup winning Argentina team v Alloa and still find a way to lose. But you were never the better side in the game except for maybe the last 5 mins when seeing it out.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

22 minutes ago, printer said:

Indeed. Don't fancy Church at centre back regularly. For all his pace he just isn't a good enough defender IMO. Given today's line up, maybe Rice disagrees.

Pretty much impossible to guess what the manager thinks. Church at CB is a cracker. Puzzling call to start Rodden too, a player who should be an impact sub but who hasn't been seen even off the bench for a while then suddenly back in from the start. There was mention on the excellent podcast recently that strange team decisions only get flagged up when we lose. I'm sure people are bored of me raising it but here are I am saying the team was weird today even in victory 😁

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We could field the world cup winning Argentina game v Alloa and still find a way to lose. 

You beat us last month in a game in which we had more chances than you. 

Anyway, a welcome victory today whatever the circumstances and hopefully we can build on it. Big game next week. We certainly owe Edinburgh but can't say I'm overly confident given our two displays against them this season. Good luck to the lads predicting the team on the podcast! 

Anybody hear how Morgyn Neil got on today btw? 

No way could i make the game but sounds like the result just papered over the cracks 

more bizzare team selection quotes ,and not a great display 

Rice still does not seem to know or come even close to knowing our perfect formation .

A little later than usual, but next episode of the podcast is up - Transfers around the league, reviewing the QotS win and looking ahead to Edinburgh on Saturday. Fair to say there's a bit of a Sammon debate.

Look out for a special episode later in the week all about the Women's team, with manager Allan Salvona, ahead of their new league system starting on Sunday.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Enjoyed the pod as usual.

The result against QotS papered over the formation/lineup cracks a little. Don't think we can risk 2/3 of our CBs being full backs playing out of position, especially with 2 or 3 CBs on the bench. Wondering how far from match fitness Durnan is? 

Would like to see MacIver and Offord get another go together up top but think Rice will go with Sammon.

Hoping we can get to a settled formation and line up soon to push for the play offs.

It took us an hour to really get going on Saturday but once they did I thought they looked really good out there with that shape.

I think universally we would like to see a bit more stability in our approach but it did seem to get the best out of most of the team- eventually.

And the Sammon debate reference had me concerned he was going to get bashed but pod was right. Once he scored (mainly due to horrendous defending admittedly) he was dynamite. 

Donnellys return is a huge boost. I think we'll see an upturn in the teams productivity from that alone. Regardless of how bonkers the starting line up is- if Donnelly is in we'll do okay.

Good listen as always Kev

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

On 11/01/2023 at 23:02, Kevchenko said:

A little later than usual, but next episode of the podcast is up - Transfers around the league, reviewing the QotS win and looking ahead to Edinburgh on Saturday. Fair to say there's a bit of a Sammon debate.

Look out for a special episode later in the week all about the Women's team, with manager Allan Salvona, ahead of their new league system starting on Sunday.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Good listen, guys.

Didn't realise it was Robbo's 500th game, so thanks for pointing that out. Tremendous achievement for a classy footballer. 

Heard that the other day. The attempt to get Neil makes more sense in the context of Howie heading off. Good luck to him, a player who didn't unfortunately ever get a good run in his favoured position at Alloa for various reasons. Looked very capable on his day. 

Really enjoyed the Edinburgh preview podcast (didn't get to today's one yet). Agree strongly that Durnan should go into the team now and stay there. We know what he can do and should just give him games to get him match fit. We desperately need settled and established partnerships in key positions, the lack of which was one factor in our total collapse last time against Edinburgh. Church has done well this season (although still a work in progress defensively for me) and deserves a lot of credit, but don't see him as a CB unless in emergency, which isn't the case. But also wouldn't be surprised if the manager stuck with last week's defence. 

Enjoyed Sammon debate too. He shouldn't have started last week but after scoring and getting a lift I'd probably leave him in and hope he is set for a run of form, that's the kind of player he is. Strong case for MacIver up there too though, certainly been bringing more to the team than Sammo of late. Once Donnelly is 100% and presumably back behind the strikers, MacIver will be hard to leave out up top. Offord should start tomorrow too (and get a proper run) and I'd also give Rodden last 20 or so every week, that's where his strength is. But extremely hard to guess the team!

Would be great to beat Edinburgh after the last time in particular, but while I think we do have better players overall, they are more of a team and I'm sure will be confident of doing us over again. Mon the Wasps. 

26 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Nice wee blast from the past back at the club! Wondered what was happening with Wullie Muir after not being on the bench the last couple of weeks. 

Obviously just to cover injury ( i hope ) way past it now surely 

Shame about howie if the rumours are true , strange one with wullie muir but his family come first 

Anyone dare start a match thread for tomorrow  ? 🙈🙉🙊 .

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

Obviously just to cover injury ( i hope ) way past it now surely 

Shame about howie if the rumours are true , strange one with wullie muir but his family come first 

Anyone dare start a match thread for tomorrow  ? 🙈🙉🙊 .

Waspie starts the match thread=3 points for Alloa. A proven commodity over the years.

25 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Afraid I'm still scarred after starting the match thread for the last Edinburgh game. 

I blame the manager. If he reminded the players of this in the dressing room at Meadowbank during the half time team talk we'd have collected an easy 3 points that day.

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I blame the manager. If he reminded the players of this in the dressing room at Meadowbank during the half time team talk we'd have collected an easy 3 points that day.

AlloaStats would know for sure but did that game also smash the Alloa never lose when Andy Graham scores record? Edinburgh certainly have form going all the way back to the 1930s of making life difficult for the Wasps.