The Alloa Athletic Thread

12 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

And Stanger. Spent his whole afternoon doing that on Saturday.

Would be a very solid signing and is quite revealing regarding our current options IMO. 

I was being mischievous.  😊

15 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

And Stanger. Spent his whole afternoon doing that on Saturday.

Would be a very solid signing and is quite revealing regarding our current options IMO. 

Yeah, he and Stanger do sound like they will complement each other.

Indeed. I wonder if Howie will be sent out on loan? Manager doesn't appear to rate him. 

12 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Again, George Stanger perfect description. Would love the same back line for a run of games: Taggart, Stanger, Neil, Church.

You know we love the Ex-Sons. 

Can throw Vinnie in to the mix too when fully fit.

Yep. When we go back three, Vinnie or Big Andy can join in and we can still keep Taggs wide right in the wingback role. 

I'm quite liking this signing.

1 minute ago, printer said:

Yeah, he and Stanger do sound like they will complement each other.

Indeed. I wonder if Howie will be sent out on loan? Manager doesn't appear to rate him. 

I was wondering that too. I like Howie and think he has been pretty unfortunate at Alloa. Obviously wasn't Ferguson's signing and was used at DM by him, then covered at full-back at times when Rice came in, then injury in the summer set him back this season. Hasn't really had a run at CB and wonder has he suffered from being there the day of the Meadowbank collapse. Perhaps he still has a role to play. 

CB would have been very low on my list of priorities have to say and don't think Neil is really an upgrade on what we have. But in fairness Rice has already signed a very good CB in Stanger and hopefully this is equally successful, if it does indeed go through. 

59 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Again, George Stanger perfect description. Would love the same back line for a run of games: Taggart, Stanger, Neil, Church.

You know we love the Ex-Sons. 

Can throw Vinnie in to the mix too when fully fit.

I had sort of forgotten Stanger was at you guys. He looked very comfortable on the ball when he played centre-half for us (and not at all comfortable at right-back!) Him and Morgyn should work together I'd think. 

Should add as well, I don't think I've seen a defender as good in the air as Morgyn at DFC. There were games where I'm absolutely sure he didn't lose a single header. He's ridiculously aggressive at attacking high balls.

1 hour ago, Kevchenko said:

That's this week's episode of the podcast up - Kelty review, chat on a rumoured signing, Paddy Connolly and QotS preview.

If there's anything you want us to discuss in future episodes just let us know.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

The Cove posters above maybe got in my head a little bit too much when I said Neil goes right in if he signs. Looking at the news up North, we might not be so lucky after all. 

56 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

The Cove posters above maybe got in my head a little bit too much when I said Neil goes right in if he signs. Looking at the news up North, we might not be so lucky after all. 

I believe he's playing in a bounce game tonight for alloa though if Hartley gets the gig he may look to keep him.

17 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Move on hold..didnt play last night. 

Hartley back to Cove and the defender they had on loan from Killie has been recalled so not sure we'll get Neil now, unless Hartley doesn't rate him.

Any word on Offord? Hoping no news is good news in his case

2 minutes ago, Rory said:

Hartley back to Cove and the defender they had on loan from Killie has been recalled so not sure we'll get Neil now, unless Hartley doesn't rate him.

Yeah, definitely been several moving pieces with Cove/Neill in last 24-48 hours!

Hope it still happens but can understand if it doesn’t now. 

19 minutes ago, Rory said:

Yeah that looks unlikely now. These things happen. St Mirren have an option to recall Offord right about now I'm sure. I think we need to use him more if I'm honest. He's probably better off at us than sitting on St Mirrens bench. St Mirren not exactly struggling right now so I can't see a huge clamour from his parent club to get him back.

I think our priority should be a defensive centre midfielder, Robbo looks very laboured to me these days, he's maybe playing through injury though, 

There was talk at start of season about Liam Brown from Queen's Park and I see hes not had much action this season, He started a loan at stennie but didn't last long, always thought he looked a decent player 

If you believe the rumours Brown already turned us down before ultimately ending up at Stenny. That loan ended very quickly with a statement from Stenny that they didn't expect him to play for them again due to an ongoing medical issue. He is a good player and hopefully he is on the mend but pretty sure he won't be coming to Alloa. 

Neil deal probably unlikely too given he had been a regular under Hartley before being frozen out under Mcintyre. I think we already have CB options just as good if not better anyway. 

Agree that another CM option would be good and also that we need to be giving Offord more games. 

2 hours ago, Wee wasp said:

I think our priority should be a defensive centre midfielder, Robbo looks very laboured to me these days, he's maybe playing through injury though, 

There was talk at start of season about Liam Brown from Queen's Park and I see hes not had much action this season, He started a loan at stennie but didn't last long, always thought he looked a decent player 

9 minutes ago, Waspie said:

If you believe the rumours Brown already turned us down before ultimately ending up at Stenny. That loan ended very quickly with a statement from Stenny that they didn't expect him to play for them again due to an ongoing medical issue. He is a good player and hopefully he is on the mend but pretty sure he won't be coming to Alloa.

I'm absolutely certain he won't be. He's played for both Queen's Park and Stenhousemuir this season so he can't play for anyone else at League level.

I only see us bringing in another centre defender if David Devine goes back to Motherwell. 

Also what happened to the boy seff Khayyam we signed in the summer, is he still at be the club?

Definitely think we need another centre midfielder too, I see Stevie hetherington is barely playing at Falkirk, I would take him back in a heartbeat and feel we are missing someone like him in our midfield.