The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 hours ago, geo87 said:

How is Offord getting on? He looking comfortable at this level? I’m guessing we will try and punt Brophy in January and bring back either Jamieson or Offord for some game time.

Cheers

He's doing OK. Scored a good goal yesterday (his second). He's mainly been on the bench with a couple of starts. Certainly has talent, but I'd say he's not ready for St Mirren's first team yet. I'd expect him to stay with us this season and then, maybe, go out to a championship side next year.

Hi,

I've created a document describing and providing evidence for the actual events that led to your club's formation::

https://thebeautifuldribblinggame.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/alloa_formation.pdf

The above also contains pictures of James Rigg (in later years) who instigated the club's formation (in 1880) and was the first captain, and Henry Goodyear who first introduced association football to Alloa - and scored the only goal in the first association match ever held on West End Park, in 1879.

Below is an extract covering the matches between the two clubs (who were allegedly the one and the same according to the popular "Clackmannan renamed to Alloa" fake news).

Alloa v Clackmannan County Matches

Alloa played several matches against Clackmannan County during the 1880-81 season. The two clubs also joined forces as "Clackmannanshire Association Football Clubs" for one charity match against Pilgrims (Glasgow) for the benefit of the poor and neglected children of the Alloa Industrial Home.

Matches :

November 6th, 1880 Alloa 3-0 Clackmannan, at West End Park

February 5th, 1881 Alloa 0-2 Clackmannan, at West End Park

May 14th, 1881 Alloa 2-2 Clackmannan, at West End Park

Charity Match:

The November 6th Alloa v Clackmannan County match, listed above, was used as a trial for the selection of the combined "Clackmannanshire Association Football Clubs" team which would take part in the December charity match against Pilgrims (Glasgow). The charity event was held on December 4th, 1880, at Alloa Park, which was kindly provided by the Honorary Earl of Mar and Kellie. The final result of the sixty minute match was:

Clackmannanshire Association Football Clubs 0-7 Pilgrims (Glasgow)

James Rigg was the combined home team's captain.

Enjoy!

9 hours ago, free beer said:

Hi,

I've created a document describing and providing evidence for the actual events that led to your club's formation::

https://thebeautifuldribblinggame.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/alloa_formation.pdf

The above also contains pictures of James Rigg (in later years) who instigated the club's formation (in 1880) and was the first captain, and Henry Goodyear who first introduced association football to Alloa - and scored the only goal in the first association match ever held on West End Park, in 1879.

Below is an extract covering the matches between the two clubs (who were allegedly the one and the same according to the popular "Clackmannan renamed to Alloa" fake news).

Alloa v Clackmannan County Matches

Alloa played several matches against Clackmannan County during the 1880-81 season. The two clubs also joined forces as "Clackmannanshire Association Football Clubs" for one charity match against Pilgrims (Glasgow) for the benefit of the poor and neglected children of the Alloa Industrial Home.

Matches :

November 6th, 1880 Alloa 3-0 Clackmannan, at West End Park

February 5th, 1881 Alloa 0-2 Clackmannan, at West End Park

May 14th, 1881 Alloa 2-2 Clackmannan, at West End Park

Charity Match:

The November 6th Alloa v Clackmannan County match, listed above, was used as a trial for the selection of the combined "Clackmannanshire Association Football Clubs" team which would take part in the December charity match against Pilgrims (Glasgow). The charity event was held on December 4th, 1880, at Alloa Park, which was kindly provided by the Honorary Earl of Mar and Kellie. The final result of the sixty minute match was:

Clackmannanshire Association Football Clubs 0-7 Pilgrims (Glasgow)

James Rigg was the combined home team's captain.

Enjoy!

Excellent work! I have long regarded the 1878 date as being wrong after coming across those games between Alloa and Clackmannan County in the newspaper archive. 

A few technical issues last week meant the podcast never went up - I've stuck the episode up now in case anyone wants to pretend that Saturday didn't happen and just enjoy pumping QoS instead.

We will be back later this week, with a special guest to help us preview the Open Goal Broomhill game.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

I think we scored 5 goals from 5 efforts on target in the game against QoS. At 3.20 on Saturday we had scored 3 goals from our first 3 efforts at Meadowbank. 8 in a row is some effort 😁. Obviously what followed wasn't quite as impressive. 

4 hours ago, Waspie said:

I think we scored 5 goals from 5 efforts on target in the game against QoS. At 3.20 on Saturday we had scored 3 goals from our first 3 efforts at Meadowbank. 8 in a row is some effort 😁. Obviously what followed wasn't quite as impressive. 

I was thinking that myself , the defensive part needs work though , Willie Muir was less than inspiring and we can take solace that we had so many missing . we can recover and do well , but !  like some i still feel mr Rice is not getting the absolute best from the squad .

8 hours ago, Waspie said:

Aggregate 8-4 sounds decent for this years edition of the playoffs.

I don't know what was going on today but the SPFL were posting our exploits non-stop. Assume they're trying to highlight the teams still playing over winter.

57 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Aggregate 8-4 sounds decent for this years edition of the playoffs.

I don't know what was going on today but the SPFL were posting our exploits non-stop. Assume they're trying to highlight the teams still playing over winter.

I think they’re going through the 30 teams still playing in alphabetical order, they started with Airdrie on Saturday. It’s quite a good idea to be fair, I certainly enjoyed seeing the goals from that game against Rangers today anyway!

19 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Pretty decent coverage through SPFL site on Monday- a real pity that after Saturdays outcome I had little enthusiasm for it 🙂

Having some of Edinburgh goals filtered through Monday's series of tweets definitely put a dampner on it, but enjoyed it. Good stuff mate, and cracking fives team.

Tommy Hutchison 

Tommy will return to Recreation Park for the first time in fifty years on December 17 when the Wasps play Falkirk. 
He will be chatting  to fans, having photos and signing copies of his new book. 
Tommy is a funny but very humble man and will enjoy talking to fans about any aspect of his life or career be it playing for Wasps of playing for Scotland.

If you can’t make the game but would like a copy of the book, please use the form below.

Hutch' order form

Edited by Mr Magic