The Alloa Athletic Thread

A wee bonus episode of the podcast this week as @KierenAAFC caught up with former Wasp Mark Docherty.

Worth a listen to reminisce over one of the most successful periods for the club as he talks through the highs and lows of his two spells at Alloa - League champions, playoff winners, beating Rangers, Michael Chopra randomly appearing on the team bus on the way to his first game...as well as the emotional side of leaving the club.

We'll be back with the usual weekly episode on Thursday

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

On 20/09/2022 at 18:51, Kevchenko said:

A wee bonus episode of the podcast this week as @KierenAAFC caught up with former Wasp Mark Docherty.

Worth a listen to reminisce over one of the most successful periods for the club as he talks through the highs and lows of his two spells at Alloa - League champions, playoff winners, beating Rangers, Michael Chopra randomly appearing on the team bus on the way to his first game...as well as the emotional side of leaving the club.

We'll be back with the usual weekly episode on Thursday

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Great listen. Sparky is really good value. So passionate.

Interesting to hear that the Hartley players still have a WhatsApp group and that many of them are still very close. 

Good podcast again, mental to remember that at one point Rangers, Hearts and Hibs were all in the championship though!

Guessing we'll be missing Hogarth on Friday since he was called up to the Scotland U21. Saw Offord was on the bench for the U19s too the other day.

3 hours ago, printer said:

Great listen. Sparky is really good value. So passionate.

Interesting to hear that the Hartley players still have a WhatsApp group and that many of them are still very close. 

Yeah we were chatting about that when we were recording today’s episode yesterday, pretty cool that there’s still a bunch of them doing that. 

Really enjoyed listening to Sparky on the podcast and great memories of some really special times for the club. We were spoiled with so many terrific players and managers. Enjoyed his thoughts on King Kev at RWB back too 😁. Was a good result against Montrose last week but hopefully have Taggs back on the right and Kev further up asap. 

Looking forward to seeing the team in action tomorrow night. Hadn't realised Hogarth would be unavailable but was thinking this would be a good game to give Muir a shot anyway. Would imagine some others who have been on the fringes will get a run too, but with the recent additions we have depth now which should allow us to make a few changes for this kind of game and still field a decent team. 

4 hours ago, printer said:

Can I just check you can pay cash at the gate (in these digital times)?

I paid cash at the Montrose game (stupidly forgot my season ticket and I wasn't driving back to Edinburgh to get it).

Enjoyed the game tonight and certainly more open than a league match. Thought Alloa did very well given the 9 changes and deserved the win with a dominant second half in particular. Have to say it was a bizarre decision to start a rookie RB on the left of a back three and we looked ropey initially, but credit to the manager for changing that quickly. McLaren went on to play well at RB, and should say too that Buchanan had started well at RWB. 

Wee lack of composure in attack at times which meant we had to wait a long time for the goal and also letting Airdrie off for some very dodgy defending. Overall a good win and valuable game time for players who have been on the fringes, a number of whom did enough to suggest they are capable of doing a job. Great to have the live stream back too. 

Edited by Waspie

Good result, probably could have scored 3/4. First half we were a bit shaky, probably a 50/50 game but like Montrose, we dominated the second half.

Rodden deserved a goal tonight, he chased every ball and put a few decent crosses in. Don't think Donnelly done much covering the MacIver/Sammon. For a tall guy, he looks better with the ball at his feet and had a few good touches. Church looked good down the left.

Muir done well, couple of good saves/takes under pressure. Good to have two capable keepers.

Was a little surprised Rice risked Scoogs after he went off on Saturday

Enjoyable game and good win. Thought we deserved it overall, in particular for the second half, even if Airdrie had some good chances, especially first half.

Thought the players who came in did OK, but none of them showed enough to suggest they should start IMO. Having said that, good to see McLaren and Buchanan get game time and they showed potential, although they clearly have a way to go to really compete for a first team place.

For me McIver coming on made a big difference, with his clever hold up play and flicks. And can't argue with Sammon nicking another goal.

Special mention to Taggs and Andy G again. Solid as a rock.

Four wins on the bounce. Very nice.

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

Like Waspie I really enjoyed the game , Young lads did well 

they proved their worth for sure 

Taggs showing Airdrie what they missed (If the pre season rumours were true that is )

deserved to win on the 2nd half display . 

Taggart or Cammy Ballantyne,    for me Taggs is a far more solid player in different positions, or put it this way he always plays well against Airdrie

To make nine changes to the team and the levels not to drop is really encouraging. Second half we dominated a strong Airdrie side and should've had a few more goals. I know the visitors played a bit better in the first half but that was still a half where we should've had a few goals again, Rodden and Donnelly in particular. Thought we were excellent throughout. 

I like how the manager doesn't wait till we are one down to change the formation and moving Buchanan and McLaren definitely helped, especially the latter's, game. None of them looked out of place. Same could be said for Miller who I thought was very good, was a big night for him to make a mark and he did himself no wrong with that performance. Donnelly is an intelligent player too, always in the pocket amd available as an option, I like that. Not as intelligent as the magician, Scougall. Ninety minutes under his belt and looked good with it. A fina lchange worth highlighting is Muir. Swap our goalkeeper and no real notable downgrade, although I prefer Hogarth's distribution, Muir was still good at that and just further emphasises the quality in-depth.

Thougtht we were going to get hit on the sucker punch but credit to big Sammo, another important goal for us. We deserved that. We've managed to make all these changes and not break the momentum the team is building, four wins on the bounce is superb and definitely a different narrative to post-Edinburgh game. It is nice to be in the next round too, a favourable draw would be good. Speaking to Sparky this week reminded me of the good memories you can get if you get far in this competition. It is more the initial first rounds, that maybe are mid-week with a changed side that are the hardest to get through.

Thought it was a pretty good cup tie last night and was a bigger crowd than I expected, which was good. 

Airdrie definitely should have scored in the first half but were very wasteful with their end product. 

Like that we pressed so high and especially that we looked to pressure the young Airdrie keeper when it went back to him, as he looked a bit of a liability with the ball at feet, he did produce and outstanding save from Donnelly right at the end of the first half though. 

Second half was excellent from an Alloa perspective and there was a long period where Airdrie couldn’t get out their own half. Was starting to think the goal wasn’t going to come but glad we got there in the end. 

Of the guys who came in to the team, I thought McLaren did well when moved out to the right and the Murray Miller had a really good game in midfield.