The Alloa Athletic Thread

21 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

What’s the script with Mr Howie guys? Injured or not fancied at the minute?

Injured, was going for surgery according to a report in the Alloa Advertiser a few weeks back. He did very well after Rice came in last season and certainly earned his new deal. 

Another surprise tonight I think with the arrival of a CB. Just like we were well covered for big strikers who can hold the ball up and bring others into play, we appeared to have more depth at CB than any other area of the squad. Can only assume this is because of the aforementioned injury to Howie and expectation that Durnan won't be available every week for a spell. Anyway, welcome to David and all the best. 

Going by this week's pattern the next signing will be another keeper. 

23 minutes ago, qpfc said:

There’s murmurs on our thread that Liam Brown might be joining you guys on loan. Personally think it would be an excellent signing for Alloa if it’s true. Wouldn’t want him loaned out 

Another  Centre mid if true , seems strange when we have just signed Devine , Maybe Durnan is not going to be available ?

its a left back we need .

I'd be very happy if we managed to get Liam Brown. The guys on the podcast made the case for another midfielder a couple of weeks back and it was a good one. At the start of the season I did feel another CM and a striker would make sense, but Church's shaky start and our lack of cover in that position, plus Murray Miller starting well in midfield, shifted the focus more to LB. I'd still like to see us add another LB option (although it's looking unlikely) and Cammy is also now threatening to emerge as an option for CM. However, Brown is a really good midfielder who would strengthen that area and if we could get him I'd be right behind it. Would make more sense than our other signings this week I think, although hopefully the manager's thinking on those will become clear in the weeks ahead. 

Edited by Waspie

Kieran Offord is definitely one we are going to develop into a first team player. You guys will like what you see as he is quick and can beat his man with ease, and he’s a good finisher. 
He just needs a bit more first team experience and some regular game time in order to get up to speed. 
Cracking young striker.

My St Mirren supporting mate says that he's very highly rated and he seemed to have a decent goal return at the Shire last season. If he's got a decent amount of pace then this could be a good signing for us.

I'm assuming that we're going 5 up front against Clyde tomorrow.

Edited by Dink

3 minutes ago, Dink said:

My St Mirren supporting mate says that he's very highly rated and he seemed to have a decent goal return at the Shire last season. If he's got a decent amount of pace then this could be a good signing for us.

I'm assuming that we're going 5 up front against Clyde tomorrow.

2-1-7 formation I heard. 

Well, certainly ending the window with a bang - even if we're getting confused about CBs and CMs. 😊 Three players this week, including two strikers is not too shabby. We have several attacking options now.

The signings of Devine and Donnelly may well have been influenced by the fitness of Durnan, Howie and Scougall. Or maybe Devine can play left back?😜

Well done to the manager. I'm sure there has been a lot of hard work put in to strengthening the squad. Offord and Donnelly in particular could have had several options.

Delighted to be wrong over lack of signings,but not sure why we need another cm and CB,maybe just as options,looks like injuries are maybe worse than we thought to key players.Very happy to finally sign a quick striker though,much needed,and changes the whole dynamic of the squad.As I thought though,no Lb,baffling.Things are looking much better though,and once again,glad to admit when I'm wrong.Have we now used up our loan deals?

Edited by Alloa 68