The Alloa Athletic Thread

Manager actively seeking new recruits as per his interview post match vs Airdrie.

Edinburgh game was defensively a disaster, but first goal aside on Saturday we were much stronger at the back and soaked up a lot of Airdrie pressure. We werent clinical enough when the chances came our way on Saturday. I dont think it can be argued Airdrie deserved the points on the balance of play. But had we taken one of those chances at key times it would have made the match a lot more interesting and perhaps changed the dynamics of the game. Airdrie also got the good fortune for the ricochet off the woodwork for the second goal that we didnt get on a couple of similar occasions when we hit the bar.

Strength in depth is the main issue this season which is understandable. As Waspie and others have said, strongest 11 is pretty good, but any injuries cause problems- particularly to key guys such as Scougall. 

Cant agree the recruitment has been awful, or that we should simply just throw in the towel and give up 4 matches into the season.

On 21/08/2022 at 10:12, Oweny said:

Airdrie lost half their team and manager and we're still miles behind them.  I worry we are this season's East Fife 

A common misconception, we lost Easton and Murray, the rest we punted. 

We are actually still a couple of players short of finalising our squad also. 

Had some looking back to last season’s transfers and it really does emphasise the need for a bit of calmness. 

Euan Henderson wasn’t signed until the start of September and didn’t making his goal-scoring debut until September 11th. PJ and Ross too came a bit after the January window and under Brian Rice.

Alloa have never finished their business by the 20-something of August. Sure the Prem teams are waiting for their window to shut end of this month and then, like every other team, we will be chomping at the bit for the top loans.

We got a mention on Open Goal podcast this week, Derek Ferguson telling a story about when he was at Alloa. Terry Christie shouting at his son Max for having a poor first half then they started arguing cause Max didn't tidy his bedroom the morning before the game.

Guessing Rice has finally got the player he was talking about the other week?

Enjoyed the podcast again, heard the Clyde fan mention they've had some of their players on their pod, would be quite cool to hear from some of our players if you guys could manage it!

IMG_20220831_105746.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rory said:

Guessing Rice has finally got the player he was talking about the other week?

Enjoyed the podcast again, heard the Clyde fan mention they've had some of their players on their pod, would be quite cool to hear from some of our players if you guys could manage it!

IMG_20220831_105746.jpg

Thanks Rory, definitely something we would love to do but not sure how easy it will be - although not asked the question yet to be fair!

The Clyde one is a more official club podcast so that definitely helps them getting the players on. 

We are trying to line something up with an ex-Wasp for a few weeks time but will just have to wait to see if we can get him on. Think that’s something we would quite like to throw in every now and again. 

Luke Donnelly. Not a signing that I'm totally convinced by, his scoring record at Arbroath isn't great although Dick Campbell kept him around for quite a while so obviously rated him. From my recollection he's quite tricky with the ball at his feet, but lacks pace and isn't the greatest finisher.

I'd most likely see him playing as a number 10 but I thought that we were quite well served in that area with Scougall and MacIver.

Anyway, I'll get behind him and hopefully he turns out to be a hit. Despite his height he should given us something a bit different up front.

That was my initial reaction too, really felt we needed pace up front. Donnelly feels very similar to Sammon and MacIver in being a big guy with good feet who can bring others into the game but probably not a prolific scorer. However, he's been playing at a decent level for a few seasons now and can hopefully bring something a bit different and add to our options in attack. Welcome Luke and all the best. 

I hope Donnelly does well for you.  He just didnt seem quite good enough for championship level, although the frustrating thing was that you could see there was a player in there.  He got a fair amount of stick, but he never hid, and he always did his best for us.  

Hopefully dropping a league and getting a fresh start will get the best out of him!

Agree that maybe not the type of striker we maybe expected to see- more of a foil and his scoring record suggests that. Certainly cant judge him based on his previous brief spell at Alloa. That was at the beginning of season 2016/17 where we had that electric start to the campaign under Jack Ross. Understandable he couldnt get into our starting 11 at that time and in fact all of his appearances at Alloa came from the bench.

I've always been quite impressed by him in games against us since then- and believe he scored twice against us for both Queens Park and Arbroath.

Ive no doubt Brian Rice can see everything we can see, so might be interesting to see how he slots Donnelly into his gameplan.

Luke Donkelly at Arbroath in the Championship since July 2019. (Signed Jan 2019 in League 1)

63 league appearances.
2987 minutes played
5 goals. (All between Jul-Dec 2019)
Average of 597.4 minutes per goal.
3 assists.

Since Jan 2020 he has played 47 league games.
Played 2036 minutes.
Scored 0 goals.
1 assist.