The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, MSU said:

You're off to a great start with this, well done! I really like the opposition perspective idea.

You getting it listed on Apple Podcasts?

Thanks for that. 

Yeah it’s submitted so should be up in the next week. 

5 hours ago, Rory said:

I just assumed he must have had an injury

Cammy O'Donnell Said he was injured  (we Asked when he was warming up behind the goal ) 

Wullie Muir  (according to Wullie muir at training on Thursday last week ) will be about a week and a half from fit to start

Anyone now starting to fear that no more signings are coming in?I have heard from two or three people that Rice has no intention of bringing in a left back,if so,that's just about the worst outcome we could have had,along with the possibility of no goalscorer coming in either.How could we fail to deal with the left back situation two seasons in a row.Thats surely incompetent.Really hope that's not the case.No left back arriving means we continue  playing our best players out of position.

Edited by Alloa 68

17 hours ago, Alloa 68 said:

Anyone now starting to fear that no more signings are coming in?I have heard from two or three people that Rice has no intention of bringing in a left back,if so,that's just about the worst outcome we could have had,along with the possibility of no goalscorer coming in either.How could we fail to deal with the left back situation two seasons in a row.Thats surely incompetent.Really hope that's not the case.No left back arriving means we continue  playing our best players out of position.

Not too worried yet. No point bringing players in just for the sake of.....unlike what appears to have happened this time last year. It's possibly, also, true, that Brian Rice's hands are tied a little (financially) again a result of last years fiasco.

I do agree a left back & a striker should be top of the shopping list.....a LB will possibly be a lot easier to find than a striker though.

Doesn't the loan window stay open 'til the end of September so, if that's the case, we've a little while to go yet.

We've often got our best loans in late August as the top flight teams make their final decisions on their squads and hopefully that will be the case again. A striker is crucial - we aren't going to carry enough threat with the current options in attack - and I'd be disappointed if we didn't add another LB too. Or we could just bring Dougie Hill back again, it's been a while since we last signed him. 

That said, I'd be sticking with Church on the left in the meantime. Really enjoyed the podcast again but was a little surprised with the suggestion that the complaints over Taggs on the left against Edinburgh were a case of hindsight. I've been banging on about it for months 😁 and I saw several fans commenting in the aftermath of the Kelty game of the need to get our best players in their best positions. Taggs should be on the right flank unless it's an emergency and Cawley should be further up the park where he can really influence the game. We are weaker than previous seasons and have to make the most of these players. 

Church is the only natural option at LB so we have to stick with him. If he's not performing then Howie or O'Donnell.  No point at all in shifting players around to cover. Leave our best players in their best positions and put a plaster on the weak areas until we can improve them. 

Part of the reason players are being played out of position is the manager's "favourite" formation of 3-4-1-2, which he introduced as soon as he was appointed. 

That formation certainly worked well for us last year, with an obvious improvement being two strikers, which better suited the forwards we had.

I like the formation generally, but it means we aren't playing with pure full backs, so something has to give regarding where the likes of Taggs plays. If we are playing that formation, then I'd rather Taggs was on the right hand side of the four, with Kev the one or one of the two. Which is effectively what Waspie is saying.

We can switch to four at the back when required, as we have done, and then Taggs slots in to his best position. The lack of a good defensive left back then becomes more of an issue.

Having said that, I'd rather see us sending what money is left in the budget on a quality attacker (or attackers). Will be interesting to see who we do bring in on loan.

6 hours ago, Waspie said:

We've often got our best loans in late August as the top flight teams make their final decisions on their squads and hopefully that will be the case again. A striker is crucial - we aren't going to carry enough threat with the current options in attack - and I'd be disappointed if we didn't add another LB too. Or we could just bring Dougie Hill back again, it's been a while since we last signed him. 

That said, I'd be sticking with Church on the left in the meantime. Really enjoyed the podcast again but was a little surprised with the suggestion that the complaints over Taggs on the left against Edinburgh were a case of hindsight. I've been banging on about it for months 😁 and I saw several fans commenting in the aftermath of the Kelty game of the need to get our best players in their best positions. Taggs should be on the right flank unless it's an emergency and Cawley should be further up the park where he can really influence the game. We are weaker than previous seasons and have to make the most of these players. 

I hadn't realised Dougie was at Kelty these days.

I suppose hoping Daryll Meggatt could recapture the glory days is a bit fanciful. Quite an Alloa old boys' club they're building at Darvel.

Edit: Christ, Jordan Kirkpatrick too. The lesson is clearly never to leave us.

Edited by BFTD

The worst recruitment in years.Another season fighting the drop.Can't see a point coming easily in any game given our situation.I don't think there is a team in the league we can reasonably expect to beat,toothless.For all the talent our core of players have,we don't have the players to score or just connect things together.Nobody on the bench to change things.

Edited by Alloa 68

9 minutes ago, Alloa 68 said:

The worst recruitment in years.Another season fighting the drop.Can't see a point coming easily in any game given our situation.I don't think there is a team in the league we can reasonably expect to beat,toothless.For all the talent our core of players have,we don't have the players to score or just connect things together.Nobody on the bench to change things.

I didn't see the game, but I figured we'd lose by a couple today. Airdrie have started well, in good goalscoring form, and they're obviously a class above us.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I didn't see the game, but I figured we'd lose by a couple today. Airdrie have started well, in good goalscoring form, and they're obviously a class above us.

Most teams in the league are better than us going by results,this season recruitment has been awful.Theres no point signing promising youngsters for the future,we need players to hit the mark straight away and get up the league into at least a playoff spot.Ain't happening.We've failed to sign anybody that has improved the team.Wullie Muir at least has a decent pedigree if he gets back.Other than that it's not good enough.

3 hours ago, Alloa 68 said:

Most teams in the league are better than us going by results,this season recruitment has been awful.Theres no point signing promising youngsters for the future,we need players to hit the mark straight away and get up the league into at least a playoff spot.Ain't happening.We've failed to sign anybody that has improved the team.Wullie Muir at least has a decent pedigree if he gets back.Other than that it's not good enough.

Completely disagree, George Stanger has consistently been our best player this season, Murray Miller has looked decent certainly not shite by any stretch of the imagination. Young Hogarth apart from the Edinburgh game has been quite solid and has made a number of big saves since he came in. Rodden looks a bit raw but the guy has scored a few goals for us since he came in and the boy kyhamm hasn't played much. 

I don't think the problem is the quality we've brought In, I think it's more the the lack of signings and depth to the squad that is lacking.

I honestly think we will be absolutely fine, I don't think we will be pulling up any trees this season but given a couple of additions I think we will be challenging for playoffs.

Really worry for us this season. I always anticipated a season of struggle especially after last term. Barring a couple of outstanding loans I see us only fighting to avoid the drop.  We are nowhere near it just now and have shipped 6 goals in 2 games. 

Airdrie lost half their team and manager and we're still miles behind them.  I worry we are this season's East Fife 

Still early days to be getting too worried. Yesterday maybe wasn't great but the only really disappointing result so far was Edinburgh. I posted a month ago that the nucleus of retained players was solid but that the signings, while they might work out with time, didn't look likely to have us pushing at the right end of the table and that we'd need more good reinforcements. That hasn't happened yet but going by the manager's post match comments he is still working on it and hopeful of new faces soon. 

Still feel that if we get something like our best eleven in a formation that suits them though we should  be very competitive, even without new players. It's been a feature of Rice since his arrival to make frequent formation and personnel switches week to week and even through games. Too often IMO. I don't think half-time subs almost every week is a good thing. I'd like to see him settle on a shape that suits the talents of the players and stick with it for a while. 

Again though, the squad and budget isn't at the same level as recent years and we need to recognise that and give it time. I'd still be hopeful that as they settle and we get another player or two in that we can establish ourselves mid-table. If we aren't seeing progress as the season goes on then fair enough, but as it stands way too early to be panicking. 

I wonder if getting Henderson back on loan is an option, noticed he isn't even on the bench for today's game against Celtic (unless he's injured?). Been keeping an eye out for him, seen his name on the bench a few times. He was a bit hot and cold last year, but was good for a goal when he was on it.

14 minutes ago, Rory said:

I wonder if getting Henderson back on loan is an option, noticed he isn't even on the bench for today's game against Celtic (unless he's injured?). Been keeping an eye out for him, seen his name on the bench a few times. He was a bit hot and cold last year, but was good for a goal when he was on it.

I'm sure if we could get him Brian Rice would drop everything and drive through to Edinburgh himself to pick him up.

I think he's liable to go out on loan (although I know Neilson was quoted as saying that wasn't happening). Normally a player who has done well on loan at one level would go out next time to a club in a higher division, which clearly would rule Alloa out, but we can live in hope that Euan enjoyed it so much at the Indodrill that he's keen to return.

Edited by printer