The Alloa Athletic Thread

Will be interesting how Rice manages the two keepers - can’t imagine Sevco would send a player out to warm a league 1 bench so would be guessing that he will be number 1. On the other hand, Muir would probably be the best back up in the league if he is 2nd choice. The mention of the youth internationals is a good point and it will be nice knowing that when Hogarth is away, there’s an experienced back up to come in. Feels good to potentially have two good keepers going in to the season, especially after we went through around 4 or 5 last year!

I get the argument on developing youth for someone else rather than ourselves - there’s not much better than seeing a kid coming through the system and in to the first team, and it’s something we’ve been lack for a few years now (probably why I’m such a big fan of seeing O’Donnell involved more often!) There’s two things I would say to it though: keeper is the one position on the park I’m more reluctant to seeing inexperience tried out, and I would also hope there’s is a difference between a young keeper from us versus someone coming in with Scottish 16s, 17s and 19s experience. 

All in all I think it’s been a pretty optimistic preseason, especially compared to the dark days of a year ago. It seemed the club were maybe being a bit slow to start with new contracts etc compared to some other clubs, but since then it’s been a pretty solid preseason. Also think the friendlies have been pretty well thought out…maybe just 1 more than was needed!!!

Anyway, looking forward to having competitive football back tonight. Would say the group is pretty open now after the Buckie result at the weekend, so hopefully Trouts goes easy on us tonight!

Thought the performance in the first half was ok, 442 but there was more structure around what we were doing tonight - played Cammy narrow on the left and King narrow right to allow Church and Taggs to provide the width from full back. That worked on the right but Church doesn't offer enough going forward for that to work. Definitely noticed MacIver having to run down the left to offer something.

Second half was very poor. The equaliser was the least that East Fife deserved and probably couldn't have grudged them a winner right at the death.

Looking for positives, Hogarth looks very comfortable with the ball at his feet (although his distribution went a bit wayward after halftime), Stanger impressed again at the back and Miller looks a very tidy footballer. Thought Cammy also played well, although you could see him growing frustrated in the second half.

A lot of faces missing tonight which would have no doubt added to the performance. The set up tonight would have been ideal for wee Kev to play inside off the right with Taggs outside him, and I could imagine Robbo and Miller working well when we play the 2 holding midfielders.

Left back remains an issue that hasn't been addressed since last season - frustrating seeing a kid bombing up and down from left back for East Fife all night who would have fitted our shape perfectly...

I thought we clearly had the edge over the Fifers, but just faded out after the first half-hour, and it was just so inevitable that they'd eventually get an equaliser, even before they'd even made any real chances. Lovely free-kick and follow-up, though.

A relief to get the penalty point, but disappointing to have let the win slip away. Not a lot went right for big Connor up front tonight, so it was nice to see him score his pelanty, at least.

Did someone tell the opposition that Hogarth gets caught off his line? Seemed as though they kept trying to catch him out from distance when there were better options  :unsure:

1 hour ago, Kevchenko said:

Thought the performance in the first half was ok, 442 but there was more structure around what we were doing tonight - played Cammy narrow on the left and King narrow right to allow Church and Taggs to provide the width from full back. That worked on the right but Church doesn't offer enough going forward for that to work. Definitely noticed MacIver having to run down the left to offer something.

Second half was very poor. The equaliser was the least that East Fife deserved and probably couldn't have grudged them a winner right at the death.

Looking for positives, Hogarth looks very comfortable with the ball at his feet (although his distribution went a bit wayward after halftime), Stanger impressed again at the back and Miller looks a very tidy footballer. Thought Cammy also played well, although you could see him growing frustrated in the second half.

A lot of faces missing tonight which would have no doubt added to the performance. The set up tonight would have been ideal for wee Kev to play inside off the right with Taggs outside him, and I could imagine Robbo and Miller working well when we play the 2 holding midfielders.

Left back remains an issue that hasn't been addressed since last season - frustrating seeing a kid bombing up and down from left back for East Fife all night who would have fitted our shape perfectly...

Williamson should have been kept.. 

14 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Will be interesting how Rice manages the two keepers - can’t imagine Sevco would send a player out to warm a league 1 bench so would be guessing that he will be number 1. On the other hand, Muir would probably be the best back up in the league if he is 2nd choice. The mention of the youth internationals is a good point and it will be nice knowing that when Hogarth is away, there’s an experienced back up to come in. Feels good to potentially have two good keepers going in to the season, especially after we went through around 4 or 5 last year!

I get the argument on developing youth for someone else rather than ourselves - there’s not much better than seeing a kid coming through the system and in to the first team, and it’s something we’ve been lack for a few years now (probably why I’m such a big fan of seeing O’Donnell involved more often!) There’s two things I would say to it though: keeper is the one position on the park I’m more reluctant to seeing inexperience tried out, and I would also hope there’s is a difference between a young keeper from us versus someone coming in with Scottish 16s, 17s and 19s experience. 

All in all I think it’s been a pretty optimistic preseason, especially compared to the dark days of a year ago. It seemed the club were maybe being a bit slow to start with new contracts etc compared to some other clubs, but since then it’s been a pretty solid preseason. Also think the friendlies have been pretty well thought out…maybe just 1 more than was needed!!!

Anyway, looking forward to having competitive football back tonight. Would say the group is pretty open now after the Buckie result at the weekend, so hopefully Trouts goes easy on us tonight!

Great post, always sensible and measured.

8 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Another accurate assessment. Church improved after the imbecile left, however he is not good enough. EF will make money off Williamson as we suffer another result of poor management from Mr R's predecessor.

I thought we started well and looked very decent but we fell out of the game badly and EF came back into it . We were hanging on at the end. 

Disappointed but it's still early doors . This corresponding fixture last season we lost to a team that were relegated out of senior football at the recs . Early days . 

Have to agree with Oweny, looked comfortable in the first half but it really was a game of 2 halves.

Cammy had a bit if a mare, ball just didn't want to drop for him on the day.

It is early days, properish competitive games should hopefully jell the team.

Onwards and upwards 🤞

I only caught bits of the East Fife game on the stream but my worry is that Sammon and MacIver seem to be struggling as a partnership. I was unconvinced when they played together at the end of last season and they seem to be continuing in the same vein this year. We look a bit predictable and easy to defend against when they play together, which led to the midfield being very congested. I'm hoping that we manage to bring in a more mobile and pacey striker on loan. That should allow us a bit more variety in our play, stretch teams a bit more and give our midfield a bit more space to play.

Edited by Dink
I'm an idiot

4 hours ago, Dink said:

I only caught bits of the East Fife game on the stream but my worry is that Sammon and MacIver seem to be struggling as a partnership. I was unconvinced when they played together at the end of last season and they seem to be continuing in the same vein this year. We look a bit predictable and easy to defend against when they play together, which led to the midfield being very congested. I'm hoping that we manage to bring in a more mobile and pacey striker on loan. That should allow us a bit more variety in our play, stretch teams a bit more and give our midfield a bit more space to play.

Personally I think Kevin Cawley could still do a job for us in that role. Been surprised for the last few years that no manager has tried that at times when we've needed something different 8n attack.

7 minutes ago, printer said:

Personally I think Kevin Cawley could still do a job for us in that role. Been surprised for the last few years that no manager has tried that at times when we've needed something different 8n attack.

I reckon that Kev Cawley could do a job for us up front, as a number 10, centre mid, right wing,  left wing or at full back. I possibly wouldn't play him as a centre half or goalie but I wouldn't entirely rule them out either.

1 hour ago, printer said:

I'd agree with that. I'm not a great fan of Kev being deployed at RWB. Ok in an emergency but he has too much to offer further up and centrally to be used there regularly. I was a bit concerned to see him playing there again in one of the friendlies. And we have a superb natural right sided defender anyway. 

Agree with Dink about Sammon and MacIver as a pair, both good players but definitely need pace and movement up there too. Rodden might well bring some of that but a further option is required. 

Still think we need another CM option too. Very light in terms of a real presence there without Robbo. Miller looked tidy on Tuesday and might grow more into that role but early days for him. King once again largely disappeared and the battle there (ongoing battle I suspect) is going to be finding a way to get more out of his undoubted talent. 

LB the other one. I'd have kept Williamson as backup to a new LB but that ship has sailed. To be fair he showed again on Tuesday he still has a long way to go. I would still like to see us try and get another LB in. 

Tuesday was really pretty shite against poor opposition, but after such a hectic pre-season and missing 4 or 5 of our more established men there were good reasons for that. The most interesting thing I thought watching online (unfortunately the penultimate online game☹️) was Leodhas saying the budget is in fact the same as last season. If that is the case I'd be hopeful there is cash available for further signings. Although there are grounds for optimism, do feel we really need further strengthening. 

Buckie on their own park tomorrow against our team from Tuesday looks potentially to be a really tough game. 

Edited by Waspie

Good win at Buckie today. It was a pretty even contest overall but Alloa were clinical in taking advantage of some dodgy defending. Second half in particular we were looking pretty tired and Buckie more likely to score until the late show from Sammo, which was all too much for one aggrieved Buckie fan at the end 😁

The whole team put in a good effort but I was particularly impressed with Miller and would be hopeful he will indeed take on more and more responsibility in the middle of the park with more games. He was getting stuck in and spreading the ball around. Very encouraging. Thought Cammy did well too. 

The inclusion of Rodden and his constant running helped get more out of Sammon and Maciver and Sammo's finishing was sublime. 

Still need the more experienced heads back and another signing or two, but a good day out and some encouraging signs. 

34 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Good win at Buckie today. It was a pretty even contest overall but Alloa were clinical in taking advantage of some dodgy defending. Second half in particular we were looking pretty tired and Buckie more likely to score until the late show from Sammo, which was all too much for one aggrieved Buckie fan at the end 😁

The whole team put in a good effort but I was particularly impressed with Miller and would be hopeful he will indeed take on more and more responsibility in the middle of the park with more games. He was getting stuck in and spreading the ball around. Very encouraging. Thought Cammy did well too. 

The inclusion of Rodden and his constant running helped get more out of Sammon and Maciver and Sammo's finishing was sublime. 

Still need the more experienced heads back and another signing or two, but a good day out and some encouraging signs. 

Isn't it always? 🤪

2 hours ago, Waspie said:

Spot on, the difference between the teams was us being clinical and Buckie not having a real killer touch in front of goal.

Seems bizarre to say after winning 4-1, but I thought Buckie were the better team today, especially in the second half. Overall, I thought our performance was pretty poor, but we haven’t been good enough in front of goal all preseason so it was good to see that change today. I don’t think we won a second ball all day and Buckie were way more effective when moving the ball forward. On the positive side, I also thought Miller played well in the middle and Rodden had a good game up top - he looked pretty unlucky on at least a couple of the occasions that he was flagged offside.

The more I’m seeing of Miller, the more I think him and Robbo could be a really good match for each other in the middle of the park.  

Buckie did manage to take Ross County to penalties, so 4-1 after being behind and not playing terribly well has to be something of a positive. No doubt they'll have the chance for revenge in the league at some point over the next decade!

Well done to the hardy few who managed to make it along to the game. Looking forward to seeing what we can do against the bigger clubs now.