The Alloa Athletic Thread

Highlights here: 

There are lots of fans across P&B getting very worked up about the first game of the League Cup group stage in early July. In reality these games are preparation for a lot of teams, and even more so this season when the transfer market has been so slow. I wouldn't be getting too concerned over what happens in our games as long as we see some kind of progress. And certainly no point in getting worked up over a closed door friendly. Looked very lethargic in those highlights and Raith goals way too easy. However, fair play to the team for tightening up after the horrific start and also good that Hogarth has had a friendly before the first competitive game. 

I think we have to be realistic about this squad as it stands. I felt our retained nucleus was really good and that with 4 or 5 solid additions we could have a crack at making the play-offs. As it has turned out there haven't been many established solid players available anywhere it would seem. The loans have potential but both very inexperienced and will need time. Looks like Stanger has a lot of good attributes but hasn't played regularly anywhere yet, which is also the case for MacIver in terms of starts. Rodden is coming from the 6th tier and Khyyam from youth football. I know people were saying Rodden was a wild card but there is an element of that about all of these signings. If you had told me in May these would be the additions I'd have been a bit worried, but clearly the budget isn't what it was and the market in general hasn't been moving. 

The signings might work out well and if the key men stay fit too we are well capable of naming a decent team. Important I think to be realistic though, we are in a different situation to the past decade or so with this squad and will need to be patient. Easier too to be patient with young players or rough gems than when you know your manager has blown a small fortune on shite, which was the case last season. 

Would hope we might still see a strong signing or two before the league which would make a real difference. 

Edited by Waspie

31 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Highlights here: 

There are lots of fans across P&B getting very worked up about the first game of the League Cup group stage in early July. In reality these games are preparation for a lot of teams, and even more so this season when the transfer market has been so slow. I wouldn't be getting too concerned over what happens in our games as long as we see some kind of progress. And certainly no point in getting worked up over a closed door friendly. Looked very lethargic in those highlights and Raith goals way too easy. However, fair play to the team for tightening up after the horrific start and also good that Hogarth has had a friendly before the first competitive game. 

I think we have to be realistic about this squad as it stands. I felt our retained nucleus was really good and that with 4 or 5 solid additions we could have a crack at making the play-offs. As it has turned out there haven't been many established solid players available anywhere it would seem. The loans have potential but both very inexperienced and will need time. Looks like Stanger has a lot of good attributes but hasn't played regularly anywhere yet, which is also the case for MacIver in terms of starts. Rodden is coming from the 6th tier and Khyyam from youth football. I know people were saying Rodden was a wild card but there is an element of that about all of these signings. If you had told me in May these would be the additions I'd have been a bit worried, but clearly the budget isn't what it was and the market in general hasn't been moving. 

The signings might work out well and if the key men stay fit too we are well capable of naming a decent team. Important I think to be realistic though, we are in a different situation to the past decade or so with this squad and will need to be patient. Easier too to be patient with young players or rough gems than when you know your manager has blown a small fortune on shite, which was the case last season. 

Would hope we might still see a strong signing or two before the league which would make a real difference. 

I've been thinking the same through pre season- that a combination of the budget not being what it was, and a dip in what can be done in the transfer market overall. And facing reality, our status has dropped a bit. We are still one of the top part time teams, but there are other options for top part time players now. Arbroath tore it up in the Championship last season, and I believe Cove are still part time and they've taken a fair few seasoned pros dropping down a level. 

For what it's worth I think the manager has taken the correct approach by using the budget to retain much of the team, topping it up with more cost effective options. He did well to keep the likes of Taggart and Scougall at the club- top players who would walk into any team at part time level and a lot of lower end full time clubs. I think he'll still utilise the loan market, but we will probably have to be more patient there and wait for other clubs squads to settle before conducting this business. 

If we get a fair bit of luck on the injury front I still think we can compete for playoff positions. But the league is pretty competitive this season and it may be tough if the likes of Scougall and Robbo get injured.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Football matters aside I want to wish Ewan Cameron a long and healthy retirement. What an absolute gentleman and surely one of our longest ever associated officials. A power of organisation and work behind the scenes which I hope is officially recognised instead of a few sparse words. 👏👏👏👏

Edited by McCulloch No.5

I think this summer has been  a bit of a fall out following last season's disasterous Barry reign where we had something like a squad of 26 players all lifting wages.  It couldn't go on. 

The spending has been curbed understandably. Last season was a lost by opportunity especially when you see who the play offs panned out .  This term we are signing prospects from lower league football. I worry they have shown up well against the poor teams we have played so far  . ( Big Geoff anyone......) 

Brian Rice done a sterling job installing confidence back into the squad and avoided an abject disaster and kept us up. We were only heading one way in February. He has a brilliant track record of developing players and we are in safe hands. 

I really think this year will be about survival again though but obviously I hope I am wrong . 

Aye, "lethargic" is definitely the word for that performance - both teams would've been annoyed not to have taken some of those chances in a competitive game. Looked like a lovely day for it, though.

Not reading anything into that result - it's more a matter of how quickly the score was racked up, but you could see it was more of a kickabout than a proper test, for either side.

That said, Raith had better win the fucking title now  :P

9 hours ago, Waspie said:

😅

Edited by printer

1 hour ago, liammcintosh01 said:

Wullie Muir signed for the season, happy with that 2 really good goalkeepers we have in now.

yes very happy with that he is a good goalie , he will be a knockout for us ...Groan ..

but we need a good striker now maybe a good loan ,but much happier now 

16 minutes ago, BFTD said:

What's going on with the steel beams in the pavement outside the Clackmannan Road wall?

Assume its the advertising board supports getting replaced. The originals were sawn off when the boards came down. I don't think the company that did the boards had permission to do that.

3 minutes ago, printer said:

Very happy that Muir has signed. Young Hogarth may have bags of potential, but having an experienced alternative is important IMO. 

Also youth internationals happen during the regular season so more than likely to have them involved and unavailable.

3 hours ago, printer said:

Very happy that Muir has signed. Young Hogarth may have bags of potential, but having an experienced alternative is important IMO. 

Why do we sign a back up keeper like Hogarth when we have Burt? No encouragement for our academy and we develop kids for Sevco. Millar I get, keepers is an entirely different proposition. Rant over.

Why do we sign a back up keeper like Hogarth when we have Burt? No encouragement for our academy and we develop kids for Sevco. Millar I get, keepers is an entirely different proposition. Rant over.

I’d be shocked if Hogarth wasn’t brought in to be number 1, can’t see why rangers would loan him out to sit on our bench. I’d argue that keepers being an entirely different proposition adds to the argument of not having a 17 year old as the back up as it’s not really fair to have to chuck him in if needed when he may not be ready for this level either technically or more likely physically.

For teams like us, like it or not, loans from the big 2 (or any other premiership team for that matter) are our best chance at success. I don’t see why it’s any different to a player coming in on a 1 year deal and going to a full time club for nothing the next season anyway.

32 minutes ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Do you think hogarth will be the back up keeper, I think Muir has come on the scene  after they've committed to the hogarth deal and they may not have went with hogarth if muir had come about earlier,  jmo