The Alloa Athletic Thread

17 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

Do any of you guys know the script for away fans at tonights friendly. Our site says away fans welcome, your site says entry via home turnstiles, is that right.

Are away fans in the usual temporary stand?

No segregation and only one set of turnstiles open. You can go anywhere but behind the goals at the railway end. Means not having 6 stewards for very little reason and the pie hut can serve both home and away. 

17 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

No segregation and only one set of turnstiles open. You can go anywhere but behind the goals at the railway end. Means not having 6 stewards for very little reason and the pie hut can serve both home and away. 

Thanks for that. Hoping to head along.

I'm assuming there's not likely to be any hassle if theres no segregation, thinking of taking kids along too.

16 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

I'm assuming there's not likely to be any hassle if theres no segregation, thinking of taking kids along too.

Its Alloa mate- we'll set aboot ye on the terraces.🙂

You'll have no trouble whatsoever- if in doubt just head across to gazebo stand (traditional away side) or sit in the main stand with the kids.

1 minute ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Its Alloa mate- we'll set aboot ye on the terraces.🙂

You'll have no trouble whatsoever- if in doubt just head across to gazebo stand (traditional away side) or sit in the main stand with the kids.

That's settled then, I'll bring the kids so they can protect me from the hooligans 😉

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it's a decent game (as friendlies go)

48 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

Nah, very unlikely, you can still wander round to the traditional away side and sit where it'll be fairly quiet if you feel like it but so far against Partick and Forfar it's been fine and fairly mixed.

It's almost a decade ago but before we got into the Championship I don't remember many segregated games, everyone used to change ends.

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

Nah, very unlikely, you can still wander round to the traditional away side and sit where it'll be fairly quiet if you feel like it but so far against Partick and Forfar it's been fine and fairly mixed.

It's almost a decade ago but before we got into the Championship I don't remember many segregated games, everyone used to change ends.

Yeah I remember that too.

Trying to get tickets but seems to be a problem either the website. Is there a pay at the gate option?

4 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

Yeah I remember that too.

Trying to get tickets but seems to be a problem either the website. Is there a pay at the gate option?

Picked the worst time to go on - it's back on now. was just fiddling with the database for 10 minutes.

I noticed that Andy came over to talk to the fans by the stand, and someone told me he was conscious by the time he was stretchered off, but had been knocked spark out for some time. I hadn't even realised the collision had been that bad until my son pointed out that our keeper wasn't moving.

Hopefully just a concussion; no doubt he'll be under close watch for a few days either way.

Hope Willie Muir is OK after that. He was knocked unconscious after an aerial collision with Charlie Fox. It looked horrible and every player, especially Charlie, looked really upset. It was only 7 weeks ago they were celebrating promotion together. 

He'll go down in history as a proper QP legend and one of our greatest keepers so I hope he recovers well so he can continue his football career. He showed last night what a fine goalie he still is before the injury.

Was only watching online but the collision looked nasty. I see on the club twitter that it was concussion and that he got out of hospital last night so hopefully with a bit of rest he'll be ok to get back to football. He didn't have too much to do last night but went about all of his business well. Obviously the word is we're getting a keeper on loan but Muir might well be worth a deal too. 

Overall I thought it looked very much like a friendly last night. We had a good spell in the second half with MacIver showing up well with some nice touches and link up play. Should have scored his chance. At this stage a lack of cutting edge would appear to be the obvious weakness in the squad. Still plenty time to address that. 

Aye, he looked confident and comfortable on the ball. I'd like to see him turn out for us again, especially as he seems to have been popular with the QP fans.

Queen's are obviously a cut above the sides we've played so far, and it was more of a challenge, but we matched each other comfortably. You'd imagine they'll be a better side than last season, so that's not bad news for us. I thought the game had goalless draw written all over it before half-time.

We did make a few good chances in the second half, so hopefully a bit more finishing practice and the cutting edge will come. Looks quite good so far.

Yes, heard keeper was taken to hospital for precautionary checks, but had absolutely no recollection of what happened. Was a pretty sombre end to the game, referee was 100% correct to call time on it. Just glad it was not more serious than it turned out. As Waspie states, not much happened first half but second we were on top for a good spell and looked really good. MacIver and Sammon missed chances youd expect theyd put away with a bit more match sharpness.

We've seen the team progressing pretty well from game to game in terms of passing fluency, with a good mix of opposition- the pre season programme clearly had some thought behind it so credit must go to the manager for that. Good for the fans too- but have to say Im probably maxed out on friendlies now and looking forward to more competitive stuff next week.

Good to hear he is out of hospital , he hopefully gets back to playing soon 

He is worth a punt , Very brave !

Considering we were playing Cawley at right back and were missing Howie and durnan we did allright 

I think QP seemed to take it all a bit more serious than us it had the feeling of a competitive match eventually , 

certainly seemed less "Friendly" than our other games ,  We did a better job than the Eredivisie Utrecht anyway ! .:-)

Edited by Vegetableman

Good to hear that Muir got out last night. He had a good game and was a really unfortunate way for things to end. Could see a couple under the stand looking on and getting info which I’m assuming may have been his family so must have been horrible for them. 

Disagree with a couple of other posts and actually think last night was the best workout for us of the preseason games. 

There was definitely a step up in the pace of the game from Saturday and it was really good to see how we played being under significant pressure in the first half. Queens Park we’re in control but I thought we coped very well defensively and held a strong compact shape. For their control/possession, I would say it was hard to say they had any real clear cut chances. 

Alloa came out much stronger in the 2nd half and we were comfortably the better team after the break. Only let down was the finishing - MacIver has to hit the target at the very least, and King should have scored instead of heading back across goals as his whole side of the net was empty (I know offside was given but I’m assuming that was against Sammon and that King was onside). 

Who was the number 11 that played in midfield? Was bugging me all night that I recognised him but couldn’t see properly who it was. 

All in all thought it was a useful run out, just unfortunate who things finished. 

Pleased to hear Wullie is out of hospital. In terms of his actual ability, Alloa should be snapping him up. Don’t think any QP fan would have grumbled about him being our number one in the Champ.