The Alloa Athletic Thread

Good to hear that Willie Muir is, at least, out of hospital. It looked a right sore one. Good decision by the ref to end the game early.

The couple in the stand may well have been his folks who follow him everywhere. He's easily Championship standard and I'm surprised he was released by Queen's.

A good workout for us, with the game played at a fast pace, and I have to say I was quite impressed with Alloa, who looked a step up from last year.

1 hour ago, Polarbear said:

Murray Miller

He is a year long loan from Rangers so I am hearing , looks good and a neat passer of the ball  

Bring on the league season , looking forward to it,  should be a wizzard scrap what  ?

Hopefully keeper situation gets resolved prior to next Tuesday. If we are bringing a new keeper in ideally would want them to get a runout in the closed door game on Saturday.

Thankfully appears Muir is okay. But if we were signing him I doubt he would be able to play for a couple of weeks minimum.

Unless we get the rumoured loan keeper in quicker, I'd imagine Keir Burt would be in goal for the East Fife and Buckie games.

11 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Hopefully keeper situation gets resolved prior to next Tuesday. If we are bringing a new keeper in ideally would want them to get a runout in the closed door game on Saturday.

Thankfully appears Muir is okay. But if we were signing him I doubt he would be able to play for a couple of weeks minimum.

Unless we get the rumoured loan keeper in quicker, I'd imagine Keir Burt would be in goal for the East Fife and Buckie games.

Agreed, it’s the only really concerning bit of preseason that’s still outstanding. 

Understandable given the situation with the loan, and I’m guessing there’s every chance Muir may have been signed but for the injury, but it’s still a worry right now. 

Good to see Stanger, Rodden and Miller all official and I’m pleased we have signed Kyyham as well - although his time has been limited, he looks really quick and from watching them warming up he seems to have a good shot on him as well. Definitely looks very raw, but could be a good asset to have to bring on against tired defenders. 

2 hours ago, Craigy said:

I see Kenny Brannigan is assistant manager, I must have missed this or just recently appointed ?

Just seen that too....where does that leave Paddy?

Looks like the squad is coming together nicely with the four additions this week and one or two goalies earmarked. For me the only potential weakness which remains is where the goals are going to come from. Maybe Rodden will get a decent amount, but I'm sure the manager will be looking to bring in this season's Euan Henderson.

1 hour ago, printer said:

Looks like the squad is coming together nicely with the four additions this week and one or two goalies earmarked. For me the only potential weakness which remains is where the goals are going to come from. Maybe Rodden will get a decent amount, but I'm sure the manager will be looking to bring in this season's Euan Henderson.

The new boy Miller can take King's place and shove King up front ?  🙂 worth a try but the manager will have other idea's

2 hours ago, printer said:

For me the only potential weakness which remains is where the goals are going to come from.

The perennial question.

Sadly, Greig Spence is no longer the answer.

8 minutes ago, printer said:

Indeed, and it is for most teams.

I'm a bit more hopeful than most seasons just now, especially if the manager drafts in a potential young star on loan.

Pre-season and hope, eh?

Think goals need to come from all over the park really as 15-20 goal a season strikers seem pretty rare now - don’t think anyone in the SPFL hit 20 last season. 

When you look at last years table, depending on the defence, you are looking at needing around 55 goals to be in and around playoff contention. 

If we can get a forward even getting to 10-12 goals it’s a really good start. Looking for another 2 strikers getting maybe 10-12 between them and then ideally the likes of Cawley, Scougall and King trying to get to 4 or 5 each. Probably needing 12-15 from everyone else, which you could see our centre halves and Taggs making a decent dent in to. 

Breaking it down like that makes me worry a little less about us up top (although certainly wouldn’t turn my nose up to another Henderson type!), a solid keeper is the glaring need just now. 

1 hour ago, wos.wasp said:

Seems that Alloa were 4-0 down after 17 minutes at Stark's Park. No further updates so assume that was the half-time score.

Strong looking Raith side. No idea of Alloa line-up.

Stayed 4-0 'till the end.