The Alloa Athletic Thread

king can hit a ball he has done it before, I thought the Beano's were poor , expected more of a fight .

Glad we took it a bit more seriously due to the rivalry and played a mainly first choice team from the start 

no friendlies when playing stirling ....  🙂

Nice to have a bit of noise from both sides last night, but am I right that the young team got into some kind of rammy behind the stand in the second half? Chucking coins at Stirling's keeper too, and there were polis called to Hawkhill after the game (dunno if it was related).

I'm not used to this kind of drama at the Recs!

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Nice to have a bit of noise from both sides last night, but am I right that the young team got into some kind of rammy behind the stand in the second half? Chucking coins at Stirling's keeper too, and there were polis called to Hawkhill after the game (dunno if it was related).

I'm not used to this kind of drama at the Recs!

Looks like a fight was planned over at KFC. There were police present for a good 30 minutes on Clackmannan Road after the game but it appeared they were just dispersing the crowds and waiting around for parents to pick up the children in question. I was a fair distance from them during the match so it probably didnt impact me as much as perhaps others. The flare after the first goal was hilarious, but it was all growing a bit tedious by the second half, and throwing missiles at the keeper isnt on.

I enjoyed the game, and another decent crowd- although a bit bizarre watching an Alloa Stirling game with Alloa in bright orange and Stirling in navy blue. Only a friendly but the fact it was against Stirling gave it a slight edge compared to other pre season games. Not the main aim of pre season of course, but as stated Alloa won comfortably without really getting out of second gear- and it was probably an easier win overall than the Cumbernauld Colts game on the Saturday. Stirling had a mini revival at the start of the second half after pulling a goal back to make it 3-1 but they didnt really make much headway at all. Alloa got the 4th and the game completely petered out as a contest.

Great to see Adam King getting a hat-trick. His second goal was exquisite and perhaps even better than his one against Montrose last season. I hope he brings that form into the campaign. Theres a player in there, hes technically pretty sound but need him to impose himself on games a bit more. He did that last night. Scougall again looked terrific and after spending much of last season bizarrely deployed as a winger I have high hopes that he'll be our star player this season.

I thought you could see the improvement in midfield fluency, even compared to Saturday. Would have liked to see both our main strikers get off the mark which hasnt happened so far- but still a few more friendlies for them to get going.

Not sure about any of the trialists so far- I dont know what the budget situation is but Im guessing we will top up the squad with loans. Im assuming Stanger pretty much signed, so key areas of the squad are obviously a goalkeeper and probably another option up top. Then its fingers crossed some of the more key players dont have bad luck on the injury front.

Aye, some lovely goals, and it's always nice to beat Stirling. Hopefully they can get themselves back up into the same league as us at some point.

The Youth element gathered at KFC looking for trouble I just walked on so didn't see if it developed

The coin throwing is not on though , been hit with a coin before and it is pretty  F %%5  painful 

Worst of it was it was copper and not even a silver piece   😛

Forfar on saturday ,  the return of Stefan McCluskey to the recs  .

6 minutes ago, Polarbear said:

I heard we are getting a season long loan from Rangers. A youth player called Miller.  I assume this is the midfielder Murray Miller.

he was number 11 on saturday against colts  I think  .

6 hours ago, Waspie said:

From the latest piece in the Advertiser a goalie is lined up on loan too: 

https://www.alloaadvertiser.com/sport/20238532.rice-sees-encouraging-signs-alloa-pre-season-continues/

I heard he's on a pre season tour with an spl team and will be back from that next week and joining up, 

Need a centre half as well if it turns out Durnan will miss 3 months of the season with fire service training. 

16 minutes ago, Wee wasp said:

I heard he's on a pre season tour with an spl team and will be back from that next week and joining up, 

Need a centre half as well if it turns out Durnan will miss 3 months of the season with fire service training. 

We've got Andy, Howie and Stanger (tbc), plus Taggs. Think we will be OK if Durnan is unavailable.

1 minute ago, printer said:

Would it be good (for Alloa) it was?

No idea, he's never played for us.

He's incredibly highly rated, U21 Scotland keeper with trials at Liverpool etc., but how well that transfers to senior football I don't know.

Quite like the bit of retro feel to the chequered pattern on the new home top, and sponsor logo looks pretty good on it.

Definitely starting to warm to the 3rd kit after seeing it in the flesh - gives vibes of Blackpool or the Netherlands...hopefully play more like the latter in it.

Shame we didn't have it last year, Im sure wee Barry would have wanted us playing in it every week.

39 minutes ago, RolandPie said:

Until it includes the railway track and faded pitch marking by the stand, it's a no from me, Brian.

It's a nice idea though.

On 29/06/2022 at 13:33, Vegetableman said:

The Youth element gathered at KFC looking for trouble I just walked on so didn't see if it developed

The coin throwing is not on though , been hit with a coin before and it is pretty  F %%5  painful 

Worst of it was it was copper and not even a silver piece   😛

Forfar on saturday ,  the return of Stefan McCluskey to the recs  .

Dont forget Ben Armour and PJ Crossan will also make their return to the hallowed turf. Powderkeg stuff 🙂. I'm actually looking forward to it in all seriousness. Not sure what the weather forecast is, but any afternoon standing at Clackmannan Road end not freezing to death is to be savoured.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)