The Alloa Athletic Thread

32 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

More importantly, is the pie hut open?

Better be; it's the only reason I'm managing to drag the wean along tonight.

After missing last year, that's the season ticket bought today. Who needs to eat!  :thumsup2

9 minutes ago, AlloaAdam said:

Think if we can take anything from that tonight it’s that Sam Ramsbottom should be nowhere near our goal ever again. Dreadful.

Was it him? Looked like him right enough but he wasn't pulling his shorts and socks up and doing all his other mannerisms! 

Surely he can't find a L1 club. Just prone to so many errors and his distribution is lacking

Edited by CoveRangers1922

7 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Was it him? Looked like him right enough but he wasn't pulling his shorts and socks up and doing all his other mannerisms! 

Surely he can't find a L1 club

Aye, definitely Sam. George Stanger playing at #19 from the pictures I saw too if he's not officially signed yet?

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Aye, definitely Sam. George Stanger playing at #19 from the pictures I saw too if he's not officially signed yet?

Stanger looked ok, more so in the second half when he moved out to the right side of the 3. Didn’t think he was as comfortable positionally in the centre of the 3 in the first half. 

Ramsbottom actually had a few decent stops but he looks like he can hardly move, big cumbersome unit. 

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The hair and height made me think it was him right off the bat. Big drop from PJ and Parry.

I can see why Chipper would want to give Stanger a trial or contract. Alongside Graham or Durnan for guidance he would excel. 

What do you think is Sam's level? 

12 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Stanger looked ok, more so in the second half when he moved out to the right side of the 3. Didn’t think he was as comfortable positionally in the centre of the 3 in the first half. 

Ramsbottom actually had a few decent stops but he looks like he can hardly move, big cumbersome unit. 

Stanger, for me, would be ideal at CB in a back four alongside someone more experienced. I'm not sure about how he'd do in a back three.

Sam's a good shot stopper. It's his decision making and dealing with high balls that let him down with us. He doesn't actually concede many one on ones. 

12 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

What do you think is Sam's level? 

I have no idea. I think he got a rough time from our fans and I didn't think Kieran Wright was much of an improvement. But I'm also delighted we now have Brett Long who I think is a big upgrade.

There are aspects of his game that are Championship quality. And aspects of his game that are Lowland League. And you tend to get both in one game. Which is the big issue.

All in all I thought it wasn’t too bad a game tonight, certainly up until the hour mark where all the changes made it stop start. 

Was interesting seeing MacIver playing in midfield in the first half and he provided good energy in there. 

Scougall picked straight back from where he finished last season which was good to see. 

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Surely he can't find a L1 club. Just prone to so many errors and his distribution is lacking

Masnachfreint Clwb Pel-droed Caer Edin are looking for a goalie...

Spoiler

Clwb Pel droed: Football club

Caer Edin: Edinburgh

Masnachfreint: look it up

I just thought they'd like to appeal to the Edinburgh Welsh speaking community as well

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Masnachfreint Clwb Pel-droed Caer Edin are looking for a goalie...

Hide contents

Clwb Pel droed: Football club

Caer Edin: Edinburgh

Masnachfreint: look it up

I just thought they'd like to appeal to the Edinburgh Welsh speaking community as well

Can't we just get on with calling your team Meadowbank Thistle now and be done with it? FC Edinburgh, FFS.

I wonder how much it would cost to buy the Ferranti name these days. Can't break sponsorship rules with a company that no longer exists.

Ended in typical pre-season fashion with so many subsitutes but thought the first half, maybe start of second too, was played at a decent tempo. Don't think you will find too many people disagreeing with the above about Ramsbottom. I had vague recollections of him but last night was certainly howler after howler. Stanger wasn't a trialist and I thought looked ok. Positionally, questionable. However, it is really early and a new formation. Thought he looked fairly composed on the ball and physically, he ticks all the boxes. Hard for any of the young trailists coming on to make an impact. Main take-away that beauty from Kevin Cawley. He has still got it! 

Yeah standard fare really last night- but some decent passages of play on show from both sides and also a really decent crowd for a midweek pre season friendly- both sets of fans turned up in good numbers.

Thistle were definitely on top most of the first half and deserved their lead. They had a couple of really nifty trialists, particularly number 7 on the right flank. Thistle then changed most of their team at half time, and Alloa flipped the game while they were adjusting. Cawley scored the goal of the night with an absolute beauty to equalise, and at that point it looked like Alloa might go on to win. But Thistle eventually got going again and 2 goals from Dowds sealed the match.

Wouldnt completely write Ramsbottom off after one game on trial, but Jan Vojaceks assessment of Championship/Lowland League standard all in the one game was pretty apt. He made a couple of good saves, but didnt cover himself in glory for any of the goals. Give him the benefit of the doubt for the first one, but the other 2 goals werent great for him.

I actually like the orange kit in the flesh- much brighter than the photo suggested, and very Blackpool like.

Good to be back at the ground on a nice evening weather wise.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Can't we just get on with calling your team Meadowbank Thistle now and be done with it? FC Edinburgh, FFS.

I wonder how much it would cost to buy the Ferranti name these days. Can't break sponsorship rules with a company that no longer exists.

The West Lothian Franchise owned the Meadowbank Thistle name but they've gone through various owners and the rights may have been bought from them by George Gaworska (I'm not sure on this point). Unfortunately George passed away recently so who owns them now is anyone's guess 

I propose FC Edinburgh change their name to Aloha Athletic to attract Edinburgh's Hawaiian residents. I can't see a problem with that 

p s. My team were Edinburgh City. I've no idea who this new lot are 

I'd also be wary of writing anybody off based on one game but the keeper didn't have a great night. As well as errors already mentioned I thought he might have come for a high ball or two in the first half. That's maybe harsh when he won't know the defenders too well, but Brian Graham could have had a hat-trick in the first half from high balls in between the defence and keeper. He might come good but ideally I'd hope the manager has a target lined up for goals and is waiting to get it over the line. 

All in all the team looked decent enough for this early stage of the summer. None of the trialists really stood out but early days for them too. Similar to the keeper, I don't think you'll find too many players of the level we need to boost the squad from a load of trialists. If a gem turns up then great, but hopefully the manager has other deals in the pipeline. 

Agree with Father Barry about that shirt. I won't be buying an orange top but it did look a lot better than in the picture! 

Edited by Waspie

15 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I thought he might have come for a high ball or two 

Probably the worst part of his game, I wouldn't expect any improvement there. I can only assume Alloa are looking to save some budget or simply needed someone to fill the nets last night, genuinely amazed if he's able to get another side above the Lowland League in Scotland.