The Alloa Athletic Thread

No excuse for not being up to speed this year for the league cup games, that’s a lot of games in a short spell!

Assuming the games will probably see a bit of sprinkling in of youth which will be good. 

Any rumours floating about regards keeper?

Thought you might want to know about your club's origins, from research I did in support of my forthcoming "free" Scottish League android phone app:

Association football was first organised in Alloa by Henry Goodyear, who requested a meeting on September 16th, 1879, at St John's School, where he was a principal assistant. Clackmannan County was formed at this meeting, with Henry being elected as captain, no doubt as he'd played previously for his home town of Belbroughton prior to moving to Alloa. He impressed against King's Park despite their 5-0 defeat, and guested for the Stirling club against Hayburn (Partick) in April 1880. He played in the forward line alongside James Rigg in this match. Henry left the area in July 1880 to attend a scholarship at Warminster College for Missionaries. It was reported that “dissatisfaction sprung up amongst the members” of the County club and, at a meeting instigated by James Rigg at M'Gechaen's Hall, on August 6th, 1880, “Alloa Football Club” was formed with Rigg as their first captain. James was a cabinet-maker and upholsterer by trade, and worked in Alloa. The club shortly changed its name to “Alloa Association Football Club.” Alloa played several matches against Clackmannan County that season. The Dunfermline secretary, Mr J.H. Irvine, misinterpreted “A.A.F.C” to be “Alloa Athletic” in their 2d XI's fixture against Alloa on November 13th, 1880, resulting in them being called this in the Dunfermline press. The Alloa committee liked this name better and so adopted it for the 1881-82 season onwards. In season 1882-83 they ditched their blue jerseys for the orange and black, from which the "Wasps" nickname was coined as early as 1886.

Just judging by the email this morning from Neil Doncaster - I'm interpreting that Premier Sports have allowed domestic streaming of games before Round 2.

So group stages available like last year in UK and Ireland. Will need to speak to Buckie because I assume they'll be happy to let us stream it and revenue share.

Assume that means Sky Sports are the last bastion of blackout.

Edited by LeodhasXD

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Not signing apparently 

No great loss IMO. Incredibly frustrating to watch him continually cut onto his right foot and lose the ball on the edge of the box, and liked to go in a huff and hide more often than not. Plenty better options out there for me. 

Would have been happy if Boyd had signed, but not a disaster if he doesn't. Plenty talent and worked hard, but lost the ball too often. The fact he has apparently chosen not to, when everyone else was quickly on board, maybe says something about his attitude?

58 minutes ago, printer said:

Would have been happy if Boyd had signed, but not a disaster if he doesn't. Plenty talent and worked hard, but lost the ball too often. The fact he has apparently chosen not to, when everyone else was quickly on board, maybe says something about his attitude?

He never seemed that happy here , Didn't have any connection with the fans and as said not a great loss , I wonder where he is off too

I will take a bet on an up and coming team with money to burn ? 😉

1 hour ago, printer said:

I liked Boyd and when he played well he could be very good. There is certainly a player in there if someone can get him firing consistently. Could be wrong but he did appear to be one of the few who seemed to be closely aligned to the previous management team and perhaps that's a factor if he is moving on. Maybe not. 

45 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Views on Jordan Armstrong?

Was a surprising signing in the first place and hardly ever played. A classic Barry Ferguson signing really. Think EK fans thought he was ok so going back to that level makes sense. 

Edited by Waspie

Felt the longer there was no news, the less likely Boyd would be staying, so no great surprise that he is going. 

Said before he seemed to be a confidence player and that if he started well he would generally have a good game, whereas if he didn’t get in to a game early on he would be pretty non-existent, but his goals were important in first half of last season and I would have preferred that he stayed. Will be interesting to see where he goes, think L1 is the right level for him so would be a little surprised if he moves out with this division.