The Alloa Athletic Thread

33 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

We need some players on the bench 

I thought King improved after previous manager left

King did OK for us last year, especially in the circumstances. Same with Church, who is a young left back that can develop. Quite happy if they are both in the squad for next season.

Don't know how Lucas got on out on loan, but Rice had obviously decided he isn't one for us just now. That's not Barry Ferguson's fault. Hope he does well wherever he goes and gets the game time that he needs.

Lucas needs to move on for his sake , just as Partick are letting Niang go so as not to hinder his development 

As for church I agree with @printer not quite in the Callum Waters mould yet but worth hanging on to if there is improvement there 

we are where we are and for those who do not want Niang Church , King and ( dare i have to say it ) Scougall  (or Scrougall depending on where you stand )

who would you bring in ? 

With regards to Church, I guess its wholly dependant on how the manager views the defence as a whole in terms of personnel. If we are going predominantly with Graham and Durnan again at centre back- I have no issue with that at all. Remains to be seen if Andy has another full season in him but both are really good- solid, good in the air, can read the game. Can also pass out fairly well from the back and certainly in Andys case- drive forward when opportunity presents itself.

They arent the quickest though, so whoever you have at full back has to compensate for that weakness to a degree. We know Taggart is on point (if he stays) and can do everything we need. Church I thought improved a lot over the season (most notably when he didnt have a manager who screamed at him all game from the touchline) but he did stray out of position from time to time and theres a risk we get caught from balls over the top when the defensive line is a bit further up the field. It happened a few times during the season, even towards its conclusion. With a quicker centre back next to him you get away with that more often than we do.

I guess its the managers choice whether he thinks he can coach and develop Church, or goes for another option there.

Generally I would expect a fair few changes for next season. As previously noted in terms of teams in the league, making play-off positions could be tough. Budget remains to be seen but we will need a strong squad to compete at the top undoubtedly. With every player the manager will be asking himself "could he compete in a championship competing team" and do they fit effectively into the system he wants to adopt

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

Lucas needs to move on for his sake , just as Partick are letting Niang go so as not to hinder his development 

As for church I agree with @printer not quite in the Callum Waters mould yet but worth hanging on to if there is improvement there 

we are where we are and for those who do not want Niang Church , King and ( dare i have to say it ) Scougall  (or Scrougall depending on where you stand )

who would you bring in ? 

Niang has always impressed me when I've seen him, minus the 25 seconds at the Recs this season. He's someone I would take at Cove. Surprised Partick let him go and interested to see if he ends up in the Championship or L1

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Niang has always impressed me when I've seen him, minus the 25 seconds at the Recs this season. He's someone I would take at Cove. Surprised Partick let him go and interested to see if he ends up in the Championship or L1

Would like to think he would be back here  but he may want /need FT 

It's all about opinions and while I agree Church improved he is not a good enough left back if we want to be challenging at the top end of the league. King had some decent games for us and scored some important goals but for the majority of games he went missing. 

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

It's all about opinions and while I agree Church improved he is not a good enough left back if we want to be challenging at the top end of the league. King had some decent games for us and scored some important goals but for the majority of games he went missing. 

It is, indeed, all about opinions.

Unlikely King will be a first choice. He has been on the bench when Robbo and Scougs were fit, in fact Sena was preferred to him as next choice after those two and wee Kev. 

Similarly Church only got a run of games under Rice when Taggs got injured and Craig Howie was switched to the right. So we may well be looking for an upgrade as first choice left back/left wing back.

15 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Great to see lots of full games from last season posted on the club YouTube channel. Obviously need to be selective in your games but a few on there worth a watch for a pre season fix to kill time.

Noticed that as well , Avoid The Morton friendly unless counting sheep isn't working for you .

11 hours ago, printer said:

It is, indeed, all about opinions.

Unlikely King will be a first choice. He has been on the bench when Robbo and Scougs were fit, in fact Sena was preferred to him as next choice after those two and wee Kev. 

Similarly Church only got a run of games under Rice when Taggs got injured and Craig Howie was switched to the right. So we may well be looking for an upgrade as first choice left back/left wing back.

I would prefer we released guys like Church and King who are unlikely to get much game time and do what Paul Hartley did, bring in youngsters released by Premier League clubs.

That approach seen us get the legend that is Kevin Cawley, Scott Bain, Mikey Doyle, Mark Doherty and Ryan and Ross McCord.

Doesn't always work and other managers have tried it with limited success but definitely worth trying rather than keeping onto players who aren't good enough to start and might even struggle to get on the bench. 

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

I would prefer we released guys like Church and King who are unlikely to get much game time and do what Paul Hartley did, bring in youngsters released by Premier League clubs.

That approach seen us get the legend that is Kevin Cawley, Scott Bain, Mikey Doyle, Mark Doherty and Ryan and Ross McCord.

Doesn't always work and other managers have tried it with limited success but definitely worth trying rather than keeping onto players who aren't good enough to start and might even struggle to get on the bench. 

You'd have to say Daniel Church fits that mould really, after being released after years with Celtic. Albeit, a few spells in L1 now. I don't mind Church being kept on, I saw that one coming. He is still young enough to develop and I reckon he was one of the ones (who played) that has their confidence completely shot down by Ferguson. Will be interesting to see how he does under Rice long-term. I still agree, I am not completely sold and would like some competition there, other than shoehorning midfielders in.

Agree re Adam King. I thought he was fine for us. Without doing too much wrong, didn't feel he influenced the game a whole lot, bar the odd peach. Maybe even just once if memory serves me? Despite a positive end to the season, there is still a big intake of players needed and I thought he would maybe part ways. Even for his sake too as not guaranteed games with the midfield we will (hopefully) have! If he is happy being a squad player and we have a fairly experienced midfielder to fill the gaps, then I don't really mind.

Rest of the list, I tend to agree with. Be interesting to see who our Number 1 is next season. That could make or break our play-off push before the season even begins. I am 99% sure it won't be PJ.

1 hour ago, KierenAAFC said:

Rest of the list, I tend to agree with. Be interesting to see who our Number 1 is next season. That could make or break our play-off push before the season even begins. I am 99% sure it won't be PJ.

Yeah agree with that, keeper and a goal scorer are going to be absolutely key. 

Brett Long at Peterhead would be someone I would have my eye on. 

4 minutes ago, AlloaAdam said:

Russell McLean anyone? Think I’d take a punt on him, reckon he’d bag a few more goals than sammon.

Great shout but apparently on hefty dosh at Balmoor. Youth product returning to club as well. Hearing Steven Buchanan of U20s has signed a deal, let's hope he plays. Seen him a few times, quick, tricky and direct, bit like Adam Martin. 

18 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

With Dumbarton's relegation and Farrell surely being punted, I wonder if there is a potential managerial opening for Andy Graham in the offing ...

Calm down Kieren, we all know when Brian Rice leaves after setting a new consecutive win record Andy's a shoe-in here.

On 06/05/2022 at 16:50, Magic Hat said:

Agree with this. There is an argument for keeping Church as cover for LB and working on him. There is obviously talent there and quite possibly needs a bit of encouragement after his career going off the rails a bit since leaving Celtic (something he didn't get from the previous manager standing behind him on the touchline). I'd have preferred giving that gig to Williamson but Church maybe worth a punt. We really another to bring in another good option for LB regardless. 

King has talent and scored a couple of good goals but as Magic Hat says, he was liable to disappear entirely on a regular basis. This seems to be the story of his career. Probably on a decent wage too after coming from ft football. Perhaps Rice feels he can get more out of him, but way too much of a passenger for me and I'm sure we can get other players who will bring more to the team. 

3 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

With Dumbarton's relegation and Farrell surely being punted, I wonder if there is a potential managerial opening for Andy Graham in the offing ...

Surely if Andy wanted to manage at this stage he'd be in charge at the Recs? Having resisted those opportunities to keep playing as long as he can I don't see why he'd jump now. With Dumbarton unfortunately in a mess off the field too I wouldn't say it's a particularly attractive first job. 

Edited by Waspie

On 06/05/2022 at 09:49, LeodhasXD said:

Used to be the local derby. Maybe been replaced by Falkirk these days. I remember fondly the season when Andy Graham's Stirling and us were going for the League 1 title (1st Division). They pipped us on the final day after winning about 5 games in hand. Honestly, though, that was the last time they were relevant to us. They've spent the majority of the last decade in League 2 whereas we've been in the Championship. Hence the amusing 404 page.

Tremendous work with the 404 page.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm far more interested in our games against the Pars next season than Falkirk. Although it was very funny to somehow finish above them again. Stirling obviously need to pull their fingers out and get back into the same league as us.