The Alloa Athletic Thread

I know in the context of this season and where we were in February, it's a miracle that we have finished 5th however this is our worst final  league position since being relegated in 2011 . 

With the size of squad we had and if the wage bill is to be believed, this has been an absolute disaster of a season . Falkirk have had their lowest league finish also since 1978. 

In 2019 we finished a tough season in the championship with 39 points . This season , in a division that had many part time teams we were only 6 points better off .

We have no devine right to be a championship club given our fan base and we have been punching above our weight for years . In this time we have been extremely well run and have made great key decisions such as the good solid managerial appointments. 

There is no getting away from it we are looking at a rebuild now to reverse this decline. Ferguson appointment and less so The grant appointment failed to reboot us successfully. 

Brian Rice has already shown promise and the ability to get the maximum from the players he inherited. The recruitment now is crucial and sincerely wish him all the best with this. 

It's going to be an interesting summer .

Nobody is denying he has been a loyal servant or been at the club during some great times. He has also been there during poor periods. Continuity wise, that's not always worked either, Smith, Lennon and Ferguson point in case.

In the same way that Kevin Cawley has been here during poor periods as well as the good, I can’t imagine you saying that continuity isn’t a good thing with him, seeing as exactly the same as Paddy he’s given his all for the club and had more success than failure. Paddy has stepped up to take the team when managers have moved on despite making it very clear that he had no interest in being the manager at any point, and for that he deserves respect and thanks for his effort for the club. If he goes, he should go with everyone’s best wishes and would be a big loss.

Don’t think anyone is trying to say that the upturn in form was down to Paddy, but even Rice himself has said how important Paddy has been in helping give Rice an understanding of the squad and allowing him to hit the ground running.

43 minutes ago, AlloaAdam said:

In the same way that Kevin Cawley has been here during poor periods as well as the good, I can’t imagine you saying that continuity isn’t a good thing with him, seeing as exactly the same as Paddy he’s given his all for the club and had more success than failure. Paddy has stepped up to take the team when managers have moved on despite making it very clear that he had no interest in being the manager at any point, and for that he deserves respect and thanks for his effort for the club. If he goes, he should go with everyone’s best wishes and would be a big loss.

Don’t think anyone is trying to say that the upturn in form was down to Paddy, but even Rice himself has said how important Paddy has been in helping give Rice an understanding of the squad and allowing him to hit the ground running.

Never mentioned Cawley and it's totally different when you are playing, not on the sidelines.

He has stepped up, fair play to him, most do if they don't leave with a manager. He has my thanks and best wishes but a big loss..............Cawley would be a bigger loss. It's all opinions and some believe his time has come.  That's what forums are about.

Absolutely nobody on this thread knows the extent of what Paddy does in the dressing or training ground.

Staying in Glasgow, I never attend training, maybe some posters do so are more informed than me. We can’t have short term memories though and you have to remember that Paddy has been an ever-present in the club’s greatest ever period. A legend for that. Because we do not know exactly what he does, we have to look at the managers / players in the past for what they say. Paddy has never been forced upon new managers that he must stay, every manager has decided to keep him on so far. From memory, all have spoken about how much they value him. Sometimes they have brought people with them, Lee Sharp, Bob Malcolm (eek), but Paddy has still remained out of choice. Maybe we will see a 3 of Paddy, Andy, and Rice. Who knows?

For me, I will trust the people who work with him weekly who speak so highly of him. Look at the success on a whole of his time. Adding to the fact that when you do meet him, he truly is a class act. Fair enough if you want fresh faces but any slander or criticism to him is a bit of a stretch IMO.

Thank feck Connolly is going (good source hopefully). As you rightly say Graham would be obvious and popular choice. I agree, think he should hang up the boots and we can remember him for the stalwart he has been. 
1 year older and a lot of younger, fitter strikers next year, we have good replacements.
Why thank feck Connolly is possibly going what is your reason for that statement

8 hours ago, waspie13 said:
On 01/05/2022 at 21:22, McCulloch No.5 said:
Thank feck Connolly is going (good source hopefully). As you rightly say Graham would be obvious and popular choice. I agree, think he should hang up the boots and we can remember him for the stalwart he has been. 
1 year older and a lot of younger, fitter strikers next year, we have good replacements.

Why thank feck Connolly is possibly going what is your reason for that statement

My opinion is he brings little to the team from the sidelines. We have seriously diced with relegation and he was a part of that show. One of the worst 7/8 months I've ever witnessed in over 35 years of watching the club. 

Amazed at the apparent love fest for a first team coach when it's the bodies on the park, recently properly managed in football and as human beings, who should be the focus! 

What is your reason for asking the question? 

That's not really his job though, he's meant to assist the manager and he does plenty of talking to the manager throughout the match as well as play a prominent role in training (which he does) and offering guidance to help the manager form a final opinion.

The season hasn't been great and there were times we looked precarious, but there has been far worse times for the team. We were moments away from being the worst team in the senior leagues in the mid 90s, we struggled in early 2000s when the money started drying up, and even our 10/11 collapse and the point gained at Ayr in 08/09 to stay up on the last day under Maitland were worse seasons than this.

My opinion is he brings little to the team from the sidelines. We have seriously diced with relegation and he was a part of that show. One of the worst 7/8 months I've ever witnessed in over 35 years of watching the club. 
Amazed at the apparent love fest for a first team coach when it's the bodies on the park, recently properly managed in football and as human beings, who should be the focus! 
The reason for asking the question is because you are obviously clueless try going to training & see that he brings to the team & the club

54 minutes ago, waspie13 said:
12 hours ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

The reason for asking the question is because you are obviously clueless try going to training & see that he brings to the team & the club

🤣🤣🤣Clueless🤣🤣🤣 are you his da? I've watched plenty training mate and will undoubtedly be far more qualified to make that judgement than you my friend.

1 minute ago, Kevchenko said:

Think we will hear anything player wise after this evening?

i think most of the obvious players will stay , less the  players who are most likely leaving , can't see any surprises

it is who BR brings in that will be anticipated and we will have to wait a while on that 

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]Clueless[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] are you his da? I've watched plenty training mate and will undoubtedly be far more qualified to make that judgement than you my friend.
You think?

2 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

i think most of the obvious players will stay , less the  players who are most likely leaving , can't see any surprises

it is who BR brings in that will be anticipated and we will have to wait a while on that 

Sounds like you have inside information.

Would take both back. 

Senna can play in defence also and under the guidance of Brian Rice I am sure he would flourish. There is a player in there.  He has the physical attributes for both midfield and defence and potential.