The Alloa Athletic Thread

Like @Waspie i am glad we don't need to risk another manager, Brian has been a breath of fresh air compared to the stink that was around before , Also note that he has praised the fans (and even Joyce )  not something you hear a lot of Around here not  for a while anyway .

2 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Like @Waspie i am glad we don't need to risk another manager, Brian has been a breath of fresh air compared to the stink that was around before , Also note that he has praised the fans (and even Joyce )  not something you hear a lot of Around here not  for a while anyway .

Definitely noticed that as well, he seems to have embedded himself within the club which is what we were crying out for

10 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Definitely noticed that as well, he seems to have embedded himself within the club which is what we were crying out for

It's not difficult to have manners, empathy and generally be nice. In addition he actually also knows how to get the best out of his resources. All in all fantastic news and hopefully he can build on the last several weeks of momentum.

Like [mention=175]Waspie[/mention] i am glad we don't need to risk another manager, Brian has been a breath of fresh air compared to the stink that was around before , Also note that he has praised the fans (and even Joyce )  not something you hear a lot of Around here not  for a while anyway .

Surprised to see Rice saying exactly what the fans want to hear after taking charge of an in-the-dumps club mid-season.

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Surprised to see Rice saying exactly what the fans want to hear after taking charge of an in-the-dumps club mid-season.

Aye, I think the point was more that it's very odd behaviour for a football manager to not do the basics of PR with his club's supporters.

You might think he's irredeemably shite, but he's still been an improvement. Maybe you'll get to find out some day if his predecessor still thinks he has a future in management.

Aye, I think the point was more that it's very odd behaviour for a football manager to not do the basics of PR with his club's supporters.
You might think he's irredeemably shite, but he's still been an improvement. Maybe you'll get to find out some day if his predecessor still thinks he has a future in management.
I don't think he's irredeemably shite, just found it funny that he's doing the exact same thing that he did when he joined us. The following season was a reversion to the depressing seasons we'd grown used to.

So here we are,  could have been worse (BF still here ) could have been better ( No BF at all ) 

Is Paddy Connolly going as i have heard ? if so howabout Andy Graham as assistant manager under Rice 

But i think Andy desperately wants to keep playing on ,  to me though this would make sense .

Edited by Vegetableman

5 hours ago, accies1874 said:
6 hours ago, BFTD said:

I don't think he's irredeemably shite, just found it funny that he's doing the exact same thing that he did when he joined us. The following season was a reversion to the depressing seasons we'd grown used to.

Why would you think it funny that he does what he does ? if you had seen Barry ferguson here you wouldn't be at all surprised about mine and others reaction to Brian rice . 

8 hours ago, accies1874 said:
9 hours ago, BFTD said:

Move on mate, dry yer eyes and stop dwelling on the past. If you'd endured what we had pre Rice you'd realise.

2 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

So here we are,  could have been worse (BF still here ) could have been better ( No BF at all ) 

Is Paddy Connolly going as i have heard ? if so howabout Andy Graham as assistant manager under Rice 

But i think Andy desperately wants to keep playing on ,  to me though this would make sense .

Thank feck Connolly is going (good source hopefully). As you rightly say Graham would be obvious and popular choice. I agree, think he should hang up the boots and we can remember him for the stalwart he has been. 

1 year older and a lot of younger, fitter strikers next year, we have good replacements.

Thank feck Connolly is going (good source hopefully). As you rightly say Graham would be obvious and popular choice. I agree, think he should hang up the boots and we can remember him for the stalwart he has been. 
1 year older and a lot of younger, fitter strikers next year, we have good replacements.

Am I missing something, why is Paddy leaving a good thing (if true)? Been a terrific servant for over 10 years and we’ve had some great times while he’s been here under several different managers.

Also mystified that some would be happy if Paddy goes. Great servant and great guy.

Andy can be beaten for pace but yesterday aside he's played a huge part at the tail end of the season. Set up Cawleys winner against Peterhead and started the move for MacIvers goal against Clyde. Also a goal saving clearance against Falkirk in the 91st minute last week. 9 points right there that he was a huge part of.

Some folk have had a weird thing about Paddy for a while; I think the idea is that he's just hanging around and claiming a wage without doing much. A few folk seem to think he's Mike Mulraney's spy in the dressing room too. Not my opinions; just what I've picked up.

I'd have thought a bit of continuity was a good thing. Only thing I have against him is that Challenge Cup Final performance but, hey, he was just the guy left holding the fort.

A great servant to Alloa . He's stepped up  and dug us out a few times . 

The last 11 years in the main have been terrific and exciting and Paddy has played a huge part in this . Some of the negative comments on here are simply way off the mark . 

Nobody is denying he has been a loyal servant or been at the club during some great times. He has also been there during poor periods. Continuity wise, that's not always worked either, Smith, Lennon and Ferguson point in case.

If he were a "spy" as BFTD said you'd think the chairman would have acted earlier. You're not telling me he's the reason Rice turned things around!?

As for Andy, the point is sentiment cannot get in the way of a footballing decision (bit like my opinion on Connolly). He will be 39 and I have the utmost respect for him and the career he has had. He isn't going to get quicker and even though he is a good reader of the game that won't get him out of jail on a weekly basis. Instead of losing him let's develop him into the next stage of his career. His experience would be invaluable to younger players and defenders.

I can't remember now where i heard this , it may not be true,  nothing against paddy honestly !

but Andy Cannot go on forever we need to keep this in mind , would love to see him stay and go on to the backroom staff .