The Alloa Athletic Thread

On 24/04/2022 at 14:55, Redwedge77 said:

For next Sunday/Monday morning following the Montrose game, MM should have a statement ready Brian Rice has signed for next season or the club are process negotiating a contract with him or worst case the club are in process of hiring a new manager with the relevant experience and qualifications to take us forward. Ideally Rice will stay but we need an indicative timescale (understand delays can occur) of when they would wish to complete this process in order to allow us to prepare for next season

Agree with this. I do think it was a nice job for any half decent manager with plenty of good players and pros and a squad who were clearly very unhappy with the previous manager. Get them happy and organised and we were always going to pick up points. At times I do feel Rice has over complicated things with formation changes etc and some slight concerns there given what Accies fans said about rather random decision making. We could well have actually picked up more points. While I think he was a good man to get us out of the mess we were in, not entirely convinced about him leading a promotion bid. However, he has more than earned the chance to have a shot at it, and while I do have those slight concerns, it's also absolutely certain that we could pick a far, far worse manager. He also has the benefit of having watched the players for 3 months and should have a very good idea of who should stay, something a new manager wouldn't (unless it was an internal appointment). As such I'd be very happy if he stayed, but agree we need it confirmed ASAP. If he has his eye on something else then fair enough, thanks for his help and let's get somebody else fixed up. 

Regarding players I think it's another damning indictment on Ferguson that the most obvious ones to keep are all those who were there before he arrived. As many as possible should be retained from Taggart, Graham, Howie, Robertson, Scougall and Cawley. Trouts showed in his 15 minutes against Celtic that he still has it but obviously lot of questions given he hasn't been seen since. 

From Ferguson's signings I think Durnan has been a success. Boyd has gone off the boil a bit but there is a good player in there and I'd keep him. Sammon can be frustrating but also effective. Only question I'd have is he came from ft and could you get a player to do a similar role on less money, but certainly a case for keeping him. 

I'd like to see a strong LB coming in. Perhaps keep Church as backup, but ideally would give Lucas Williamson that role if he is still knocking about and ready to get his career back on track. On that point, would give Cammy another season too. Adam King has talent but disappears entirely far too often and wouldn't bother spending another season trying to sort that. Hutton, Armstrong and Armour not even up for debate. 

From the loans I like Sena and MacIver perhaps worth working on if Rice stays. Morrison clearly a very capable keeper if he is an option. 

you wouldn't keep howie  ? scougall ?

Personally I feel Scrougall is not consistent enough, this maybe down to being played out of position, injuries and of course the behaviour of the previous manager. He has a magnificent footballing cv to live up to.
Howie has not shown me enough for an offer a contract and the two sending offs show a considerable lack of maturity.

Wasn’t blown away by the appointment of Rice but I think he has done a solid job and would be more than happy having him here next season. He has got the players playing with much more freedom and they look so much different than the first part of the season. He has perhaps over tinkered at times during games which at times caused us to lose shape/control (Dumbarton home game was a standout in that) but at the same time he has shown a willingness to adapt his shape and selection to specific games (midfield set up at QP on that pitch springs to mind, as does starting Henderson and MacIver on Saturday to get in behind Falkirk). 

Squad wise I’m assuming everyone is out of contract? Of what we have I would try and resign:

GK - Burt

Def - Taggs, Andy G, Durnan, Howie and Williamson (is Jamieson still on loan or was that made permanent?! If it was a loan I would try and give him a year)

Mid - Cawley, Robbo, Boyd, Scougall and O’Donnell

Att - Sammon and Trouts (obviously fitness concerns)

Reckon that would leave us needing (at a minimum) a starting keeper, a left back, centre half (if Jamieson isn’t there), probably 2 midfielders, and at least 1 striker but probably 2.

Of the loan players, if Morrison, Sena or MacIver were available I would certainly take them. With Stenny not making the playoffs I would have a look at Adam Corbett but no idea what his contract status is. A creative central midfielder and a goal scorer will be the hardest to find, someone in the mould of Kevin O’Hara would be great!

Durnan, Sammon and Boyd to remain as the only positives from the imbecile, the rest get tae.

The core for many years to also stay. Trouten downed tools because of the imbecile and may be worth one more season. 

Our 3 youths to leave for their own interest and the youth set up to be sacked. It would be great to see them do well elsewhere. We never use it and there is no pathway. Money better spent on the first team.

Would take Morrison and MacIver but would be surprised to see him come here. Sena, byebye as well.

Rice to remain if he can be persuaded, if not big Andy with a revamped backroom. 

Apart from that praise the lord that we stayed up, consolidate next year and build on that for 23/24.

3 hours ago, Redwedge77 said:

Personally I feel Scrougall is not consistent enough, this maybe down to being played out of position, injuries and of course the behaviour of the previous manager. He has a magnificent footballing cv to live up to.
Howie has not shown me enough for an offer a contract and the two sending offs show a considerable lack of maturity.

Aye, he flits between being "quite good" and "brilliant". 😜

On 25/04/2022 at 17:55, Redwedge77 said:

Unfortunately for yourself you'll propably be stuck with scougall for another year unless some one makes an offer alloa can't refuse, 

I can't believe you don't see him as an integral part of the team, he's been our best player since Brian Rice came in, you just had to be at the game on Saturday to see as soon as he went off we fell out the game and stopped creating chances 

2 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

I wrote a wee thing trying to sum up the season. Be good to have a bit of debate about some of the choices I put down for the 'awards'. Here if you are interested in having a read: 

https://kierensfootballramblings.blogspot.com/2022/04/a-difficult-season-ending-in-sense-of.html

Great read.

From the outside looking in my thoughts are that chipper's passion for the game has resonated through not only the terraces, yes more wins are needed and that will come I feel, but to also the players as well. Against us recently you could see the players having more freedom and wanting to play for the shirt. The performance in the first half especially was up there with any other team that came to Balmoral this season.

Definitely promise for the new season. Interesting to see who he recruits in the summer and where he can take Alloa.

2 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

I wrote a wee thing trying to sum up the season. Be good to have a bit of debate about some of the choices I put down for the 'awards'. Here if you are interested in having a read: 

https://kierensfootballramblings.blogspot.com/2022/04/a-difficult-season-ending-in-sense-of.html

Was a really good read and summary of the season.

Durnan would also be my shout for POTY. I think he has been the most consistent throughout the year, and although we conceded a fair few goals, I would say there hasn’t been many you could pin directly on him. Other shouts for it for me would be wee Kev and maybe Scougall. Kev has been pretty consistent most of the season and we are better with him in the team, Scougs started well (I had forgotten about the number of assists until reading your blog) and finished really strong after Rice arrived, but went off the boil a bit in the middle. 

For YPOTY I would probably go for Sena over Henderson, although can’t overestimate the importance of his goals in the first half of the season.

Goal, either Riley-Snow’s strike or Adam King’s up at Montrose (his winner at Dumbarton was also a great finish).

It will take a lot to beat stoppage time at QP for moment of the season, although the first 45 minutes in the second home game against Cove was up there for me - we were sensational in that half and really showed what that team was capable of.

Sammon's goal v Celtic is GotS for me. Trouts coming on and immediately running at them, quick passing with Robbo and Graham, the former with a great run and cross. Totally shook them. 

PotY is a tricky one as no one has really stood out in what was a difficult season. Most consistent performers IMO have been Durnan, Taggs, Kev and Scougs (especially when played in their best positions), Robbo too who filled in OK at full back and then, to no one's surprise, made a big difference in midfield.

I'm going to go for Cawley. He's popped up with some key goals, especially when we started to pull away to safety and also reached the 400 games, which clinches it for me.

Henderson for young player.

I'd agree with printer there. King and Riley-Snow both excellent hits but Sammon's was a great team goal against a top team. I'd chuck in Boyd against Cove as a contender too, beautifully worked team goal from deep and it really felt that day that the the dark cloud that had been hanging over the Recs was lifting. 

Durnan is a decent shout for Player of the Year, been steady and consistent in a struggling side. I think Taggs is a good shout too, like every other season he pretty much guarantees a solid display every week. It was far from the best Alloa side he has played in, but his standards didn't drop. And as printer says, there is a good case for wee Kev too. 

Young Player of the Year probably Henderson, basically for his goals in the first spell and the fact there are no other contenders. 

Good news having Rice extended for next season. 

Thought there may be one or two sniffing about him and there were a couple of comments in the programme notes that made me wonder if it was a bit of a farewell, so pleased to see he will be here next season. 

looking forward to seeing what he can do recruitment wise after the positive moves bringing in Morrison and MacIver this season. 

He has certainly earned the chance to have a proper shot at it with his work since taking over. On top of that, I really didn't want us having to find a new boss at this stage who wouldn't know what he was inheriting, and with the danger too we might make another dodgy appointment like this time last year. No guarantees Chipper will succeed long term but his short term record is good and he brings continuity and should be a pretty safe pair of hands. Don't think it was a formality that he was staying either.

Hopefully he can get the key men re-signed asap and add some decent signings. Good luck Chipper! 

Aye, he flits between being "quite good" and "brilliant". [emoji12]

giphy.gif

That’s your opinion, mines is he falls out of games and can go into hiding when games get physical. Maybe I am comparing him to Simmons, Homes, McCord or Flanny. Just spoiled the last 10 years.

We could place Scrougall in Brown Ferguson level.

Nice that Rice is staying on and can start building for next season. It'll take a fair effort to get us in promotion contention next year, but he deserves his chance to take a crack at it.