The Alloa Athletic Thread

Well done to Brian Rice in keeping us up.   

From where we were in February we had relegation certainties written all over us . That day at the Recs against East Fife was a low point and credit to the chairman , swift action was taken and a decent manager was hired to at least instill some confidence into a beleaguered squad. 

A lost opportunity this season though particularly given the budget we have had and also the quality of the league in general. Falkirk and Queens park have been very poor despite their full time status and spend . Cove will be deserved champions but in truth the division has been very mediocre. In my opinion Airdrie have been the best team I've seen playing us but table doesn't lie etc in Late April. 

The squad we had at the end of last season , with a few tweaks and a couple of additions should have certainly made the play offs . 

Next season the league will include. Financially well backed Kelty ,Queen of the south , perhaps a Dunfermline or Ayr United as well as probably a rejuvenated Falkirk and Queens park . I fear we will be making up the numbers to be honest. We have burned through the cash on a squad of 25 players etc this term and doubt this will continue. 

In all honesty, we are going to have to complete with much bigger clubs with financially more resources than us and fear it's a relegation scrap all over again. 

I sincerely hope Brian Rice stays with us. His experience and contacts will be invaluable however I fear he may have other offers to consider. 

Edited by Oweny

Sammon does a role in the team that nobody else can do. Maybe MacIver but not as well. Yes, if he could add more goals to his game he'd be some asset but I like the role he plays and would like to see him stick around. Albeit, that is the position that needs drastically improved next season. Need more goals. Sammo, however, facilitates a lot to allow our better footballers to play. I do agree that would like to see it more consistent but for now, think he is effective. 

I hope Brian Rice stays on, he appears to be a very positive manager and has certainly got a lot more out of the team than his predecessor.

I think we will need to look at bringing in  players who could replace the club's current stalwarts when father time finally catches up with them. This will be no easy feat.   Taggart, Graham, Cawley, Robertson, Trouten and Sammon are all in their early to mid 30's, it wouldn't surprise me if a few of them leave the club over the summer. I feel next season will be very challenging. As long as the players give a good, solid account of themselves, i guess it is all that we can ask. Looking at the potential strength of next year's league, i think finishing 4th would realistically be seen as a success.

Edited by Pie on a Roll

13 hours ago, Oweny said:

From where we were in February we had relegation certainties written all over us . That day at the Recs against East Fife was a low point and credit to the chairman , swift action was taken and a decent manager was hired to at least instill some confidence into a beleaguered squad. 

A lost opportunity this season though particularly given the budget we have had and also the quality of the league in general. Falkirk and Queens park have been very poor despite their full time status and spend . Cove will be deserved champions but in truth the division has been very mediocre. In my opinion Airdrie have been the best team I've seen playing us but table doesn't lie etc in Late April. 

The squad we had at the end of last season , with a few tweaks and a couple of additions should have certainly made the play offs . 

Next season the league will include. Financially well backed Kelty ,Queen of the south , perhaps a Dunfermline or Ayr United as well as probably a rejuvenated Falkirk and Queens park . I fear we will be making up the numbers to be honest. We have burned through the cash on a squad of 25 players etc this term and doubt this will continue. 

In all honesty, we are going to have to complete with much bigger clubs with financially more resources than us and fear it's a relegation scrap all over again. 

I sincerely hope Brian Rice stays with us. His experience and contacts will be invaluable however I fear he may have other offers to consider. 

Well done indeed, great job. Not so sure saying the chairman acted swiftly is correct, not swift enough in my opinion.  Next season will be tough and this close season could be one of our most important for a very long time  both manager and squad wise.

11 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Sammon does a role in the team that nobody else can do. Maybe MacIver but not as well. Yes, if he could add more goals to his game he'd be some asset but I like the role he plays and would like to see him stick around. Albeit, that is the position that needs drastically improved next season. Need more goals. Sammo, however, facilitates a lot to allow our better footballers to play. I do agree that would like to see it more consistent but for now, think he is effective. 

Spot on for me - I criticised Sammon earlier in the season for some of his performances, but I think he has played well to close out the season. 

He should work well as part of a 2 up front and I had high hopes for him and Henderson working together, but Henderson has obviously went really cold. Personally would stick MacIver up with Sammon for the last couple of games. 

Sammon does a lot of the dirty work that won’t show up on a stat sheet - he seems to win a lot in the air and with someone harder working around him, I think this would stand out more. 

Echo the thoughts of others on Sammon. It doesnt necessarily work for him every single week, and in an ideal world I'd have liked to see him hit double figures in terms of goals. But his work rate and overall role in the team I dont think can really be questioned. We were also I thought over reliant on him under the last guy, and that led to Sammon at times chasing aimless high balls.

His work back to goal has always been really good, hes undoubtedly a handful to opposition defenders, and Brian Rice has tweaked the formation to provide him far more support up top to maximise his impact on games.

It is easy to be critical based on the level hes been at in the game in the past, but I think his contribution this season has been okay.

20 hours ago, Oweny said:

All hypothetical of course, but I still think had we not appointed BF, its likely the highest we would have finished this season is third. Cove and Airdrie are pretty decent teams in the league and I doubt we'd have finished above them. Agree though, summer could be interesting and remains to be seen if the budget is still there to invest significantly in the playing squad. 

Play-offs at times arent completely reflective of the season, so you never know, QP might well win them and go up.

Sammon has been alright , did we all notice no Hutton at cove , 

spat the dummy ? injured ? 

released ? 

anyone care ?

No idea how things will be next season

see you at the FS  (or as its known the F@cks Sake stadium ) .

14 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Sammon has been alright , did we all notice no Hutton at cove , 

spat the dummy ? injured ? 

released ? 

anyone care ?

You also didn't notice the lack of staff on the bench as Paddy and Robert Glen never travelled. Not everything is a conspiracy.

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

You also didn't notice the lack of staff on the bench as Paddy and Robert Glen never travelled. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Settle down son never said it was a conspiracy, 

Hutton should have been told to do one with his buddy Baz. His attitude stinks, He couldn’t even do a warm up when asked at East Fife by back room staff when all subs were asked to do a warm up. Just scowled at fans walking past.

For next Sunday/Monday morning following the Montrose game, MM should have a statement ready Brian Rice has signed for next season or the club are process negotiating a contract with him or worst case the club are in process of hiring a new manager with the relevant experience and qualifications to take us forward. Ideally Rice will stay but we need an indicative timescale (understand delays can occur) of when they would wish to complete this process in order to allow us to prepare for next season

Agree we should be moving quickly to tie up the manager, if he's happy to stay, and the players he wants to keep. Personally I'd keep the following:

No brainer

• Taggs
  • Andy G
  • Durnan
  • Howie
  • Robbo
  • Scougs
  • Wee Kev
  • Trouts (assuming his fitness issued are resolved, which may be a big assumption given the last year)

Good enough at least for the squad

• Church
  • King
  • Sammon
  • O'Donnell
  • Boyd

Rest of the contracted players can go, apart from Burt.

Re the loan players, not sure what all their situations are apart from Henderson, who I believe has another year at the Jambos, but if available Sena and McIver would be worth offers.

It would be great if we could get Morrison back on loan, otherwise a good goalie is a priority. As are a couple of quality strikers - always key, but always the hardest to get.

Edited by printer

14 minutes ago, printer said:

Agree we should be moving quickly to tie up the manager, if he's happy to stay, and the players he wants to keep. Personally I'd keep the following:

No brainer

• Taggs
  • Andy G
  • Durnan
  • Howie
  • Robbo
  • Scougs
  • Wee Kev

Good enough at least for the squad

• Church
  • King
  • Sammon
  • O'Donnell
  • Boyd

Rest of the contracted players can go, apart from Burt.

Re the loan players, not sure what all their situations are apart from Henderson, who I believe has another year at the Jambos, but if available Sena and McIver would be worth offers.

It would be great if we could get Morrison back on loan, otherwise a good goalie is a priority. As are a couple of quality strikers - always key, but always the hardest to get.

Some Partick fans reckon McIver will be released so that would be worth a punt if true

maybe the same with sena ?

I would offer all of the players you mentioned a contract , Armstrong and Armour surely will move on at least for thier own sake , Its the keepers position that concerns me most , PJ has been an improvement and would like to see that loan happen again too . Trouten looks to be retiring  and with mendy gone room to sign another 2 at least but it is a difficult task finding good players willing to come here ,we have a player well worth the championship in Scougall mind you,  1 or 2 like that would be something else .

Edited by Vegetableman

I would suggest there is little sentiment in football, personally I think Trouts will call it a day after the amount of injuries over past few seasons have taken it toll on him which is a real shame. A class player which will be very hard to replace. May get a pay as play deal.
Andy also probably should hang up the boots a great warrior for the club and a tremendous leader on and off the park. I feel he’s went on a season to long. Over past season he has been caught with his pace slowing, although his ability to read the game assists him greatly another one who will sadly be missed when he leaves club. If Andy is to be released or retire I hope club do it in a dignified manner.

I would keep tags, Durnan, Robbo, Sammon and wee kev and bin the rest. Mciver worth an offer if released and in the rest.

49 minutes ago, Redwedge77 said:

I would suggest there is little sentiment in football, personally I think Trouts will call it a day after the amount of injuries over past few seasons have taken it toll on him which is a real shame. A class player which will be very hard to replace. May get a pay as play deal.
Andy also probably should hang up the boots a great warrior for the club and a tremendous leader on and off the park. I feel he’s went on a season to long. Over past season he has been caught with his pace slowing, although his ability to read the game assists him greatly another one who will sadly be missed when he leaves club. If Andy is to be released or retire I hope club do it in a dignified manner.

I would keep tags, Durnan, Robbo, Sammon and wee kev and bin the rest. Mciver worth an offer if released and in the rest.

you wouldn't keep howie  ? scougall ?