The Alloa Athletic Thread

On 14/03/2022 at 16:21, LeodhasXD said:

There's usually some by the away turnstile on sale by the stewards - I'll mention if someone can make sure to take some over on Saturday. 

Was online to buy a match ticket today so bought programmes at the same time, Thanks for the help.

Win on Saturday a big 3 points for us and gives us some breathing space from 9th.

Looking at the run in, I'd guess 3 more wins would be more than enough to guarantee safety, with more winnable games in the coming weeks. The most vital game looks like the next home one against Dumbarton, although obviously all are important.

Remaining fixtures- East Fife (a) Dumbarton (h) Clyde (h) Falkirk (a) Cove (a) Montrose (h)

So 3 games we would be looking to win, followed by 3 tougher games. However...Cove may have the league sewn up (especially if they beat Airdrie this weekend coming) and Montrose will have playoffs in mind, so in theory those games may not be as tough as they look on paper.

Getting to the 40 point mark should be enough, and we are on 33 just now. But 3 wins would surely see us safe from 9th.

29 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Win on Saturday a big 3 points for us and gives us some breathing space from 9th.

Looking at the run in, I'd guess 3 more wins would be more than enough to guarantee safety, with more winnable games in the coming weeks. The most vital game looks like the next home one against Dumbarton, although obviously all are important.

Remaining fixtures- East Fife (a) Dumbarton (h) Clyde (h) Falkirk (a) Cove (a) Montrose (h)

So 3 games we would be looking to win, followed by 3 tougher games. However...Cove may have the league sewn up (especially if they beat Airdrie this weekend coming) and Montrose will have playoffs in mind, so in theory those games may not be as tough as they look on paper.

Getting to the 40 point mark should be enough, and we are on 33 just now. But 3 wins would surely see us safe from 9th.

I reckon winning the next 2 would be enough for avoiding the playoffs. If we did win them I think we would have a chance of finishing ahead of Clyde, especially with then playing them next - the 3 losses to them this year could be looked at as what’s really cost us the chance of a top 4 finish. 

I think the 7 point gap to Falkirk is too much to overcome, so reckon it will be a 6th-8th place finish. 

13 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

I reckon winning the next 2 would be enough for avoiding the playoffs. If we did win them I think we would have a chance of finishing ahead of Clyde, especially with then playing them next - the 3 losses to them this year could be looked at as what’s really cost us the chance of a top 4 finish. 

I think the 7 point gap to Falkirk is too much to overcome, so reckon it will be a 6th-8th place finish. 

yep tend to agree , It will be interesting to average out our points tally from when "he" left till the end of the season and work out where we might have been in that alternate timeline , just glad we now have a really good chance for next season and look like we will avoid the drop barring a collapse, but i think we can only get better .

2 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

the 3 losses to them this year could be looked at as what’s really cost us the chance of a top 4 finish.

Or perhaps the appointment of a terrible manager was the issue! Anyhow, fresh air all over the recs now, cloud lifted, onwards and upwards.

Situation looks a lot better and it's a little disappointing that we didn't get the wins against Cove and Queen's Park, which as Tam says would have set up an unlikely late season crack at the play-offs. Really important we try and build some momentum though and get a few more wins. We should definitely be aiming to win the next three. If we were to lose focus and lose those matches we'd quickly enough be very much back in a relegation battle. 

Alright lads,

Coming along for the game a week on Saturday. Bringing a few 'neutrals' too. 
Recommendations for pubs/drinking pre and post match appreciated. Whats the Spoons like ? Will be coming in by train

The spoons is the mirror image of all spoons with the atmosphere of the STD clinic waiting room.

The Station is probably a decent bet just two minutes from the train station. More in to the town and slightly closer to the ground the Thistle or the old Brewery are ok.

2 hours ago, Redwedge77 said:

The spoons is the mirror image of all spoons with the atmosphere of the SDS clinic waiting room.

The Station is probably a decent bet just two minutes from the train station. More in to the town and slightly closer to the ground the Thistle or the old Brewery are ok.

Cheers RW77 👍

• 2 weeks later...

maybe just seeing how it all goes, as MM might not want to commit too much after the BF disaster ?

Or does brian have an option for next season knowing that before taking the Alloa job ..who knows  ?

but he does seem keen enough to stay by the look of it  .

Rice for me has done more than enough to be offered an extension in summer. We aren't perfect, but he has improved us significantly since coming in. Although to be fair my 12 year old daughter would have set up the team better than the last guy.

This Falkirk job will be up in summer, so there may be other options available for him. If he goes it is what it is, but so far he's done what's been asked of him and we now look a fairly competent team.

51 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Rice for me has done more than enough to be offered an extension in summer. We aren't perfect, but he has improved us significantly since coming in. Although to be fair my 12 year old daughter would have set up the team better than the last guy.

This Falkirk job will be up in summer, so there may be other options available for him. If he goes it is what it is, but so far he's done what's been asked of him and we now look a fairly competent team.

100% agree, saved a sinking ship, installed confidence, got wins and interacted with players, fans and the local media. All we ever wanted really.🤷🏻‍♂️

If Falkirk's still the off-pitch raging bin fire that their fans have been complaining about, he'd genuinely be better off staying here, considering some of the jobs our previous managers have ended up at. Even Peter Grant did quite well for himself (for a few months).

23 hours ago, BFTD said:

If Falkirk's still the off-pitch raging bin fire that their fans have been complaining about, he'd genuinely be better off staying here, considering some of the jobs our previous managers have ended up at. Even Peter Grant did quite well for himself (for a few months).

Agreed,  it really is a poisoned chalice to sup from over at The FS , peter grant aught to have stayed where he was too (from his perspective)

beware Mr Rice  ..Careful now .