The Alloa Athletic Thread

In September Brian Rice played a flat back 4. By November these 4 defenders were our midfield with 3 centre halfs behind them. And he wondered why we didnt create many chances.
He also gave a 2 year extension to David Moyo !
He is a dreadful manager.

Dreadful Managers ? You’ll know about that Lithgi

Cannie believe some of the negativity on here . We are not a full time outfit, we are a division 2 size club with a division 2 size fanbase unfortunately, punching above its weight. 

I am happy with Brian Rice and good luck to him. I am delighted we have made changes and appointed an experienced guy especially in the crisis that has engulfed us . We need 4 wins now to secure our league 1 status and it's not going to be easy.  

Ferguson has turned out a disastrous appointment for us and it's sensible getting an experienced guy in to navigate us through the remaining fixtures. He knows the scene and worked tirelessly at Hamilton keeping them up many times against the odds. It wasn't long ago that he was turning down Falkirk . 

A great result yesterday and hopefully it's a start of a bit of form. 

Mon Alloa . 

Was nice having a bit of different feeling at the game yesterday. Not naive enough to think all our troubles are gone but enjoyed not having a feeling of impending doom yesterday. 

With Rice, I can’t say I’m blown away at the appointment, but as others have mentioned, we are fishing in a pretty small pond with our current situation. Regardless, he and the team will have my backing 100%. 

Insane that yesterday seen some of our better passing moves this season on what was a shocker of a pitch. There were definitely signs of a team who looked like a weight had been lifted and felt they could play with a bit more freedom and confidence. 

3 of the toughest games up next before the following 3 which will define our season. 

4 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

First impressions. Very good guy. Likeable. Sense of humour. Can't wait for the fun factor to be back on Saturday.

On the football side, on paper, bags of experience. Happy with the appointment.

his man management will be an improvement on our last one without a doubt

The interesting thing about this appointment was the club at no point sought applicants like previous appointments along with the speed maybe the club had a plan B. The man has a vast experience in football with his numerous roles, as we are only to well aware every appointment is a gamble. A lot of other clubs fans seem keen to kick us when we are down let’s just let the chickens come home to roost.

I watched training on Thursday and even before his appointment the change in atmosphere was so much more inclusive and relaxed, this also appears to have continued on to Saturday. Let’s hope it continues under BR.

I can't say it's an appointment that thrills me, but I'm hoping that he'll prove me wrong. In the short term we just need someone who can bring out some of the quality that's present in the squad, and get the team enjoying playing football again. I suspect that he'll be a good appointment to see us through to the end of the season.

Longer term, we'll just have to wait and see. His job at Hamilton seems to be one that looks pretty good from the outside, but Hamilton fans clearly have a different take on it. More worrying in his recent history is (as one of my mates just posted in our group chat) that he was assistant to Alan Stubbs at St Mirren.

He'll get my support and hopefully he can lead us away from the relegation battle.

First impressions. Very good guy. Likeable. Sense of humour. Can't wait for the fun factor to be back on Saturday.
On the football side, on paper, bags of experience. Happy with the appointment.
Chipper's a good lad [emoji1666]

Is Brian Rice the man to keep Alloa up?

I'd say he is.

Is Brian Rice the man to turn Alloa back into title contenders? 

I'm not convinced he is.

It reminds me a bit of when we appointed Jim Duffy when we struggling down the wrong end of the league after coming down. As mentioned above though, Rice will be night and day from Ferguson. I've met him a couple of times and he's struck me both times as a genuinely nice, warm guy - and someone who cares greatly about his football and his club.

That's probably what this Alloa team need. Because as individuals there is more than enough quality there. The biggest issue was clearly Ferguson's insecurity when it came to managing experienced players. Rice will have to freshen the squad up a fair bit over the summer (imo), which is where Duffy crashed and burned with us. But I'd be very surprised if you guys ended up in a relegation battle now. I think it'll be us, Clyde, Peterhead and East Fife making up the bottom four spots, with you lot safely in mid-table obscurity.