The Alloa Athletic Thread

People are forgetting what we have had since MM took over how many years ago. I have been attending the Recs since a a nipper in the 1950's. Honest.

Some good teams but mostly languishing in the bottom tiers. Think back over the last ten years or so. We are on our second plastic pitch, we got rid of the glaur (although I still have some on an old pair of shoes.) We have played in the same league as Hearts, Rangers, Hibs. A sustained spell in the Championship. Great times compared with what has gone before in probably the whole history of the club. So the chairman, who is no fool has made a bad appointment. Give him a bit of slack, there will be all sorts of stuff going on under the radar. He is the chairman, could any of us achieve that? 

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

9 minutes ago, alloagh said:

People are forgetting what we have had since MM took over how many years ago. I have been attending the Recs since a a nipper in the 1950's. Honest.

Some good teams but mostly languishing in the bottom tiers. Think back over the last ten years or so. We are on our second plastic pitch, we got rid of the glaur (although I still have some on an old pair of shoes.) We have played in the same league as Hearts, Rangers, Hibs. A sustained spell in the Championship. Great times compared with what has gone before in probably the whole history of the club. So the chairman, who is no fool has made a bad appointment. Give him a bit of slack, there will be all sorts of stuff going on under the radar. He is the chairman, could any of us achieve that? 

It is how you rectify your mistakes that you judge a man by ,

All his good work is being unraveled in front of his eyes

we have a shocking disciplinary record too    must be the worst in Scotland 

it is painful to watch this disintegration  .

Edited by Vegetableman

15 minutes ago, alloagh said:

Whilst I agree with the vast majority of this (credit to you as well for all those years) a standard was set.

Expectations were raised not least by the period after the Hartley years but also by chairman and manager comments at the start of this debacle.

We now have a generation of Alloa fans who know no different to our recent successes. We are at risk of losing them, the future of what we are and have been for many years.  Lifeblood of the club and in all honesty the way forward. 

The chairman has my respect for his business acumen and to get where he has, has undoubtedly meant sacrificing a lot. Credit where it's due.

However, there is always a however. I'm pretty certain along that journey he has fired people who are not performing. This is no different. If it's a cash issue due to the alleged wage of our under performing manager then take stock. I have no access to figures but being in division 2 for a prolonged period won't bring in finance neither will it attract players to get us out of there.

This is a crucial strategic decision that may affect us for many years. We see it, other fans see it, why do the chairman and board not?

I genuinely fear they are scared of the ego of the under achiever and that is worrying.

I am absolutely certain we will end up in league 2,i said so the day we took Ferguson on.Mike will not sack him,he just won't.I feel really sorry for you guys still attending games,but it appears more and more fans are starting to do what i did and not attend,despite my season ticket.Someone mentioned a boycott,and i think completely empty seats are all that Mike will take notice of,because trust me he gives the impression of a chairman who has turned his back on the fans,and the fans should do the same,and this really pains me to say this.As bad as this season has been,i don't see us ever attracting a decent squad of players again if we drop into league 2,none of the previous teams in recent times have,why should we be any better at managing it.Very,very sad times being an Alloa fan just now.I get just as angry finding out the results,as i did attending games,you just can't escape it.Anger can't really describe how i feel at this utter debacle.

4 hours ago, alloagh said:

Great post . A lot of folks with short memories on here . 

I don't think anyone is forgetting what the club has achieved over the last decade. However we are rightly concerned at Mike's reluctance to do anything when his decisions are wrong. No other club in Scotland would have persisted with Ferguson this long and would be looking to change things. Maitland's last season was the same, as he should have been replaced at least 2 months before he led us to relegation. Add to that both Smith and Lennon hung around for longer than their results merited. 

Surely sacking a poor manager won't look as bad on his SFA CV than sitting back idly whilst his club are relegated.

Maitland definitely should have gone earlier, no doubt about that.

Lennon was probably about right in terms of timing- that early December home loss to Dumbarton that season was pretty much a nail in the coffin type of result. And although reported as resigning, I'm led to believe that was more of a mutual consent departure.

Barry Smith was a resignation, and (again what I heard at the time) was related to other aspects too and not entirely down to results on the park. I think had that not happened, he'd have got the cup final at least, but we'd have definitely gone down that season had a change not occurred.

I think the only Alloa manager Mike has outright sacked is Tom Hendrie

I think everyone is concerned about this and looking for him to pull the trigger. But a few are going a bit too far (IMO) with the personal stuff aimed at him.

Also I dont know if its replicated in the attendance figures, but home crowd seemed noticeably lower on Saturday. That will continue if we sleepwalk our way towards relegation- you can see even some of the die hards are either considering or have already found something else to do on a Saturday for a wee while. 

Saturday had the feel of a proper watershed moment unfortunately. That critical point in the season where you get that sinking feeling.

13 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Maitland definitely should have gone earlier, no doubt about that.

Lennon was probably about right in terms of timing- that early December home loss to Dumbarton that season was pretty much a nail in the coffin type of result. And although reported as resigning, I'm led to believe that was more of a mutual consent departure.

Barry Smith was a resignation, and (again what I heard at the time) was related to other aspects too and not entirely down to results on the park. I think had that not happened, he'd have got the cup final at least, but we'd have definitely gone down that season had a change not occurred.

I think the only Alloa manager Mike has outright sacked is Tom Hendrie

I think everyone is concerned about this and looking for him to pull the trigger. But a few are going a bit too far (IMO) with the personal stuff aimed at him.

Also I dont know if its replicated in the attendance figures, but home crowd seemed noticeably lower on Saturday. That will continue if we sleepwalk our way towards relegation- you can see even some of the die hards are either considering or have already found something else to do on a Saturday for a wee while. 

Saturday had the feel of a proper watershed moment unfortunately. That critical point in the season where you get that sinking feeling.

Us Alloa diehards know the signs of relegation more than any other fans in Scotland I reckon. Though on the plus side we've probably experienced the most promotions as well. 

Both are a good excuse to drink, so every cloud and all that.

16 minutes ago, mcqbez said:

Personally I think a protest should be organised

As FBS said the attendances are looking slimmer , boycott the cove game , let them see the spaces on the terrace

that will be as effective and we wont get criticised for mouthing off any personal stuff .

Saturday felt like a very damning day for the manager. It wasn’t just a defeat, it was a team abject of confidence, ideas, fight. It’s a really grim picture. A no show at the press conference after isn’t much of an indicator as it’s happened a few times but the mood just felt very flat and defeated after a horrendous week. 

It’s no revelation to say that his time is done. There is no room for optimism with the current regime. Stefan Scougall having an anonymous performance and being hooked at half-time summed it up. Managed well and set up well, he should be the heartbeat of a team fighting for promotion. Signings like Ben Armour being thrown on with minutes to go show a lack of ideas and planning. He’s a Ferguson signing that Ferguson has no intention of playing, and begrudges using him. He joins the list alongside Jordan Armstrong, Tom Leighton, Mark Lamont, etc. Money isn’t a problem for us but it’s such a waste and if we end up League 2 these are the signings and expenditure we look back on and bemoan. 

I would be surprised to see him at Dumbarton, however, who knows? I think the boycotting of games and attacks on Mulraney are slightly unfair. Still have to back the team. Don’t agree with the argument from the dugout that fans can’t vent their frustrations and that is a factor. Supporters have no other way to be heard then go along and if watching that on Saturday, vent their frustrations. Massive game Saturday though and hopefully can back the team in a more positive light. As said above, the owner has been at the helm of our most successful era. I’m sure he is well aware of the implications of relegation and will step in when necessary, which I think will be this week. Surely. 

In terms of the actual football selection, it’s going to be really tough this weekend. No Henderson, no Sammon and Trouten potentially. Boyd not firing, along with most of the team. Greig Spence emergency loan? 😋

We really could do with some sort of psychological boost. Think for me the perfect situation to lift the mood is Andy in for the rest of the season. Although, we rely on him more and more on the park now as Mendy somehow becomes more of a bomb scare. I just think this team have ability and if anyone can get them enjoying their football again, it’s that man. 

Edited by KierenAAFC