The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

guys quick question, who is bets to contact regarding programmes? Ordered one online for the original match postponed at new year but yet to receive it.

Just respond to your confirmation email and I'll pick it up. 

I've been supporting Alloa for 25 years and have seen a lot of great players during that time. But none have been as consistently outstanding as Kevin Cawley - 10 years of service, and his performance levels have very rarely dipped in that time. Even in the odd games where it's not quite happening for him, his sheer workmate and commitment to the team effort are still phenomonal. And his sheer versatility means he should (in my opinion anyway) be the first name on the teamsheet each & every week.

A true Alloa legend and, for me, very real contender for the GOAT.

On 09/02/2022 at 09:59, drs said:

He's never managed a Junior club.

Juniors are dead and have been for some time, not sure why some people fail to grasp this point.

To be pedantic, there are still two Junior leagues and the Scottish Junior Cup chunders on.  But you knew what he meant.

9 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I remember being really pleased we signed him back in 2011. We had played against Shire in the cup the previous season-  League Cup I think. Cawley scored early in the game and generally ran our defence ragged, even though we came back to win 2-1.

I was at Stair Park for the opening game of the 2011/12 season where he scored a classic winner for 10 man Alloa, and hes produced countless moments just like that over the course of his Alloa career. An absolute joy to watch over the last decade for the club.

Both Stranraer trips that season were glorious. Wee Kev's winner sparking bedlam behind the goals. 

Was away for work straight after the Falkirk game so not had time to comment, but share much of what’s already been said. 

Was irate at the team selection of Andy and Kev being dropped to the bench. I suppose with Andy there could be a caveat of games in a short space of time at his age, but based on the fact he didn’t play midweek, and the horror show that Mendy put on in that first half, there is absolutely zero excuse for him not starting alongside Durnan today. 

Starting Kev on his 400th appearance wouldn’t have been a sentimental selection at all - he’s been one of our best players all season. 

Boyd is an interesting one - he’s definitely went off the boil a bit but he does have a bit of credit in the bank from the start of the season for me. His performances and goals at the start of the season were vital at the time. He strikes me as a bit of a confidence player - if he gets on the ball early and starts well he seems to have a decent game, whereas if he has a quiet start or a poor start he seems to continue in that vein for the rest of the game. 

With one high profile Dick having bowed to the inevitable this week and departed her post, attention switches to the Recs and a relegation showdown between the Wasps and East Fife. 

Will Ferguson stick with the bizarre selection from midweek or will he instead pick the best team, even if that means leaving out his own signings? Despite our struggles we should in principle have enough quality to defeat East Fife, but unfortunately that hasn't been working out too well for us this season. I thought we were actually pretty fortunate to win the previous game against them at the Recs, at a time when our prospects in general were a good bit brighter. All will be revealed. 

5 minutes ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

If we lose today to the team stuck on the bottom surely,surely, he must be sacked!

I'd like to hope so.....but I've no confidence it'd happen.

Surely impossible that Ferguson will survive this? I think the writing is on the wall now having watched his post-match interview against Falkirk. Similar happened at Clyde, albeit he was actually a bit unlucky that season; just devolved into him going on after every defeat about not knowing why things were going wrong. That squad of yours, if managed properly, could and should piss its way to safety if you get a proper manager in pronto.

The penalty decision looked bizarre. I don't have any sympathy for the pass back, Hutton should be taking no chances there and just hammering the ball down the park. But all that is irrelevant as we were absolutely shite and East Fife deserved at least to be level at half time anyway. Any hope we might have got anything in the second half disappeared with the red card. 

Thing is, if we had squeezed a point or three out of the game today it still wouldn't have changed anything, just like the win last week didn't change anything. Somehow winning next week - which looks most unlikely given how abject today was - wouldn't make a difference to our fundamental problem either. The management team have to go now. 

Edited by Waspie