The Alloa Athletic Thread

You get the pleasure of watching Really-Slow? 

He was ok in a couple of games but played a huge part in us throwing a FOUR GOAL lead away after he came on as a sub.

I'm not even joking.

Edit - ok so it was 4-2 when he came on, but he really cannot mark his man, or any man. 

Edited by pantene proV

Totally uninspiring, 27th January and this is the sum of our activity!

1 signing out of a rumoured 9 attempted really goes to show people are talking and don't want to come and play at the recs. Another CM as well. Let's see what other dross they come up with in the next few days!

1 hour ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Totally uninspiring, 27th January and this is the sum of our activity!

1 signing out of a rumoured 9 attempted really goes to show people are talking and don't want to come and play at the recs. Another CM as well. Let's see what other dross they come up with in the next few days!

4 weeks of a transfer window wasted on the wrong manager. 

4 hours ago, renton said:

In the second half (ironically playing a bit further forward), in the first half he was terrible, and while you are right in saying he's not the speediest and is clumsy in the challenge  his worst aspect is not seeming to be able to read the game that well. He's not up to the pace of any given game and often will miss runs he should be tracking, or generally standing in the wrong place.

The dip in performance during the 2-1 win over Ayr between Spencer going off and him going on was fucking stark.

In short, he's not very good.

BRS did OK for us in the few starts he made. He has good vision, and can make some really pretty passes, but is also (as noted above) not above being a tackling donkey. His form off the bench is noticeably different, and not in a good way.

As a League One starter he’ll likely not set the heather on fire, but I would expect him to perform quite serviceably for you…off the bench, I would reserve judgement until you can see if the step down in level negates his slow adaption to the state of play when he comes on. For Christ’s sake don’t put him on at or after the 60-70” mark!

8 hours ago, Waspie said:

Robbo and Sena is a cracking centre midfield partnership. So we'll probably have King and Riley-Snow there on Saturday. Anyway, welcome to Blaise and good luck to him. 

Yeah, I'd be surprised if Blaise didn't start on Saturday; BF has likely signed him as a straight replacement for Gilmour. 

I expect we are still waiting to see if we get Henderson back. Even if we didn't IMO the squad is still good enough to win enough games to move clear of the relegation area. Trouts and Scougall being fit is vital in that respect. The former's cameo against Celtic gave us a reminder of that. 

Totally agree- I think Henderson is key- if we can get him back then the squad should be capable of moving up the table. Theres no point in just bringing in bodies for the sake of it and the predicted BF revolving door thankfully hasnt occurred here. Hopefully Trouten can hit the ground running in the second half of the season to make up for lost time.

Although I've found the Raith guys judge of a player fine in the past, its a bit disturbing that I can see the new guy written off as "dross" before hes even kicked a ball for the club. 

Like Waspie says, give Sena and Robbo a proper run in centre midfield- the managers preferred shape suggests the new guy will come in there alongside them.

After last weekend Im actually quite positive about Saturday- I hope that good feeling bears dividends. But theres no doubt that the next 2 fixtures are make or break and we should be looking to pick up at least 4 points from the games against Clyde and Peterhead.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Glad to see we aren’t lying down to the SFA, Alloa have employed a refereeing consultant from England who was an ex Grade.1 UEFA official and top Legal representation to fight this . Hopefully this isn't a done deal. Parking the tanks on the SFA lawn.

8 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I've watched some of his match actions through clips. Saw some outrageous passes. You don't really gauge a players' fitness in highlight form though so I'm still cautiously optimistic.

I assume you are still discussing BRS here. In the first few matches, he showed some pinpoint accuracy and had a couple of sweet attempts just barely blocked by defenders last ditch lunges that would have sprung our forward clear. After that we played him as more of a holding or DM, and he’s play seemed to diminish. If you play him as more of an AM, you will likely have more success than we did, but he is, well, deliberate rather than gazelle like.

10 hours ago, nugs said:

Nicky Jamieson signed a contract at Stenhousemuir. I take it we released him

He has been a standout for them in a poor season overall. A work colleague told me . Out of the three ex wasps he has been excellent

3 hours ago, Oweny said:

He has been a standout for them in a poor season overall. A work colleague told me . Out of the three ex wasps he has been excellent

Definitely a better option at CB than Mendy. Andy Graham obviously rated him too since he was given a new deal in May before Ferguson arrived. 

I thought last week showed once more that what remains of the spine of our old team is still easily our best option: Taggart, Graham, Robertson, Cawley, Trouten and Scougall. Get the best of the Ferguson signings around that nucleus, ie Durnan, Sena, Boyd (and Sammon I believe can do a job) and we would be nowhere near the bottom of the league. This should have been the plan from the start, all we really needed was a good LB, a good DM, and two strikers, one with pace and one a more direct option. Ferguson actually pretty much said this in his initial interviews, but clearly didn't actually intend to do it at all as he then brought in loads of random signings. A lot of time and money has been wasted. I don't think he will ever be a good manager but we can still avoid a relegation battle at least by going back to what we know works. 

No league win since oct 30, five points from a possible 23 since
no league clean sheet since sep 18
8th in table, level with second bottom and eighth points off play off spot
beaten three times by clyde this season

Something needs to change, Ferguson making all the wrong calls.

Hutton in for Parry.
Cawley sub today when scrougall was off the pace and Boyd was not pulling up the trees either.

I also thought the Cawley sub was weird, I was sure Boyd would be the one making way. O'Donnell did make us better when he came on to be fair.

New guy looked okay in the middle- not perfect but did a lot more good than bad. Other than that, we created tons of chances second half but just couldn't score. The writing was on the wall that Clyde would go up the park and pick us off. I missed our goal but absolutely pointless finding the net really after the killer second goal. 

Could have been a different outcome had we scored one of those early second half chances, but we are deep in the mire now.