The Alloa Athletic Thread

12 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Hugh Keevins told me we will be in League 2 next season and I'm being called a Rangers fan on twitter. Silly season.

Is it not always silly season on Twitter, mate? 😉

12 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Take the siege mentality, whatever tactics you want, into Clyde and we have to come away with nothing less than a win. Hopefully a few bodies in by then too. 

And a few Clyde bodies hopefully "taken" by big Sena. Amirite?

1 minute ago, Vegetableman said:

I forgot about the Gordon / Spence challenge   

Different rules for the big teams  it seems , a perfect example of this .

Did you read the article? It's a ref explaining why, according to the laws of the game, Gordon wasn't sent off.

Just now, printer said:

Did you read the article? It's a ref explaining why, according to the laws of the game, Gordon wasn't sent off.

No,  i saw the header pic on the twitter page .

i am no ref , the opinion of some then was that he should have gone 

probably the same pundits who thought sena should go mind you .

Its Sena not Senna i am sure  .

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

i am no ref , the opinion of some then was that he should have gone 

probably the same pundits who thought sena should go mind you .

Sorry, does "then" refer to refs or pundits?

Edited by printer

2 hours ago, printer said:

The point I was making was If Gordon's is a yellow then certainly Sena's is a yellow.

While Sena's was rightly regarded as reckless because he stood on Ideguchi's ankle, a flying straight-legged stud to the ribs is hardly a necessary use of force or safe for Spence.

If Sena was sent off last night I think it would be fairly likely we get beat 2-0, there's no change in result, if Gordon got sent off we'd have had 10 opponents for a long period at 0-0. Fascinating to see how the media pick and choose what to create uproar over.

Forget the pudits.

I'm a Celtic supporter in Western MA, US. I was impressed with the way Alloa brought the fight to us.

Injury's are part or the game. That said it was no a good challenge from King on McGregor, both could have been hurt.

I'll be following the rest of the Wasp's season. It's fun to watch a team that plays like they mean it. 

Should be a good game against Clyde on Saturday.

He will get the ban, I'd be surprised if the 3 man committee would stand up to the media and the potential old firm bias accusations. If the Celtic player had tried to tackle and win the ball rather than planting his foot this wouldn't even be a conversation.

3 hours ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:
4 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

He will get the ban, I'd be surprised if the 3 man committee would stand up to the media and the potential old firm bias accusations. If the Celtic player had tried to tackle and win the ball rather than planting his foot this wouldn't even be a conversation.

Exactly, see that buffoon of a Celtic manager is now saying the ref lost control of the game and that he told his players “ to stop tackling at the latter stages of the game”, absolutely bizarre comments. We all know Sena will get the ban, MSM have seen to that, you do wonder why they are so determined to go after little Alloa though, it’s not if it will affect Celtic in anyway whether he is banned or not. 

Looks like Sena will have to take the ban, but let's not pretend it's due to anything other than the fact it was against Celtic and a by product of all the hullabaloo and tears in the fallout to the game.

Charlie Gilmour arguably got away with a worse one against Queens Park earlier in the season with no repercussion. I don't recall any Queens Park fans flooding social media in the aftermath with gifs of all the bad decisions that particular referee had given against them in the past 😆. Thank god we don't live this on a regular basis. It's always enjoyable to see Alloa testing themselves against bigger clubs but dealing with scores of utter moon howlers is something I'm glad doesn't happen often.

I really hate the idea of a retrospective red card for what was, purely, a challenge. Fair enough if he's skelped someone around the head and the ref has missed it, but the referee has decided, in the moment, it's a yellow. The fact that there's still debate about it afterwards shows that it clearly wasn't a stick-on straight red.

What does a retrospective ban achieve exactly? It doesn't help Celtic at all. It has no impact on a game that finished on Saturday night. It doesn't help Ideguchi. And it's not going to make Sena think about how he acted...because all he did was challenge for the ball and mistime it.

As you say @Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) other challenges worse than this will go in and go unpunished because they weren't in as high profile games. And that's not how it should be.

18 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I really hate the idea of a retrospective red card for what was, purely, a challenge. Fair enough if he's skelped someone around the head and the ref has missed it, but the referee has decided, in the moment, it's a yellow. The fact that there's still debate about it afterwards shows that it clearly wasn't a stick-on straight red.

What does a retrospective ban achieve exactly? It doesn't help Celtic at all. It has no impact on a game that finished on Saturday night. It doesn't help Ideguchi. And it's not going to make Sena think about how he acted...because all he did was challenge for the ball and mistime it.

As you say @Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) other challenges worse than this will go in and go unpunished because they weren't in as high profile games. And that's not how it should be.

Good post, Jan, but I would argue that Sena timed the challenge perfectly.

IMO this has been handled really poorly. Father Barrys.... first paragraph is absolutely spot on. Unfortunately this is the way things are now, decision makers (be it politicians, the SFA or whoever) knee jerkingly align to the loudest voices in social media rather than showing leadership and taking time to make the right decisions.

Ast he only remaining true member of the Old Firm, I had lots of respect for Celtic who managed to win games without the aid of the Penalty Fairy that watches over Kinning Park utd.

But after all the pish bring directed at Sena for an honest beefy tackle that the Celtic player crapped out of, I have lost all respect for them as a team.

Based on the greeting here, I'm glad they won the tie, who knows how bad things would have been had they lost😱

Surely the club will put  up a staunch defence of Sena for this Witchhunt   so called disciplinary review ?

getting sick of it all .. 

how dare we stand up to the old firm though , who do we think we are !  wee diddy team take your medicine  blah blah blah .

they can stick thier 2 horse race of a so called premier league right up thier wastepipe .

its as predictable as to bore the T*ts off you .

Edit

After checking the rules and reviewing sena's tackle i have changed my mind on my assumption that it should have been a red 

just to clear that up  🙂

Edited by Vegetableman