The Alloa Athletic Thread

I thought we played really well yesterday and Big Sammon had a good game and caused the Celtic defence real problems. 

I have been critical of Ferguson but if he can regularly get that level of performance from the team and add a quality replacement for Henderson we can hopefully improve our league position. 

As expected the shambolic sale of tickets caused issues yesterday, happens every time the Old Firm come to Alloa. Understand it is not easy but by all account tickets were being sold to people in Celtic tops and scarves, who were getting 3 or 4 tickets, no excuse for that. The tickets should have been sold individually at the QP game,  so if any Celtic fan wanted a ticket they would have to pay an additional £18 for the pleasure. Also there were people wearing Celtic scarves in our end. Together with the obvious groups of Celtic fans they should have been put out not moved, to discourage this happening again, we already had their money. 

Edited by Magic Hat

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

I thought we played really well yesterday and Big Sammon had a good game and caused the Celtic defence real problems. 

I have been critical of Ferguson but if he can regularly get that level of performance from the team and add a quality replacement for Henderson we can hopefully improve our league position. 

As expected the shambolic sale of tickets caused issues yesterday, happens every time the Old Firm come to Alloa. Understand it is not easy but by all account tickets were being sold to people in Celtic tops and scarves, who were getting 3 or 4 tickets, no excuse for that. The tickets should have been sold individually at the QP game,  so if any Celtic fan wanted a ticket they would have to pay an additional £18 for the pleasure. Also there were people wearing Celtic scarves in our end. Together with the obvious groups of Celtic fans they should have been put out not moved, to discourage this happening again, we already had their money. 

Just a note on this - E-tickets are the way forward. I can look at a spreadsheet and see who the regulars are and make accommodations for more than just season ticket holders. Also hospitality gets extended a lot of leeway.

And there's very little we can do to stop people selling the tickets they've bought which I know there was also a fair amount of. 

I was over at the Wasp Centre where Celtic were allocated changing rooms and there was plenty of community club kids in full Celtic gear waiting to see the players. We're not insulated from people following the biggest clubs in the country. 

Being honest, I was more shocked and disappointed with the behaviour and conduct of some of our So called fans yesterday. Some of the abuse and behaviours dished out were embarrassing and some really need to have a look at themselves. We are getting a shit reputation elsewhere. 

It was obvious that a later kick off had certainly had an effect and standing with my young daughter, felt ashamed having her listen to the dross getting aired.  

7 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Just a note on this - E-tickets are the way forward. I can look at a spreadsheet and see who the regulars are and make accommodations for more than just season ticket holders. Also hospitality gets extended a lot of leeway.

And there's very little we can do to stop people selling the tickets they've bought which I know there was also a fair amount of.

The e-tickets do seem like a step forward but the other points all stand.

Sell cup tickets at home league games, don't sell tickets to obvious away fans and throw out away fans who are singing songs or wearing old firm colours. 

Not saying these measures would have stopped there being issues but they would have certainly helped. 

100% agree Owen, that you should be able to stand with your daughter and watch the football safely and without that rubbish. We were standing with someone who had two youngsters with him and had to move as it looked like it was going to kick off.

Unfortunately when one of the bigot brothers are in town it is always going to see distasteful scenes like yesterday. 

Sena should have been sent off. I didn't think so at the time but watching it back it was a red. However, there was a tackle on Sena in our highlights (at the end) that looked very similar and hasn't been mentioned anywhere. And despite almost 80/20 possession in their favour, Celtic committed more fouls than Alloa. 

Edited by Waspie

13 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Senna should have been sent off. I didn't think so at the time but watching it back it was a red. However, there was a tackle on Senna in our highlights (at the end) that looked very similar and hasn't been mentioned anywhere. And despite almost 80/20 possession in their favour, Celtic committed more fouls than Alloa. 

If these kind of tackles are going to be classed as red cards or even yellow cards  then im afraid were coming pretty close to becoming a contactless sport, sennas went into the tackle expecting a 50/50 but  the boy has pulled and didn't fancy it, After winning the ball senna has no control over his momentum and unfortunately catches the boy, The fact he wins  the ball so cleanly and wasnt over the ball for me makes its a great tackle, never a yellow never mind a red

6 minutes ago, Wee wasp said:

If these kind of tackles are going to be classed as red cards or even yellow cards  then im afraid were coming pretty close to becoming a contactless sport, sennas went into the tackle expecting a 50/50 but  the boy has pulled and didn't fancy it, After winning the ball senna has no control over his momentum and unfortunately catches the boy, The fact he wins  the ball so cleanly and wasnt over the ball for me makes its a great tackle, never a yellow never mind a red

Wow mate! It was a horrendous tackle. 2 lucky boys, 1 not sent off and 1 not with a broken ankle. 

18 hours ago, Wee wasp said:

You say yourself he had no control. Excessive force and endangering an opponent is a red card offence. There was a time when it would been a good tackle but it's a clear red card now, you just can't fly into a challenge like that. I thought Sena was terrific on Saturday and he has loads of potential but he needs to work on his tackling. 

I would say the tackle on him near the end was also dangerous. 

Edited by Waspie

21 minutes ago, Waspie said:

You say yourself he had no control. Excessive force and endangering an opponent is a red card offence. There was a time when it would been a good tackle but it's a clear red card now, you just can't fly into a challenge like that. I thought Senna was terrific on Saturday and he has loads of potential but he needs to work on his tackling. 

I would say the tackle on him near the end was also dangerous. 

Take what Foster says with a pinch of salt but he's right that Ideguchi puts himself in the worst position.

If Sena hadn't landed on his ankle it would have been fair enough. When I saw where he made contact on the TV that's what swings it I reckon. 

Not to downplay it either but what a game Sena had. From the first minute to the last getting the challenges in.

Edit: Also Callum McGregor jumping face-first into one of our players was his own stupidity and Liel Abada was an innocuous standing on the foot. 

Edited by LeodhasXD

The team are getting absolute pelters on Clyde 1  tonight , hammer throwers , primitive football , 

Crossed the line of physical and violent play , no wonder we are 8th ect 

so much for "liquid football" we were known for being a team who played neat football , not any more ,

5 sending offs certainly feeds the detractors all they need , Apart from the Sena tackle i didnt see much else that was over the top . Sena deserved to go off though .  

So is this all down to the tactics of the management ? we didn,t win many friends after saturday that is for sure ,  a lot of that due to who we are managed by to a fair extent ? .

10 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

The team are getting absolute pelters on Clyde 1  tonight , hammer throwers , primitive football , 

so much for "liquid football" we were known for being a team who played neat football , not any more ,

5 sending offs certainly feeds the detractors all they need , Apart from the Sena tackle i didnt see much else that was over the top . Sena deserved to go off though .  

So is this all down to the tactics of the management ? we didn,t win many friends after saturday that is for sure ,  a lot of that due to who we are managed by to a fair extent ? .

We executed a defensive game plan against Celtic almost to great success with a single bad challenge in the 90 minutes. Don't get hung up on it that the perma raging arse cheeks are out to talk down to everyone.

Having your entire personality defined by how a football club is performing is a cringeworthy trait.

Edited by LeodhasXD

Just now, LeodhasXD said:

The guys who are frothing at the mouth on SSB

Get you now , no one is hung up here though,

"The no one likes us we don't care " though on the other hand

is for other team/teams to boast about .

Ultimately there is a narrative now that we were overly physical and even though it doesn't stand up to the slightest scrutiny, those pushing it won't care. The OF circus will move onto something else quickly enough anyway. 

I thought we did play the best bit of football of the match in the build up to our goal. Trouts was class as soon as he was on. We need to get back to that style over the next few weeks.

22 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Get you now , no one is hung up here though,

"The no one likes us we don't care " though on the other hand

is for other team/teams to boast about .

Also on the sending's off Sena caught Logan late fair enough red card against Cove, but beyond that it's all been second yellows - it's not been massively over aggressive just indisciplined.

44 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Wouldn’t pay too much attention to the moonhowlers on Clyde. The always “neutral “ Hugh Keevins was slating Rangers last week for the audacity to question Clancy’s refereeing but this week is questioning if Saturday’s ref has to quote him “an agenda with Celtic” which needs to be looked at.

As for the game itself, are we just meant to sit back and applaud them as they run rings around us? The only chance we had was to be aggressive and in their faces, yes Sena could have been a red but the Celtic player shat out the challenge and made it worst than it should have been. The McGregor incident was accidental and as others have said the other injury was innocuous, the whole thing seems to be have stoked up by the MSM, in my opinion I don’t thing across the whole football spectrum has Saturdays performance damaged our reputation in any way. We gave them a better game than many in the SPL this season.