The Alloa Athletic Thread

Imagine if we had appointed say an Andy Graham , Alan Trouten or Paddy Connolly in the summer or someone else and they went on a wretched run winning just 5 games out of 19 , getting knocked out the league cup by a non league outfit, do you honestly think they would still be in a job? 

Its got to be Barry's high profile and glittering career at the top end of football that's keeping him in his post. The old saying that football is a results business seems not to apply here. 

Management is a totally different game. He won't be the first great player that has failed as a manager and he won't be the last. I know he had a caretaker spell at Blackpool briefly but in fairness, league 1 with Alloa is the highest Barry Ferguson has managed at on a permanent basis .

He's getting his tight trousers well and truly pulled down at this level. Teams have got us totally sussed out . It's only going to get worse. 

What players worth their salt are going to want to come to alloa for a relegation battle or to work under this management team, 

I also  didn't see any Kelty fans sad or making any fuss that he had left them either and thats just after winning promotion.

Barry will still be here until he decides he's had enough.

24 minutes ago, Wee wasp said:

What players worth their salt are going to want to come to alloa for a relegation battle or to work under this management team, 

I also  didn't see any Kelty fans sad or making any fuss that he had left them either and thats just after winning promotion.

Barry will still be here until he decides he's had enough.

He may well be but I doubt some of the diehard fans will be. Let's see how the chairman reacts when the revenue coming through the turnstiles starts dropping

24 minutes ago, Newbigging pen said:

He may well be but I doubt some of the diehard fans will be. Let's see how the chairman reacts when the revenue coming through the turnstiles starts dropping

Especially at £18 a pop to watch a dross manager and the dross served up on the park. (Sorry guys still hurting and lighter in the pocket).

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

I would suggest you give him hell every game, let him know exactly how shite you think he is. He is so petulant and up himself that he will react and make a tit of himself, maybe enough to lead to him leaving. Bob Malcolm is the same, utter clowns. I’m amazed he got a gig at this level, all the same flaws as his time at Clyde being mentioned by the posters on here. Only reason he succeeded at kelty is financial muscle.

48 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Happy to give you back a fiver for the sake of your mental wellbeing mate.

Thats very kind of you in the season of good will to all mankind. I would be delighted if you would donate it to a well deserving charity in your area.

Thanks very much.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

20 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

I would suggest you give him hell every game, let him know exactly how shite you think he is. He is so petulant and up himself that he will react and make a tit of himself, maybe enough to lead to him leaving. Bob Malcolm is the same, utter clowns. I’m amazed he got a gig at this level, all the same flaws as his time at Clyde being mentioned by the posters on here. Only reason he succeeded at kelty is financial muscle.

It also worked for us with Bomber Brown and Jim Chapman, it’s a proven tactic that seems to work with a certain type of person. Awkward questions from the club website also works, but I suppose it depends if interviews actually take place for that to work. “Stick that on your effing website” as someone once said!

5 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

That had crossed my mind , but i am not the loud shouty type you see , would a banner work ?

8b0b844a4f5d35d2519c50b5205bb12d.jpg

Once more, I find myself agreeing with the majority of what@Waspie and@Oweny have written regarding Barry Ferguson - a lot of which has been echoed by others.

However, one of the most telling things for me is that there are absolutely no posters who think that, not only is he not up to the task, but there is no corner to be turned any time soon. There's no hope, no light at the end of the tunnel, no allowances that are being made for any possible extenuating circumstances that are contributing to our rapid downfall. That's because there are none.
There's no blame to be attached anywhere other than at the door of our 'manager'.

As has been said too, Mike Mulraney has to shoulder his part in all of this.
From mainly managing to choose potential, which was realised, he has got this one spectacularly wrong. I don't know what he saw that no one else in a higher league didn't. We all know that winning the Lowland League with Kelty wasn't exactly an earth-shattering achievement.
Is Mulraney big and brave enough to sack an ex Scotland captain from, relatively, lowly Alloa?

Our manager seems to have no redeeming features. He's universally disliked by supporters of Clyde, wasn't mourned at leaving by supporters of Kelty and appears to treat people who can only dream of being where he has been professionally with utter disdain and contempt.
If these attitudes and approach were getting decent results, then he would be cut some slack. They're not, and he isn't. Deservedly so.

We have certainly been spoiled in recent times by reaching and staying in, for us, the heady heights of the Championship.
I wouldn't dare to suggest that's where we belong. We don't. What I will suggest is that neither do we belong where we appear to be headed. But we may ultimately deserve to end up relegated.

I think Barry Ferguson will desperately want to manage a team against Celtic. I also think that the chairman will let him. All of this being to the detriment of our league position and the prospect of doing anything other than fighting to stay in this division.

For any chance at making the promotion play-offs, the manager needs gone. And for me, the sooner the better.

I know this is a bit of a read, and for that I apologise. But believe me I'm not even getting angry writing this. Where we are, how we are and with no prospect of getting better quickly, all I feel regarding Alloa just now are low expectations and an ever increasing acceptance of the position we're in. I'm genuinely nonplussed by the whole debacle.
The answer that the chairman has to find is pretty evident. He has to realise that and act upon it soon. Before it is too late.

We will be playing in League two next year,i now have no doubts.I never thought we'd ever be in such a lowly position again,but there you go.We have the worst manager i can remember at Alloa,we've had other poor managers,but Ferguson is the worst i'm sure.I've supported the club for over fifty years,and this year i find myself being the angriest i have ever been.But now i just don't care.My son has lost all interest in the team and has decided there are better things to do on a cold wet Saturday.A while back some on here said that protesting at games was futile and would affect the players,are you sure? because i don't think a bit of protesting could make them play any worse.For my part,i will make my own pathetic small protest by handing back my season ticket in person,at the next home game i can make ( can't make the Falkirk game),it may be futile,pathetic and costly,but i refuse to accept the current situation as things stand.While Barry Ferguson is manager i will not be attending games,and to be honest i don't care about the results on a Saturday now as others have also admitted,i just care about how it has come to this.If others find this wrong or a useless gesture,fine i've got broad shoulders,and i'm being honest with myself about how i feel,and it won't mean i don't love the club i've followed my entire life.

Edited by Alloa 68

Over the past 10+ years Mike Mulraney has been good for this club but his inability to see the awful job Ferguson is doing is worrying. 

I feel that Mulraney's ego and publicity for the club generated by the Barry Ferguson v Celtic cup game means there is virtually no chance he will be sacked before the end of January. 

Agree he is probably one of if not the worst manager we have ever had and certainly the most hated. 

Edited by Magic Hat

2 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

Over the past 10+ years Mike Mulraney has been good for this club but his inability to see the awful job Ferguson is doing is worrying. 

I feel that Mulraney's ego and publicity for the club generated by the Barry Ferguson v Celtic cup game means there is virtually no chance he will be sacked before the end of January. 

Agree he is probably one of if not the worst manager we have ever had and certainly the most hated. 

He would possibly have got a bit more sympathy from the support had he been in any way likeable, but he is even more obnoxious than I feared he would be. 

Mike has never been one to bother about fan's opinions, but this is without doubt the biggest mistake he has made. To give that clown longer and the January transfer window will put us back to where we were after Maitland left.

15 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Hmm i don't know , Willie Garner might have been slightly worse .

billy little

Pat McAuley

Willie Garner before my time but Billy Little inherited a tough situation late in the season and didn't have much time. Pat McAuley's team was shite but his star signings were from Camelon and Whitburn.  We got what we paid for. 

Ferguson on the other hand inherited a core of excellent, proven part-time players and a cracking budget to add to them. 

Edited by Waspie

It’s hard to argue with the points being made the last couple of days. We are in a worrying position, and but for a few late goals by Henderson at Queens Park and Falkirk, it would be looking even more perilous. 

I think we are generally good as a fan base at not rounding on the players (I’ve certainly criticised a few this season, Sammon, Church and King) but they are definitely better than where they are currently. I think most would agree that appears to stem from the manager though - he isn’t a motivator or a people person. 

In all honesty, I genuinely believe you could pick a random punter from the crowd to manage this team and they would not get any less out of the players than Ferguson is getting just now - that is a damning indictment of his managerial capabilities.