The Alloa Athletic Thread

A great draw and as alluded to, much better than the usual Ross County or Livingston away . 

Hopefully this will give everyone a boost and we start picking up momentum in in our league campaign. 

I was at the August 1982 fixture and from memory the usual rock solid Donald Hunter in the Alloa goals had a night to forget. I remember  Drew Paterson tearing Celtic full back  Mark Reid apart and Mcgrain going over to left back to try to keep him quiet. Stuart Munro missed a penalty for us .  Celtic were keen on Paterson however he suffered a horrific injury in the return game in Glasgow . Terrific Alloa player . 

Something to look forward to in January

8 hours ago, bravehearts dad said:

You can give the away team 100% of the match tickets cos the home fans won’t pay an inflated price for a match ticket.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

Mate, you've had your day in the limelight and it didn't turn out well.

Now away and take the family to the next away day in the lowland league and have a great time at half the price. 🍕🍦🍭🧋

15 minutes ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Mate, you've had your day in the limelight and it didn't turn out well.

Now away and take the family to the next away day in the lowland league and have a great time at half the price. 🍕🍦🍭🧋

Surely folk aren't paying £9 to see their team get bodied by Celtgers Reserves  :blink:

Damned cheek having a go at us IMO.

22 hours ago, Oweny said:

A great draw and as alluded to, much better than the usual Ross County or Livingston away . 

Hopefully this will give everyone a boost and we start picking up momentum in in our league campaign. 

I was at the August 1982 fixture and from memory the usual rock solid Donald Hunter in the Alloa goals had a night to forget. I remember  Drew Paterson tearing Celtic full back  Mark Reid apart and Mcgrain going over to left back to try to keep him quiet. Stuart Munro missed a penalty for us .  Celtic were keen on Paterson however he suffered a horrific injury in the return game in Glasgow . Terrific Alloa player . 

Something to look forward to in January

Drew Paterson tore most left backs he faced apart. ☺

I think I remember being surprised that Stuart Munro took the penalty, can't remember who I was expecting to take it though. Think Robert Gray (?) scored a pen in the reverse fixture. 

3 hours ago, printer said:

Drew Paterson tore most left backs he faced apart. ☺

I think I remember being surprised that Stuart Munro took the penalty, can't remember who I was expecting to take it though. Think Robert Gray (?) scored a pen in the reverse fixture. 

Correct. Right before half time to make it 1 1.

Think Celtic missed a penalty but made it 2 1. Couple of late goals put some gloss on the score.

Came from a huge jambo at my work so doesn't necessarily make it true, but I heard Hearts want him back in January. They are struggling to get goals out of their strikers recently, and Henderson would be their impact option from the bench.

With the little service he got, I thought he looked dangerous today, some really good touches and of course got the goal. There might be problems in the team right now, but he's done the business for us in his loan spell. Plenty potential there.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Would be a disaster for us if he does go back in January, even with the window being open it would take a hell of a signing to match what he has done for us so far. 

For me, the only downsides I see to him are he is pretty lazy and doesn’t win anything in the air - outside that he looks a real prospect. Guy is frightening when he gets 1 on 1 with a defender and looks like making something happen every time he gets the ball going forward. No doubt he knows where the goal is as well. 

Honestly think we would actually get even more out of him with someone up top with him, even if that’s Sammon. Would love to see him up there with someone to win flick ons for him to chase on to with the pace he’s got. 

The  alloa midfield is really poor for me nowhere near enough creative ability in there, the 2 creative players are stuck out wide making little impact in the game , the amount of times Hendo was coming off the defender and wanting the ball into feet and not getting it was frustrating, Gilmore and king just didn't see it and just seem to want to go backwards, I would have brought cawley more central  n took king or senna off and put boyd on earlier but as usual its throw sammon on at the end hoping to get on the end of something 

11 minutes ago, Wee wasp said:

The  alloa midfield is really poor for me nowhere near enough creative ability in there, the 2 creative players are stuck out wide making little impact in the game , the amount of times Hendo was coming off the defender and wanting the ball into feet and not getting it was frustrating, Gilmore and king just didn't see it and just seem to want to go backwards, I would have brought cawley more central  n took king or senna off and put boyd on earlier but as usual its throw sammon on at the end hoping to get on the end of something 

Absolutely spot on. 

Have no problem going with a more defensively minded central midfield against the likes of Cove and Queens Park, but there’s no excuse for it against the likes of East Fife today. 

Said on the match thread I’d be getting O’Donnell in there for a run of games to try and create something. 

King is a complete passenger in games. 

49 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Came from a huge jambo at my work so doesn't necessarily make it true, but I heard Hearts want him back in January. They are struggling to get goals out of their strikers recently, and Henderson would be their impact option from the bench.

With the little service he got, I thought he looked dangerous today, some really good touches and of course got the goal. There might be problems in the team right now, but he's done the business for us in his loan spell. Plenty potential there.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

20 points at this stage is a pretty poor return for the money spent adding to what was already a good nucleus, but without Henderson's goals our situation would be a good bit worse. He has contributed greatly to papering over the cracks and if he does go back to Hearts next month then the manager is going to have his work cut out finding a replacement. 

We have no enforcers or villains in that team just now. Over the time watching Alloa we had bam’s like spider , McCord, Simmons, Herrington, Goodwin and never got the red cards like those idiots are getting just now . A great footballer Gary Thompson who was an absolute assassin but rarely seen red.

29 minutes ago, Redwedge77 said:

We have no enforcers or villains in that team just now. Over the time watching Alloa we had bam’s like spider , McCord, Simmons, Herrington, Goodwin and never got the red cards like those idiots are getting just now . A great footballer Gary Thompson who was an absolute assassin but rarely seen red.

Gary thompson was a mobile brick wall , we could do with one like him but with the way we are playing just now a lot of good players are looking bland .

10 hours ago, Redwedge77 said:

A great footballer Gary Thompson who was an absolute assassin but rarely seen red.

I used to love watching Gary play. I remember the manager picking him at right back against Falkirk and Arthur Grant at the Recs. I feared a roasting for him, we all knew what a quality winger wee Grant was and Gary was a  midfielder. First time Arthur got the ball he turned back and passed the ball, then with perfect timing just after the ref had looked away, Gary gives him a right sore kick on the knee. Didn't want to know all game after that.

11 hours ago, Redwedge77 said:

Bring back Spider or Billy Paxton.

16 hours ago, Waspie said:

20 points at this stage is a pretty poor return for the money spent adding to what was already a good nucleus, but without Henderson's goals our situation would be a good bit worse. He has contributed greatly to papering over the cracks and if he does go back to Hearts next month then the manager is going to have his work cut out finding a replacement. 

Indeed and I don't think he will get a like for like replacement, someone who will score a goal a game, with several of those strikes being individual efforts. 

Barry could, however, bring in a player who holds the ball up and links play to bring the other talented attacking players we have into the game in dangerous situations,  helping make up for the missing goals that way.

Of course that also means organising the team, and I'm including the entire midfield here, to facilitate those players (Trouts, Kev, Boyd, Scougall and, even, Sena) doing that but, as several have pointed out, that isn't happening consistently at the moment. 

On 30/11/2021 at 13:15, LeodhasXD said:

Just think if you could have managed at least a shot on target against us you might have drawn Celtic 🥲

They seem to only be able to do maybes and almosts. Almost lowland league champions twice in a row, and maybe we would have won the lowland league twice in a row if it wasn’t for covid.