The Alloa Athletic Thread

You'd hope the supermarkets are smart enough to realise that, for all the extra cars in their parking lots (that are never full anyway) on match day, there will be a percentage of folk who'll decide to do a bit of quick shopping on the way home that they would have done elsewhere if Morrisons/Lidl weren't so close.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

You'd hope the supermarkets are smart enough to realise that, for all the extra cars in their parking lots (that are never full anyway) on match day, there will be a percentage of folk who'll decide to do a bit of quick shopping on the way home that they would have done elsewhere if Morrisons/Lidl weren't so close.

To be honest I used to work in Lidl in alloa and their wasn't that many people came in. The Friday night games was when you mostly got people from Alloa games.

4 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

To be honest I used to work in Lidl in alloa and their wasn't that many people came in. The Friday night games was when you mostly got people from Alloa games.

Weird. You'd think the later kick-off would make people keener to go straight home and/or to the pub.

22 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I think with it being at night people would come in for a snack they'd come in before or after for bakery or just sweets or crisps or juice

I'm on a diet, so thanks for reminding me about Lidl's lovely bakery, you b*****d  :P

23 minutes ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

We haven't missed a game, home or away, this season but charging £18 for this Saturday's game is testing my dedication, and my finances. We are supporters and will be there but it does nothing to entice other people to the game, especially how poor the football and atmosphere has been.

Giving it a miss due to expectations and crazy entry  price 

We haven't missed a game, home or away, this season but charging £18 for this Saturday's game is testing my dedication, and my finances. We are supporters and will be there but it does nothing to entice other people to the game, especially how poor the football and atmosphere has been.
I will also be giving it a miss. £18 is a ridiculous price for a team from the lowland league. This is no disrespect to Bonnyrigg who may well beat us anyway.

I see your esteemed manager has been on the radio again, talking about being “angry and frustrated” about Rangers performance. Unacceptable conduct from a manager of another SPFL club. I couldn’t go and watch and support a club managed by that c**t, must be unbearable.

11 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I see your esteemed manager has been on the radio again, talking about being “angry and frustrated” about Rangers performance. Unacceptable conduct from a manager of another SPFL club. I couldn’t go and watch and support a club managed by that c**t, must be unbearable.

It is. 

17 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Yeah, I'd just been sent a link to an article based on that interview and it's such a shitty look for him to be talking about how angry he is it Rangers' performance when he should be concerned about the performance that we put in on Saturday. I've not been shouting for him to go yet, as I think there have been some plus points such as the game against Queens Park, but that sort of article does him no favours at all. TBH I think it's probably best for all concerned if he goes, but I suspect he's here until the end of the season at least.

1 minute ago, Dink said:

Yeah, I'd just been sent a link to an article based on that interview and it's such a shitty look for him to be talking about how angry he is it Rangers' performance when he should be concerned about the performance that we put in on Saturday. I've not been shouting for him to go yet, as I think there have been some plus points such as the game against Queens Park, but that sort of article does him no favours at all. TBH I think it's probably best for all concerned if he goes, but I suspect he's here until the end of the season at least.

TBF, even if it was never explicitly discussed, I'm sure our board understood that BF's day job is being a media commentator on/for The Rangers. It does still make me wonder why they thought he was the man for the job, however. The only positive, from the board's view, that I can think of is that they maybe hoped he'd bring out the local The Rangers fans and increase attendances.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

TBF, even if it was never explicitly discussed, I'm sure our board understood that BF's day job is being a media commentator on/for The Rangers. It does still make me wonder why they thought he was the man for the job, however. The only positive, from the board's view, that I can think of is that they maybe hoped he'd bring out the local The Rangers fans and increase attendances.

Yeah, and I don't have a problem with him commenting on Rangers, I don't particularly like it but as you say Mulraney would have accepted that from day one. Rather it's the tone of his media pieces where he comes across as more concerned about Rangers' performances than ours. Obviously that is the way the media game works in large part, but it makes it no less galling to read those sorts of articles on the back of what was probably our worst performance of the league season.

I've said this before but our job is only part-time. There needs to be perspective.

While we have been spoiled in the past by managers who devoted every waking hour to the job, Jim Goodwin, for example was famously the sweetie man and there were many occasions you couldn't catch him due to his day job. It made the programme a particular issue to produce. 

Barry has his day job as a pundit.  That's got its advantages that you can live and breathe football as opposed to being something that's quiet but equally as time consuming. I imagine there's probably an advantage in who you rub shoulders with with the other managers and ex-players going about in the media.

Yeah, and I don't have a problem with him commenting on Rangers, I don't particularly like it but as you say Mulraney would have accepted that from day one. Rather it's the tone of his media pieces where he comes across as more concerned about Rangers' performances than ours. Obviously that is the way the media game works in large part, but it makes it no less galling to read those sorts of articles on the back of what was probably our worst performance of the league season.

And also the fact he didn’t even do the press questions after the game on Saturday, Paddy Connolly did it! Doesn’t have time to talk about how we were rotten on Saturday but has plenty time to talk about his anger at rangers performance, just wrong for me.

I've said this before but our job is only part-time. There needs to be perspective.

While we have been spoiled in the past by managers who devoted every waking hour to the job, Jim Goodwin, for example was famously the sweetie man and there were many occasions you couldn't catch him due to his day job. It made the programme a particular issue to produce. 

Barry has his day job as a pundit.  That's got its advantages that you can live and breathe football as opposed to being something that's quiet but equally as time consuming. I imagine there's probably an advantage in who you rub shoulders with with the other managers and ex-players going about in the media.

Has he spoken to you regards sorting out post match interviews, as he promised to the fans.

975ab965199585c6f5efc7070cce7bde.jpg

I’m sure it’s always been there but in the modern era of social media and the like, we just have to accept players talking about their former team (usually one of the cheeks).

Can you imagine the entitled rage if Ryan Christie consistently took the time out to sit on the radio for hours talking about Inverness while making an arse of things at Celtic?