The Alloa Athletic Thread

Gets plenty of criticism, from myself as well, so feel it's only fair to give him praise but when Mendy plays like that he is unplayable. He's erratic and all over the shop positionally a lot but today he won every header and blocked every shot, a terrific performance from him and our motm by a mile.

1 hour ago, AlloaAdam said:

Gets plenty of criticism, from myself as well, so feel it's only fair to give him praise but when Mendy plays like that he is unplayable. He's erratic and all over the shop positionally a lot but today he won every header and blocked every shot, a terrific performance from him and our motm by a mile.

he had a good day so credit where credit is due , sad to see big Andy graham is not even on the bench now ,looks like he will be away soon 😞

This is a first though ?  

Edited by Vegetableman

1 hour ago, AlloaAdam said:

He played well enough today against a pretty inept forward line. He's eratic and all over the shop sums him up perfectly. 

11 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

he had a good day so credit where credit is due , sad to see big Andy graham is not even on the bench now ,looks like he will be away soon 😞

This is a first though ?  

Just because I happened to be leaving as he gave interviews to the press. Missed the opening question about the equalising goal and I assume the red hot form of Henderson.

Cut the yellow card talk out but tldr he punched a ball after a foul wasn't given on Boyd and the referee is allergic to anyone being passionate.

16 hours ago, AlloaAdam said:

Fair to say he played well yesterday. Still in ‘debit’ performance wise and one swallow doesn’t make a summer, he needs to be performing like that more often than not. 

No easy games certainly, but with the run of home games coming up, feels like this is a really crucial 5 or so weeks. 

Real chance of extending the unbeaten run through to the Cove away game, and if we managed that, could see us probably sitting around 3rd in the league. 

Kind of feel it’s a make or break kind of month or so coming up. 

the whole rest of season is crucial ,no point in winning 4 out of 3 then losing the next 3

but going by our results against the higher placed (better ) teams we are well worth a top 4

its the results against the lower teams that have mostly let us down

get 3 points on saturday then i think we can be more confident 

the top 6 is tighter than a gnat's chuff with everyone capable of beating the other .

No easy games certainly, but with the run of home games coming up, feels like this is a really crucial 5 or so weeks. 

Real chance of extending the unbeaten run through to the Cove away game, and if we managed that, could see us probably sitting around 3rd in the league. 

Kind of feel it’s a make or break kind of month or so coming up. 
I wrote something similar in the match programme for this Saturday. We've picked up 7 points from past 3 games in what looked like really tough fixtures on paper. That's repaired much of the damage caused by the home defeats to Cove and Peterhead. We now have a run of home games with East Fife away in amongst it. We need to make this count in terms of points on the board. No point picking up results against Falkirk and QP away if we lose our home games.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Got ourselves 2-0 up, albeit without playing all that well, with two terrific headers from Durnan. We looked pretty comfortable and not even under any real pressure but conceded a pretty cheap goal to let Montrose back into it, then another cheap goal at the end. Didn't think either side were great really but certainly two points dropped in the circumstances. 

I was just going to mention positively - We've not conceded many chances in a few games now. We're very rarely getting opened up and it is just scrappy set piece efforts that are worming their way in.

I feel like we are lacking a bit of imagination and execution but 4 games unbeaten now.

Not conceded many. Cheap goals from scrappy set piece efforts and our goals against column are why we are where we are. Glad it's cut throat with other teams and we are still in striking distance of play offs.

League positions now are probably a fair reflection of where all teams are at.

Midfield contained plenty of quality today but just didn't really get moving through the gears for any prolonged spell in the game.
Below par first half where Montrose were tidier on the ball in the middle of the park.
We were then excellent for about 15 minutes, scoring twice and overall far more creative.
We then sank deep to see it out and to be fair, it's worked in the past. But we just could not take the pressure off the back 4. We rode our luck too much, and paid the price.
I thought despite being starved of real service, some of Hendersons touches were really good and always looked a real threat.
Obviously feels like 2 points dropped, but could probably say Montrose merited a point.

Maybe a bit against the grain, but I actually thought we played pretty well today, against a good Montrose side, until probably the last 20 minutes when we sat far far too deep. 

Think a lot needs to be said for the deliveries in for Durnan today, they were there for him to attack, yet far enough out that it took the keeper out of it. Considering the size of Quinn marking Durnan, he did a great job rising to both of them.

That 15 minute spell when we were on top was great to watch and it would have been game over but for an outstanding save by Lennox when Boyd cut inside and shot. He had another good save down low from a Boyd free kick as well.

As much as I've slated him all season, I felt the game was crying out for someone like Adam King to come on and put his foot on the ball. When we dropped deeper, and started bringing Henderson back at corners, we had no outlet and were just inviting wave after wave on to us.

No doubt its pretty criminal to draw from being 2 up at home in the second half. I suppose the 2 rays of light are we remain on a little unbeaten run, and if you take the QP, Falkirk and today's games in isolation, we've ended up with 5 points from those games when we were realistically looking at only getting 3 in the closing moments of those games.

Well you thieving, money grabbing so and sos. Charging £18 ( £10 for concessions) for entry to the forth coming Scottish cup tie. That’s a great way to encourage visiting fans from any League, promote football and the Scottish Cup. Is that how you pay your rubbish manager and super star players, robbing the fans at the gate? Or do you pay your tenants  a retainer if you get drawn against a Lowland League  to help keep them in existence.

It will certainly make me think very seriously about attending the game and getting ripped off.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹