The Alloa Athletic Thread

8 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

So, how are Alloa fans actually feeling about Ferguson at the moment football wise? Obviously as a manager he kind of comes across as deeply unlikeable at times with his arguments with fans etc, but as a manager I'm interested in how he's pro/regressed since his time with Clyde.

It seemed like at the start of the season he wanted to get shot of Parry, Trouten, Cawley etc and only managed to move Parry out the door - was it even the case that he was trying to push the others out the door? It seems like a very odd move to single out one of the most well liked, respected and highest quality players in the lower leagues, but not totally beyond him.

he Definitely seems to prefer his own signings over any players from last seasons team , Barring stefan Scougall who he obviously rates .

but Robertson has been played and cawley to a lesser extent , he has excluded Andy graham for mendy which sometimes seems like a poor decision 

but Andy aint getting any younger , but we need someone else over mendy IMO .

On another note ......  Has the  A team theme been binned by BF as well ?

Edited by Vegetableman

he Definitely seems to prefer his own signings over any players from last seasons team , Barring stefan Scougall who he obviously rates .
but Robertson has been played and cawley to a lesser extent , he has excluded Andy graham for mendy which sometimes seems like a poor decision 
but Andy aint getting any younger , but we need someone else over mendy IMO .

On another note ......  Has the  A team theme been binned by BF as well ?
You'd think Mendy is out the team after Saturday and either Andy or Howie steps in there. Remains to be seen though.
Didn't like Robbo getting dropped to the bench on Saturday after a class couple of outings in the middle.
Boyd I think has done well, but has yet to convince me he's a better option than Cawley who is benched at the moment. Obviously still finding his feet so maybe a bit unfair, but when Cawley joined the club you knew after about 10 minutes he would be a player for Alloa.
Durnan has been class, a really good signing. Jury's out on a fair few of them though, but I think we will see where he's at after the second quarter is completed to properly assess what the manager is trying to achieve
I know its easy to say but I think the Alloa team of 3 or 4 years ago would be romping this league. Lots of solid enough teams but haven't seen anyone of huge quality so far.

On 04/10/2021 at 13:25, Brian Carrigan said:

So, how are Alloa fans actually feeling about Ferguson at the moment football wise? Obviously as a manager he kind of comes across as deeply unlikeable at times with his arguments with fans etc, but as a manager I'm interested in how he's pro/regressed since his time with Clyde.

It seemed like at the start of the season he wanted to get shot of Parry, Trouten, Cawley etc and only managed to move Parry out the door - was it even the case that he was trying to push the others out the door? It seems like a very odd move to single out one of the most well liked, respected and highest quality players in the lower leagues, but not totally beyond him.

Ferguson probably should have stayed at Kelty. Didn't seem to be as much annomosity about him than at Clyde and now it seems Alloa. One of our players played for him at Kelty and said the training was very professional and that he took a lot froM dick Advocaat

8 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Ferguson probably should have stayed at Kelty. Didn't seem to be as much annomosity about him than at Clyde and now it seems Alloa. One of our players played for him at Kelty and said the training was very professional and that he took a lot froM dick Advocaat

Well, yeah - because he was able to sign players from the Championship and skoosh the league. Nathan Austin scored 37 goals in 25 league games. They were extremely huge fish in a tiny little pond. As soon as there's a little adversity he falls apart. Leaving Kelty was an insane decision whatever the reason, he could have scored at least another season before being found out and would potentially have got himself a bigger, full time gig (no offence to Alloa intended, of course).

I know its easy to say but I think the Alloa team of 3 or 4 years ago would be romping this league. Lots of solid enough teams but haven't seen anyone of huge quality so far.

Under JG and our last promotion from division 1 we struggled to get any consistency in the first half of the season and was sitting mid table.

We land with a formation after suspensions and injuries, Fleming dropped back into the central midfield role and it all appeared to click and we never looked back.

Although I do believe the division was a lot more competitive than this season and the squad was pound for pound a lot stronger than this one.

7 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Well, yeah - because he was able to sign players from the Championship and skoosh the league. Nathan Austin scored 37 goals in 25 league games. They were extremely huge fish in a tiny little pond. As soon as there's a little adversity he falls apart. Leaving Kelty was an insane decision whatever the reason, he could have scored at least another season before being found out and would potentially have got himself a bigger, full time gig (no offence to Alloa intended, of course).

I would say one thing that Ferguson has certainly learned from his time at Clyde is not to take a management job unless there is a really good budget. Obviously had megabucks at Kelty for the LL. Not quite the same at Alloa but from the signings he has clearly been very well backed to an extent Clyde couldn't have managed. That makes it harder to mess things up, albeit also brings extra expectation. 11 points from first quarter isn't great but it's early enough to be put down to teething issues. 

Totally agree that he'd have been better off staying at Kelty for another year and almost certainly winning another title. Alloa an attractive option to up and coming managers with established reputation as a pathway to better things, but just looks like an unnecessary risk for someone in Ferguson's situation. Although when he wins the league and manager of the year and gets the St Mirren job he will be vindicated. 

Edited by Waspie

On 05/10/2021 at 00:18, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

You'd think Mendy is out the team after Saturday and either Andy or Howie steps in there. Remains to be seen though.
Didn't like Robbo getting dropped to the bench on Saturday after a class couple of outings in the middle.
Boyd I think has done well, but has yet to convince me he's a better option than Cawley who is benched at the moment. Obviously still finding his feet so maybe a bit unfair, but when Cawley joined the club you knew after about 10 minutes he would be a player for Alloa.
Durnan has been class, a really good signing. Jury's out on a fair few of them though, but I think we will see where he's at after the second quarter is completed to properly assess what the manager is trying to achieve

All good points.

Very poor man management to drop Robbo on his 200th appearance. He should have been leading the side out.

Wee Kev was indeed a class act from the very start. He should be playing. Boyd's goal return so far is certainly very good, but he needs to keep that up IMO as the rest of his play is OK, but nothing special.

On 05/10/2021 at 00:18, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

For all we've had some good teams in the Championship I felt like all those squads underachieved. Being in the relegation battles was a travesty to some of the football getting played.

You'd need to go back to Paul Hartley's playoff at Christmas heroes for the last team I thought was better than the promotion winning team of McCart, Stewart and Kirkpatrick and the stalwarts in their prime. So I don't think it's any shame to imagine that team winning this league today at a canter.

The only team so far I've enjoyed/feared while watching were Montrose and even then in the second  half of that game we were relatively solid. Another caveat of that being we played Queen's Park and Cove with 10 men so we turned those games into relative slogs out of necessity but noone blows me away with the thought they will definitely win the league. Everyone's been quite workmanlike.

13 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

and how did it eventually all end , did we free him ?

I think it was a case of if you can't come into train or even come in to be monitored - our injured players are often in just to be around the place and do light rehab work - we need to tear up the contract. It was a mutual thing. 

I remember Jim Goodwin spoke about the season before where we signed Thomas? Grant (apologies if that wasn't who it was I can't remember his first name). I don't know the exact details but he had some heart condition and so he just wasn't able to play. I think with that experience of managing a player who had to understandably commit their focus elsewhere was something that he wanted to avoid for a second season.

I've not commented,partly due to being quite seriously ill,and also because my opinions have not changed since we employed Ferguson.He is destroying all that was good about the team,and club in genera.However i think we will still make the playoffs,the relagation playoffs though.MM will stand idly by and watch us be relagated,because he won't sack Ferguson,much like Ferguson sticking by his signings,a similar mentality.Spoke to a couple of guys i know,one a Stenny fan,one a Stirling fan,both looking forward to us meeting up next season.

Interesting that Barry didn’t speak to press after game tonight, he will be talking them about Rangers during the week though. It’s also the concerning keeper situation has come back to bite us on the arse as predicted as Hutton has always acted like a petulant child.

speaking to the press after the defeat to peterhead, alloa assistant manager paddy connolly said: “obviously disappointed with the result, we actually thought we started the game quite well. we’re making it difficult for ourselves.

10 minutes ago, Alloa 68 said:

I've not commented,partly due to being quite seriously ill,and also because my opinions have not changed since we employed Ferguson.He is destroying all that was good about the team,and club in genera.However i think we will still make the playoffs,the relagation playoffs though.MM will stand idly by and watch us be relagated,because he won't sack Ferguson,much like Ferguson sticking by his signings,a similar mentality.Spoke to a couple of guys i know,one a Stenny fan,one a Stirling fan,both looking forward to us meeting up next season.

Get well soon. 

6 minutes ago, Redwedge77 said:

Interesting that Barry didn’t speak to press after game tonight, he will be talking them about Rangers during the week though. It’s also the concerning keeper situation has come back to bite us on the arse as predicted as Hutton has always acted like a petulant child.

speaking to the press after the defeat to peterhead, alloa assistant manager paddy connolly said: “obviously disappointed with the result, we actually thought we started the game quite well. we’re making it difficult for ourselves.

He's no even the assistant manager! Shambles, Ferguson will be away to his sons birthday party in Ireland. Extended celebrations!

Mibbe he was feart he couldnae hold himself back from negative comments.