The Alloa Athletic Thread

11 minutes ago, sydney said:

He’s got previous. Had fall outs with the Clyde fans. Strangely though it didn’t bother me much as he was clearly passionate and trying his best and if you give someone some abuse, don’t throw your hands up if he gives a bit back. Just wasn’t good enough though. His comments are exactly the same as we heard at Clyde. In the end, nearly took us onto the Lowland League. 

Cheers for the positivity, enjoy the rest of your night!👍🤣

Barry has just said on Go Radio that his door is always open and any fan is welcome to go up and have a talk with him and discuss anything that is concerning the fans, he again said later in the show he really hopes a few fans turn up tomorrow as he wants to get everyone going in the same direction Asap.

1 hour ago, liammcintosh01 said:

Barry has just said on Go Radio that his door is always open and any fan is welcome to go up and have a talk with him and discuss anything that is concerning the fans, he again said later in the show he really hopes a few fans turn up tomorrow as he wants to get everyone going in the same direction Asap.

Shopping Smelling GIFShopping Smelling GIF

2 hours ago, liammcintosh01 said:

Turn up to what  ?

By the sounds of it, he was saying if fans want to turn up to training and have an open and honest chat his door is open. To be fair he sounds like he really wants to change the mood around the club and supporter's and if any fans do want to go up and get questions answered that they've been putting ln here all season there isn't a better way to do it than go in and have a discussion with the manager. As I've said before me and a couple others did it on Saturday after and it was very good, he wasn't trying to rush away and was trying to explain different things that we don't all see from the outside.

On 25/09/2021 at 19:28, pencils said:

Never sure if it's only Alloa fans that are as bad as that or if it's similar at every team in the lower leages where you hear everything!

There’s always going to be opinions being expressed loudly at football but every team probably has a minority of wallopers who, when the going gets tough, will go too far with abusive put-downs. 

As a manager though, BF needs to be able to ignore all that as he can’t control what every fan shouts. And with respect if he can’t cope with 5 angry people out of 120 travelling Alloa fans then he’s maybe in the wrong profession. 

I really do not get this "engage with the manager " thing at all , we want results and good play 

i can only  recall Jim goodwin at the station one night and in the Promotion party , and nothing else with any other manager 

yes he got rid of big neil and that was a big call . I also can't ever believe that a manager is going to take advice or opinions from fans 

regarding management skills or communication skills , just let him get on with the job

if it does not work out then fine give him stick ,

meantime things do not look too bad   calm doon for crying out loud .

2 hours ago, BinoBalls said:

As a manager though, BF needs to be able to ignore all that as he can’t control what every fan shouts. And with respect if he can’t cope with 5 angry people out of 120 travelling Alloa fans then he’s maybe in the wrong profession. 

That was my over-riding feeling watching it unfold on Saturday. Ferguson handled it terribly and I'm surprised that a guy who will no doubt have been on the receiving end of some horrific shouts from the terraces in games of bigger magnitude than Saturday had reacted in such a way. Maybe he just wanted to show he cares as more often than not he's criticised for his "day job" talking about the Old Firm, but it made him look like an amateur gaffer at a Sunday League game. Not sure the Brian Rice approach of "come and see me if you've got anything to say" is any better either. Get a meet the manager session arranged with board members and supporters trust members and get everything communicated properly to your support. 

As an outsider looking in, thankfully as we have had the Barry experience. It’s history repeating itself. He had a Barney with Clyde fans after a Scottish cup defeat in the highlands and it’s never far away during a game. 

Ironically at fans official meetings he is generally good and talks a good game, engages and is interesting but out with that he comes across as not caring one bit what fans think. You will never get an acknowledgment or an applause from him at the end of a game for example, well never did with us anyway!

He and I suppose other ex old firm players just don’t get how much fans of other teams dislike it when they go on constantly about Rangers or Celtic when they are manager and employee of our clubs!

As said before, he does work hard but just cannot cope with players making mistakes and of course not helped by his utterly clueless assistant. He will probably do ok with Alloa for a season or two but now way will it be sustainable. He just does not have the temperament for management, particularly in lower leagues.

3 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Ironically at fans official meetings he is generally good and talks a good game, engages and is interesting but out with that he comes across as not caring one bit what fans think. You will never get an acknowledgment or an applause from him at the end of a game for example, well never did with us anyway!

It's a positive that he was actually good at official fan meetings, but it's relatively easy to keep your calm away from the emotions of a competitive match which is where it really counts.  As you say, it looks like he just doesn't have the temperament to cope.

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

been on the receiving end of some horrific shouts from the terraces in games of bigger magnitude than Saturday had reacted in such a way

He wouldn't have got away with it as easy as he has now , this has been building up because of constant derision from ( some ) fans 

Peter Grant got pelters from a few fans in the wee enclosure in front of the stand for a few games then confronted them after a game. The rest of the staff eventually pulled him away. The enclosure was closed off for a while after that. One of the fans was a big fat guy who was old enough to know better the rest were youngsters. I wonder if it is the same crew this time. 

He wouldn't have got away with it as easy as he has now , this has been building up because of constant derision from ( some ) fans 

Building up or not, was completely bizarre to do so on Saturday when every single fan got behind the team and there was no abuse what so ever. Barry may go on to be a good manager for Alloa and our performances have been decent, but he has a lot of making up to do as far as I’m concerned, very disrespectful and just an embarrassing situation for the club.

23 minutes ago, AlloaAdam said:

Building up or not, was completely bizarre to do so on Saturday when every single fan got behind the team and there was no abuse what so ever. Barry may go on to be a good manager for Alloa and our performances have been decent, but he has a lot of making up to do as far as I’m concerned, very disrespectful and just an embarrassing situation for the club.

Fair enough i wasn't there . but i remember jim g having some words with Alloa fans who were having a go ,maybe not as ferociously  as BF mind you 

A lot of groaning here about BF having a go at the supporters. Now, I’m not the man’s biggest fan, but I can’t say I blame him for snapping back a bit at the barrage of negativity from the vociferous few moaners. Yes, it’s a part of the job to cope with that, unfortunately, but, in all honesty, if you were perpetually pelted with abuse at your work, you would probably snap a lot quicker and a lot harder than he apparently did. The disadvantage of being at a small club like ours is that you hear everything.
So, sure, we’re all a little frustrated, and we all have the right to express that, but really things are not so terrible. So I would say give everyone a break, and just support the club. Try motivating.

On 28/09/2021 at 10:39, The Moonster said:

That was my over-riding feeling watching it unfold on Saturday. Ferguson handled it terribly and I'm surprised that a guy who will no doubt have been on the receiving end of some horrific shouts from the terraces in games of bigger magnitude than Saturday had reacted in such a way. Maybe he just wanted to show he cares as more often than not he's criticised for his "day job" talking about the Old Firm, but it made him look like an amateur gaffer at a Sunday League game.

Because of the environment Ferguson was brought up in, he's just an absolute winner.

In my opinion, the only thing BF actually has going for him is this attitude of being a winner, but this is an absolute hindrance when things aren't going his way - and because he's not a good manager, things won't go his way very much which leads to these huge fall outs.

The problem is anything less than winning seems to cause him to malfunction - at Clyde he blamed the players just not being good enough to execute his plans, rather than carrying the can. At Alloa, it's the fans fault for getting on the players backs. I don't think he's a good manager at all. Given his unprofessional treatment of players at each of his management posts he's also an enormous hypocrite. All of this paired with the fact that he's generally one of the most loathed figures in Scottish football means that unless he somehow ends up being manager of Rangers means he'll never get a managerial post where fans aren't immediately on his back. In my opinion for him to really show his chops (if he actually has any) he really needs to go down south or abroad. I really don't see it ending well with him and Alloa, considering the animosity perpetuated hen things aren't even going badly.