The Alloa Athletic Thread

Good to win albeit wasn't a great performance. Although Cowden were pretty limited, I thought they actually had the closer things in the first half. Boyd's goal on half time was a bit harsh on them but it was a fine strike. Second half was pretty mixed with the deflected goal settling the game. There was one terrific flowing Alloa move after that which was the best bit of football in the game. 

I was worried to see Mendy start because none of his performances so far merited that, and even in his improved cameo against QP he almost sold a couple of goals due to his positioning, but fair play to him today, he won pretty much every header that came his way and was solid. In that kind of game where the opposition are going to launch lots of high balls he offered hope that he could be effective, and hopefully it will be good for his confidence. Still, any 2 from Graham, Howie and Durnan should be the best option if we're playing 2 CBs. 

Boyd also did well in attack and certainly brought a lot more than Salmon has been. Cawley and Trouten got minutes, although Trouts (think it was him) had an incredible miss with an open goal. 

Rather unconvincing overall and nowhere near the level the group is capable of but a win and a clean sheet is positive, and there are good players to come back in too. 

I thought Cowden battled well and Buchs was a danger throughout.

All that remains to say is GIRUY @Blue Brazil Forever

IMG_20210904_173621.jpg.98464159795a2431404cfdd5d313f545.jpg

Taggs is isolating with covid , don't know why Andy was benched when bomb scare was played , 

Was a bit sad to see the young team hoping Hutton would screw up today , its not his fault all this keeper nonsense

Scougall tormented cowden today , and Buchanan is still good enough to play for us and looks too good for them IMO .

I have heard from someone that there sadly is a bit of unrest in the team, i hope it does not get too bad we need to kick on now ..

Disappointed by the antics, and shouts, by certain alloa supporters today. Surely we are all there to help support the team and get a result. Once the 11 step onto the pitch they should get our full support, opinions put aside. Why bother going if your looking for players to fail??
I'm as disappointed as everyone on how things are going but old enough to know there is always highs and lows.

Good to win but far from convincing, although definitely looked more dangerous going forward. Some of the link up between Boyd, Trouten, Scougall and Robbo down the right flank was really good especially in the first half, and it could have been a lot more comfortable had anyone been willing to pull the trigger. 

Didn’t think Cowdenbeath were up to much but to be fair to them, the chances they did create were pretty decent and they could have quite easily scored with a volley early doors and think they had a decent shout for a penalty near the end of the first half. They also had a spell in the middle of the 2nd half when I thought we were crying out for getting some fresh legs on. 

Given King plenty of criticism this season but I thought that was his best game so far, but I was hugely impressed with Sena today - thought he won just about everything in the middle of the park and looked to get up to support the front men - again, couple of times he should have had a shot instead of looking for an extra pass. 

I understand Ferguson getting stick from the fans - that’s going to happen when he’s made decisions that have pissed off most of the support, while not exactly setting the heather alight with results so far - doesn’t matter who is in charge, they are going to take stick from the stands (not saying it’s right or wrong, it’s part of football!). But the booing and shouting at Hutton was out of order. Personally think the decision to bin Parry is a nonsense but I don’t exactly hold Hutton responsible for that!!

You'd imagine Hutton wouldn't be terribly pleased, but would understand. Footballers are put in these kinds of positions all the time.

Nothing fair or right about it, but he's not the one responsible.

I thought the abuse and booing of Hutton today was utterly pathetic. A disgrace. 

I didn't agree with parry being relegated to no3 goalkeeper and subsequently moved out  but it's hardly Hutton's fault . Nothing like getting behind the players and supporting them.  Giving the guy stick is really poor. 

Alloa have a great reputation as a good part time club to play for  and this is evidenced by players sticking with us. Part of this comes from the support from the terraces. Today was a low. The treatment dished out to our goalkeeper was cringeworthy. Too many have had it good and never had to endure poor Alloa teams I suspect. 

Ferguson will live or die by his decisions and results. We were I think the best we have played all season today and should have really scored more goals. Trouten and Cawley coming into the team made a difference and scougal continued his excellent form. Young Senna in midfield had a good day also. 

Buchanan could still play for Alloa and is a loss 

2 hours ago, Oweny said:

I thought the abuse and booing of Hutton today was utterly pathetic. A disgrace. 

I didn't agree with parry being relegated to no3 goalkeeper and subsequently moved out  but it's hardly Hutton's fault . Nothing like getting behind the players and supporting them.  Giving the guy stick is really poor. 

Alloa have a great reputation as a good part time club to play for  and this is evidenced by players sticking with us. Part of this comes from the support from the terraces. Today was a low. The treatment dished out to our goalkeeper was cringeworthy. Too many have had it good and never had to endure poor Alloa teams I suspect. 

Ferguson will live or die by his decisions and results. We were I think the best we have played all season today and should have really scored more goals. Trouten and Cawley coming into the team made a difference and scougal continued his excellent form. Young Senna in midfield had a good day also. 

Buchanan could still play for Alloa and is a loss 

I agree that at games we should show support for the team.  We are not the best part time team in Scotland that is Arbroath, fact. 

Great to win, hopefully breeds confidence however the treatment of players resonates with colleagues. Dependant on that will determine where we are at come end of season. Alloa will be here, will Ferguson? Long term strategy for chairman and board questionable. Cowden by all accounts will feel aggrieved but who cares onwards and upwards for the wasps. 

There is frustration from fans some of that is Ferguson is marmite character you either love him or loathe him, add to that a number of cloud officials treat and comment about fans in a very dirocray manner which has caused a lot of bad blood.

But Ferguson inherited an ageing team that have just been relegated.  We needed new faces and rebuilding.  I am still to be convinced but this is the context.  

We have a 37 year old centre half who has been struggling despite him being magnificent for us . Parry had a very poor season for us last year and has struggled after serious injury.  Hes still better than how Ferguson treated him but these days were coming.  

I remember hugh mccann ripping apart the great Gregor abel team and we were all pissed off then . It's all about winning now and getting results. 

1 hour ago, Redwedge77 said:

There is frustration from fans some of that is Ferguson is marmite character you either love him or loathe him, add to that a number of cloud officials treat and comment about fans in a very dirocray manner which has caused a lot of bad blood.

But Ferguson inherited an ageing team that have just been relegated.  We needed new faces and rebuilding.  I am still to be convinced but this is the context.  

We have a 37 year old centre half who has been struggling despite him being magnificent for us . Parry had a very poor season for us last year and has struggled after serious injury.  Hes still better than how Ferguson treated him but these days were coming.  

I remember hugh mccann ripping apart the great Gregor abel team and we were all pissed off then . It's all about winning now and getting results. 

Ah the Gregor Abel team, one of the first teams I remember from my early years!😁 Legends like Larry Haggart, Bobby Robertson, Gus Smith, Charlie Lytwyn, Ronnie Lowrie, Keith McCulloch, Andy Millen, Billy Paxton, Billy Blackie, Peter Lamont, Stevie Ramsay, Mungo McCallum, Iain Lee, Robert Lee,  loads more....happy days.

2 hours ago, Redwedge77 said:

McCann also built a team with many youngsters Moffat, Smith, McAvoy, Sheerin, Campbell and there were another couple of homegrown lads. Sure he kept McCulloch, Robert Lee, Ramsey and added 1 or 2 with experience, Stuart Romaines, remember him? Got a smile on my face thinking of those times.😁

Totally agree Redwedge, Parry deserved way more respect but I think we all agree that his form understandably dipped after his injury, I think if BF had replaced him with someone of comparable ability at Parry’s peak then I could see the sense in replacing Parry and I think we would have accepted the situation.

I think we need to brace ourselves for a similar situation with Andy unfortunately. Father Time catches up with us all and with his injury last season, It may be a season too far for him and his body. In my opinion if we are playing four at the back Durnan and Howie look like our best partnership in centre defence. I do hope though that if this did happen, Andy is given the decency to decide his own future.

Some great names there McCulloch No 5 but you missed out my favourite player of that era, John Gibson a fantastic left sided midfielder with great pace, he just glided over the pitch, happy days indeed. 

17 minutes ago, Craigy said:

Totally agree Redwedge, Parry deserved way more respect but I think we all agree that his form understandably dipped after his injury, I think if BF had replaced him with someone of comparable ability at Parry’s peak then I could see the sense in replacing Parry and I think we would have accepted the situation.

I think we need to brace ourselves for a similar situation with Andy unfortunately. Father Time catches up with us all and with his injury last season, It may be a season too far for him and his body. In my opinion if we are playing four at the back Durnan and Howie look like our best partnership in centre defence. I do hope though that if this did happen, Andy is given the decency to decide his own future.

Some great names there McCulloch No 5 but you missed out my favourite player of that era, John Gibson a fantastic left sided midfielder with great pace, he just glided over the pitch, happy days indeed. 

Yeah he was a decent player, we got him from Hastings Town. He did let himself down when he signed for the Albion!🤣 Works at Barlinnie now and manages Blantyre Vics. 

1 hour ago, Craigy said:

John Gibson was a tremendous player as was A number of McCanns signings but it took time 

1 hour ago, Craigy said:

my favourite player of that era, John Gibson a fantastic left sided midfielder with great pace, he just glided over the pitch

Gibson was a wonderful player. Probably my favourite too from Abel's team, and there were several contenders.

2 hours ago, Craigy said:

His form wasn't at pre-inury levels last year, but that level may well have come back with games and a decent defence in front of him. He wasn't given the chance to get back to that level though. 

Don't know what his form was like in training obviously, but I'd actually be more than happy with a Neil Parry at last year's form level as our number one. I suspect we won't get anyone better than that.

2 hours ago, Craigy said:

I think we need to brace ourselves for a similar situation with Andy unfortunately. Father Time catches up with us all and with his injury last season, It may be a season too far for him and his body. 

You could well be right on this, but knowing Andy he'll do everything in his power to fight off Father Time for another season or two with The Wasps. 

And who would bet against him?

1 minute ago, printer said:

You could well be right on this, but knowing Andy he'll do everything in his power to fight off Father Time for another season or two with The Wasps. 

I don't think he will have a chance. It looks to me like the manager doesn't fancy him. He has to play his signings or he'll look daft. He has given Andy a little respect due to his status at the club but he will be slowly squeezed out. 

3 hours ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

McCann also built a team with many youngsters Moffat, Smith, McAvoy, Sheerin, Campbell and there were another couple of homegrown lads. Sure he kept McCulloch, Robert Lee, Ramsey and added 1 or 2 with experience, Stuart Romaines, remember him? Got a smile on my face thinking of those times.😁

Stuart Romaines. 

King of the double shuffle. 

There were unconfirmed rumours that he lasted a long time at the Rovers as he worked in an upmarket knitwear factory in the Borders and was in a position to 'supply' his team mates, management and directors with jerseys at a somewhat discounted rate. 

In one of his last appearances for the Rovers he landed one of the best uppercuts I've ever seen on a Falkirk player at Brockville. 

11 hours ago, printer said:

11 hours ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

I don't think he will have a chance. It looks to me like the manager doesn't fancy him. He has to play his signings or he'll look daft. He has given Andy a little respect due to his status at the club but he will be slowly squeezed out. 

I think looking at it as a stand alone aspect, it makes perfect sense to rest a 37 year old central defender for a relatively meaningless game.

The suspicion is valid based on the managers signings, but I havent seen much otherwise to make it clear he doesnt fancy Graham. I think its certainly pertinent to have other options though- Andy has been absolutely outstanding over the years but cant go on forever. Performance wise this season I think Andy has been fine thus far.