The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 hours ago, Waspie said:

Henderson is potentially a very good signing. I think we have the makings of a fine team now. All down to the manager to pick the best players and deploy them in a formation that suits their talents. If he does so, while also keeping the squad happy, then this group should be up near the top of League 1.

There's only 10 teams in the league, so wherever we are come game 36, were still near the top😐

Edited by laughing gravie
Numerical error pre posting this

I don't think McDowall was anything like as bad as some folk, but putting Parry below him in the pecking order is surely a sign of insanity.

Presumably the idea was to embarrass him into moving on, which is w**k behaviour.

33 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Henderson is potentially a very good signing. I think we have the makings of a fine team now. All down to the manager to pick the best players and deploy them in a formation that suits their talents. If he does so, while also keeping the squad happy, then this group should be up near the top of League 1.

Agreed.

Realistically Craig McDowall is not good enough to be a number 1 at league 1 level, but in terms of finding a keeper who is happy to be backup and sit on the bench all season you probably wont find many better. Can only assume that due to Ferguson's love of signing new players that there is a new keeper coming in on loan, probably to be the new number 1 based off of Hutton's performances so far. 

On the plus side though Henderson looks to be a really exciting signing and if we can get the best out of him, it could be the type of signing that turns a mediocre season into a decent one. Time will tell. 

Edited by AlloaAdam

43 minutes ago, AlloaAdam said:

Realistically Craig McDowall is not good enough to be a number 1 at league 1 level, but in terms of finding a keeper who is happy to be backup and sit on the bench all season you probably wont find many better. Can only assume that due to Ferguson's love of signing new players that there is a new keeper coming in on loan, probably to be the new number 1 based off of Hutton's performances so far. 

On the plus side though Henderson looks to be a really exciting signing and if we can get the best out of him, it could be the type of signing that turns a mediocre season into a decent one. Time will tell. 

I'd agree with this - while McDowall's never been no 1 material, he's surely the best back-up keeper we've had at any point in the last 10 years? And I understand he was also extremely popular in the dressing room. So we probably shouldn't under-estimate the kind of effect that both Neil & Craig leaving could end up having on team morale.

4 hours ago, AlloaAdam said:

We had Henderson for a stint. If you can get him motivated, there's a player in there. We saw flashes, though not consistency. I have my doubts whether ol' EBT Barry is the manager to do that, however.

47 minutes ago, fruitbowl said:

Indeed. I sometimes think I have strayed onto the Falkirk thread.

I strayed onto the Falkirk thread for the first time in months the other day - the latest post was somebody listing the average attendances of Championship and League One clubs.

It's reassuring that some things never change.

30 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'll say this for Barry Ferguson - Hitler never had a photo of him on his nightstand.

probably, but it is rumoured he got his Blitzkreig tactics from Stevie  hetherington 

yes the Nazi's really did invent that time machine you know ☠️

14 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

That is my point.

Alloa sign a promising young striker and still not even a small period of respite from endless repetitive piling on the manager.

Respect is earned, not found in a Lucky Bag.  He is a long way from getting any from me.  

3 minutes ago, laughing gravie said:

Lucky Bag

For the benefit of our younger posters a "lucky bag is what kids bought from the sweetie shop back in the 50's

or somewhere around that era, i know cos  my  Da told me , gives away LG's age a bit there no ?

Speaking of our chums from across the Forth Valley, it looks like some of them are a bit annoyed about not signing Henderson, which is promising.

It's hard to differentiate from the standard level of annoyance, though.