The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

Not bad, but surely some of this on the OS might be nice.

It also seems and feels like a never ending barrage of football clichés, like he is too ' big ' to think, or incapable of an original thought.

Like his managerial expertise, an original thought or idea.

22 hours ago, laughing gravie said:

Not bad, but surely some of this on the OS might be nice.

It also seems and feels like a never ending barrage of football clichés, like he is too ' big ' to think, or incapable of an original thought.

Like his managerial expertise, an original thought or idea.

https://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/2021/08/14/clyde-2-1-alloa/ if you bothered to read the article, you'd see two big paragraphs of managers comments, but that won't fit your agenda

15 hours ago, wasp22 said:

https://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/2021/08/14/clyde-2-1-alloa/ if you bothered to read the article, you'd see two big paragraphs of managers comments, but that won't fit your agenda

Spot on👍 

Just a few paragraphs from The Manager's Cliche book.

Edited by laughing gravie

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

In all fairness (and Im fully aware the buck stops with him) I dont think his take on the match is any different from the numerous Alloa supporters I spoke to outside Broadwood after the game.

youlll grow to hate him soon

Not sure how anyone else see's it but the one thing that frustrated me about his interview on Saturday isn't the cliches (which 95% of managers do in interviews anyway), its the way that he refers to O'Donnell as a 'young player', as if he's someone who is just there to make up the numbers at the minute. O'Donnell has been one of very few bright spots so far with his direct running and tricks, and should be due a start IMO. Doesn't sound like that's how the manager see's it unfortunately.

50 minutes ago, AlloaAdam said:

Not sure how anyone else see's it but the one thing that frustrated me about his interview on Saturday isn't the cliches (which 95% of managers do in interviews anyway), its the way that he refers to O'Donnell as a 'young player', as if he's someone who is just there to make up the numbers at the minute. O'Donnell has been one of very few bright spots so far with his direct running and tricks, and should be due a start IMO. Doesn't sound like that's how the manager see's it unfortunately.

He has a total disregard for Alloas young players instead opting to sign older players from lower leagues. O Donnell has been excellent and one of the few bright lights. That has nothing to do with the manager either.

45 minutes ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

He has a total disregard for Alloas young players instead opting to sign older players from lower leagues. O Donnell has been excellent and one of the few bright lights. That has nothing to do with the manager either.

Cameron is doing well, but let's not get carried away. 

Also I don't agree with your first or last sentences.

Yes, a couple of youngsters have been sent out on loan, but rather than this evidencing a total regard for them, to me it shows the opposite. It's probably the best thing for their development at this stage.

It's the manager who is currently giving young O'Donnell game time. So he does, indeed, have something to do with Cameron being one of the bright lights.

There's no doubt things have not started well under Barry and his signings largely look underwhelming and the dropping of Neil Parry for a new goalie (and extra wage) I don't think we needed is bizarre, but it's still early days.

Durnan and Howie look like they could be very good Alloa players. A couple of the others have been Ok IMO. When Cawley and Trouten come back in then we should still have a strong starting eleven for league one. If we still struggle then we will have plenty of genuine cause to moan about the manager

Edited by printer

1 hour ago, printer said:

Cameron is doing well, but let's not get carried away. 

Also I don't agree with your first or last sentences.

Yes, a couple of youngsters have been sent out on loan, but rather than this evidencing a total regard for them, to me it shows the opposite. It's probably the best thing for their development at this stage.

It's the manager who is currently giving young O'Donnell game time. So he does, indeed, have something to do with Cameron being one of the bright lights.

There's no doubt things have not started well under Barry and his signings largely look underwhelming and the dropping of Neil Parry for a new goalie (and extra wage) I don't think we needed is bizarre, but it's still early days.

Durnan and Howie look like they could be very good Alloa players. A couple of the others have been Ok IMO. When Cawley and Trouten come back in then we should still have a strong starting eleven for league one. If we still struggle then we will have plenty of genuine cause to moan about the manager

Why not get carried away, a home grown talent, who for the last few years has deserved far more game time than he has had. He might be the only bright light in this season. The manager has only played the boy as other options haven't been available!

The 2 loanees have hardly played for Broomhill, how is that developing them at a team who are clearly struggling? 

In addition they have allegedly been recalled!!😮(merely rumour, not confirmed) but very bizarre and a poor management decision if that is the case. Where does that leave them for the rest of the season? 

Totally agree with your comments re poor start, underwhelming signings and the Parry situation. I agree with Durnan and Howie being decent so far as well.  Remember Howie wasn't his signing either though. 😉

The comments of Clyde fans are also concerning, using 60 odd players and chopping and changing constantly, similar pattern developing at the recs so far. 

Saturday will be our sternest test against full time opposition who imo will be challanging for the title, roll on Saturday.

8 hours ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Why not get carried away, a home grown talent, who for the last few years has deserved far more game time than he has had. He might be the only bright light in this season. The manager has only played the boy as other options haven't been available!

The 2 loanees have hardly played for Broomhill, how is that developing them at a team who are clearly struggling? 

In addition they have allegedly been recalled!!😮(merely rumour, not confirmed) but very bizarre and a poor management decision if that is the case. Where does that leave them for the rest of the season? 

There's no doubt O'Donnell has progressed well, and its always good to see a youngster breaking into the team at any level. But I think his game time has been about right so far. And I think the method you describe to get his opportunity is pretty standard. It tends to be one of two- ideally you blood them into a successful unit or its because of resource gaps- see Ralston at Celtic for the most high profile example in Scotland at the moment. It's all about taking your chance when it comes and O'Donnell to his credit has looked really good this season- whether that's due to the team performance level not being high or not is another matter, but from an individual perspective not all that relevant.

If the players are being recalled from Broomhill, maybe its for that exact reason- that we put them out there to develop them and it doesn't seem to be happening. Or in Williamsons case because we don't have an option at left back in the short term- that was painfully apparent on Saturday. 

I think there's enough concerns at the moment without speculating on additional ones.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

10 hours ago, printer said:

This is spot on. Its not like the Danny Lennon season where the quality was lacking in many key areas. With Cawley and Trouten back the quality is there, we just need to set the team up and play in a style that gets the best out of them. Of course that's the job of the manager.

4 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

This is spot on. Its not like the Danny Lennon season where the quality was lacking in many key areas. With Cawley and Trouten back the quality is there, we just need to set the team up and play in a style that gets the best out of them. Of course that's the job of the manager.

lost count of the teams barry set up in his style....very hard to please.....Howie is a good player...but Grant was waa waa

4 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Agree with this. Howie looks to be a good player, although I'd rather see him playing CB than CM once everyone is fit. Durnan has looked good in his two games. Boyd is another who has showed promise. Hutton too, even though it's definitely questionable did we need another keeper. I thought Sena showed some promising touches last week and I do think that role at DM is an area we needed to strengthen. The other signings might not have set the heather on fire but they need and deserve time to settle (albeit a wee spell on the bench might suit some of them). 

My main concern at this stage is that the general performances and shape of the team haven't been convincing so far, even in victory.  The ingredients are certainly there for a decent League One team, we just need to put them to use in a fashion that gets the best out of them. As Father Barry says, that's down to the gaffer. 

40 minutes ago, bobthespider said:

Is the stream of the games provided by Alloa any good

This file was straight from the live stream - I was doing commentary + camera + a bit of tech support during this game so it was a little awkward. That's pretty representative of the quality.

No surprise Parry released i have a genuine feeling of bewilderment at present. There is ways to treat people who served the club well and  loyally over a number of years and this is not the way.  i would like to wish Neil all the best, Dont think it will be long before he is picked up a club and probably come back to haunt us and the seagulls. 

With regards the current number one a really genuine angry young man with small man syndrome and was at fault for two goals already. The back up of Ronald Mc Donald  and a goal keeping coach who was useless in his spell as goalkeeper at club does not fill me with confidence.  ronald mcdonald mcdonalds GIF

I stayed out of most of the close season discussion, the negativity towards the club was tedious and the predictable reaction to Ferguson’s appointment only exacerbated this.
That said, the man is something of a poison on the club at the minute - and the justified vitriol of the supporters is testament to this. We’ve disagreed about managers in the past, but it’s been a while since there’s been such a fear of damage to the club - the feeling around the club just now is markedly different to anything in the previous decade.

Battling for a point on Saturday was a tiny slither of light in what has been a bleak start to the season, to then get rid of Parry in this fashion is another kick in the guts - inevitable as it was. It was a pleasure to watch him play for Alloa, without doubt the best Alloa goalkeeper I’ve ever seen apart from Bain, and still very likely the best part-time keeper in the country. Watching QP’s goal again this week knowing that Parry was sitting in the stands is increasingly difficult. I hope he knows how he was appreciated by the fans and the club.
When Ferguson was appointed I had too many conversations with fans of his side of the OF, who couldn’t understand why we (lowly Alloa fans) weren’t over the moon to be blessed with a divine OF presence. Ferguson’s decision making and disregard of players who have served Alloa well stinks of the same ignorance.
We have too much quality still in the squad to be in relegation danger this season, in the end we will be okay. Either way, I can’t help but feel that this season will be characterised by that bad feeling around the club - and there’s an obvious reason for that.