The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 minute ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Top trolling my friend, but unfortunately geographically inaccurate.

Much to my dismay, the Lowland League would beckon rather than the Highland League.

I'm well aware but decided to be charitable to both clubs i.e. Alloa relegated ( likely ) and Brechin promoted ( possibly ).

Thanks for Bucks:thumsup2

You were technically charitable to one club only.

Buchs was a really good player for us and a great guy. Hope he does well, despite the clear sarcasm.

Let's see what happens when the season starts (with regards to Alloa, Brechin and indeed Cowden). You may well be right but the League Cup is no real indicator.

5 hours ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

I agree we had enough chances to comfortably win the game(recurring theme). Hopefully the two guys we have shall find a bit of form soon or we bring in someone to do it. I think we are also needing a left back/winger and someone between midfield and front players. Still early in the season, roll on Saturday.

Cue Williamson then.......oh we can't he's on loan.

5 hours ago, Dink said:

Attempting to bring in some positive vibes after my posts last night were, understandably, not full of the joys. So, a few happy thoughts:

The 4231 that we used against Cowden and (a variant of) against Livingston has the potential to be a useful system for us.

With Scougall, Cawley, Trouten, and O'Donnell (plus Boyd) to choose from for the 3 in behind the striker we've got some very talented attacking options.

Ben Armour's movement and work rate as a lone striker should create space for the 3 behind to play in.

Scott Taggart has started the season well, to the extent that he was our main attacking threat least night.

Andy Graham has generally looked back to his best.

Howie looks like a decent no-nonsense stopper.

It looks like we've got genuine competition for the goalkeeping spot.

So, there you go it's not all doom and gloom (only mostly).

Superb. What a benefit a good nights sleep is! You should never say what you think till you simmer down, some woman told me that.

Good to hear the positives from someone who was there.

5 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Top trolling my friend, but unfortunately geographically inaccurate.

Much to my dismay, the Lowland League would beckon rather than the Highland League.

Thought Cowden fans would know that seeing as they often hover around that area.

Superb. What a benefit a good nights sleep is! You should never say what you think till you simmer down, some woman told me that.
Good to hear the positives from someone who was there.
That was me being deliberately positive, my actual view is closer to "this has largely been shite so far, with a few positive notes, fingers crossed things look better when we start the league games".

Last night was the last game I'll make for a few weeks so, who knows, perhaps we'll be sweeping all before us by the time that I get back to the Recs.

2 hours ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Thought Cowden fans would know that seeing as they often hover around that area.

Leave the boy be 🙂. They've won a couple of games in the League Cup, probably the most glory the boys had in a long time.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

2 hours ago, Dink said:

That was me being deliberately positive, my actual view is closer to "this has largely been shite so far, with a few positive notes, fingers crossed things look better when we start the league games".

Last night was the last game I'll make for a few weeks so, who knows, perhaps we'll be sweeping all before us by the time that I get back to the Recs.

🤣👍

Whilst most of the focus has been on the new signings, we are also still finding our feet in the middle of the park. Hetherington is a big miss in terms of that anchor. Robertson and Scougall are definitely capable but as a midfield duo have rarely played together. Scougall showed some real classy touches but both him and Robbo have more in the tank in terms of imposing themselves on the game. I'm confident that will come with more game time together and with the rest of the team- particularly when we settle and the midfield has more structure and balance.

If I was the manager I'd be telling Scougall he's our star, and feed as much as we can through him, make him as vital as he can be to the team to get the best out of him. There's no doubting his ability, I just think he flits in and out of games a bit. I hate to make the comparison but it's like Flannigan in his first couple of seasons. When Simmons and Holmes both departed, Flanny thrived in being the focal point. Hopefully we can get something like that out of Scougall.

Boyd looked far better in a more wide role- more central last night and didn't play well. ODonnell has potential, and with Cawley and Trouten to come back in too, talk of impending doom is very premature. 

Agree with Dink though- never ever play last nights formation again  🙂

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

22 hours ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Cue Williamson then.......oh we can't he's on loan.

Still can’t get my head round this. The young boy coped more than well in the championship against some good teams and has been shipped out when I personally think he’s miles ahead of who we’re playing at the moment.

14 minutes ago, footyfan99 said:

Still can’t get my head round this. The young boy coped more than well in the championship against some good teams and has been shipped out when I personally think he’s miles ahead of who we’re playing at the moment.

Obviously not a washed out first division dud, do not going to fit into the headless direction we are heading.

It may only be the League Cup, but we shouldn't be getting beaten by lower league teams, let alone Highland League teams.

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Take a day off mate 👍

I am merely stating it as I see it.

We're shit against lower opposition and the SAS have up trying to get a quote from the manager, or any club officials that doesn't want us to part with money

We all want the team to do well.

It is early days but I think what most Alloa fans would have wanted/excepted was for the manager to bring in better quality to supplement the players that have served us well, including the two promising youngsters in Williamson and O'Donnell.

Time will tell on how many of the new signings make it but the biggest worry is goals as Sammon and Armours goal records are poor to say the least. 

Just now, KierenAAFC said:

So, eh, David Hutton is our new number one? Bonkers. Absolutely bonkers.

Parry being punted?

I thought it was maybe a sign that Ferguson didn't fancy him when he dropped him for McDowall. Big call that. I know he's had an iffy time recently, but he's still a tremendous League One keeper.

I said last season that I thought Parry was past it with a couple of errors and his general awkwardness and lack of mobility. That error in the Cowden game probably sealed his fate. 

He has been a tremendous servant and given us many memorable moments. David Hutton though..........big jersey to fill.