The Alloa Athletic Thread

Really impressed with O’Donnell today but who is surprised that the youth are impressing? It’s such a shame though cause I’ve got a real bad feeling that he’ll be shipped out within the next few weeks. Grant really did get the best out out youngsters.

13 hours ago, macclyde+ said:

Didn't get much game time at Clyde, then ended up at QP, where he got a pretty bad injury.

Not sure where he ended up, but would imagine away from QP now given the cash they are splashing about.

Broke his leg with QP at the start of the 2019/20 season, think he went out on loan once he recovered and never came back.

An excellent result yesterday, very unexpected but welcome after Tuesday night. 

Great to see O'Donnell getting a start and hope he will be involved thoughout the season, but time will tell. 

Would imagine there are a few more signings to come in, possibly on loan, as we look really short on numbers. 

Edited by Magic Hat

12 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Fair play looked a bit of a ropey award but I was in the main stand, you'd have had a better view. We'll take it.

Ironically I think we can do a lot better than we did today. I think Robbo and Scougall can impose and ultimately influence more than they did today, albeit against Prem opposition.

Still, we were comfortable for the majority of the game. Livi were on top for 10 mins after the opening goal but apart from that I thought we were assured.

ODonnell was probably our best performer. Great to see him take his opportunity after being a late replacement for Cawley. Howie also excellent alongside Andy and relatively error free. Noted Andy giving Church real encouragement every time he ventured forward,  so I think this will develop as Church gets some games under his belt.

Taggarts equaliser was excellent. Admittedly suspect defending but a great run and a beautiful pass from Andy Graham to get him on his way.

It did have a pre season feel about it today. I think it illustrated we need to just allow this group time to settle and not over react. We weren't absolutely useless after Tuesday night and nor are we world beaters after today.

The result blows the group wide open and probably allows us, Cowden and Raith the opportunity to perhaps qualify from the group.

Was good to see McDowall get a run out in goal and I thought he did fine. Had no chance for the Livi goal. 

Onwards to Brechin on Tuesday where we hopefully build on this and put in a good performance.

Was definitely of the soft variety!

Just thought we had far more structure and purpose yesterday compared to Tuesday night. It looked clear how we wanted to play without the ball and then look to break quickly when we got it back. 

I felt there was a lot more communication throughout the team yesterday as well as more coming from the sidelines as well. 

Church definitely looked more comfortable, and was pleased to see he actually looked to take the ball forward as opposed to Tuesday where he just rolled the ball back to Howie every time it went to him. 

3 minutes ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

Is there any update on the possibility of Alloa fans getting into Glebe park on tuesday??

Heard yesterday its possibly pay at gate, but hopefully Brechin confirm that in the next day or so.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Wee Brechin game update for those interested- still no confirmation from clubs website or twitter re status of away fan access for tomorrow.

However, one of the boys from the supporters bus emailed the club. Club have said theyve looked at the guidance and deemed it safe to allow away fans access. We will be allocated our own small section in the ground.

As I said, still waiting on full confirmation to be published but looks like anyone who wants to head up/down tomorrow night will get in.

A bit late with my comments on Saturday's game but I thought that we played really well, a big improvement from last Tuesday. I thought that Howie was excellent at the back, and also a lot of credit to Andy Graham with a fantastic pass out to Taggart for the first goal.

Fingers crossed this gives us something to build on, and we certainly need to see more from Sammon. Hopefully there are more positives in the next couple of games.

33 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Access to tomorrow nights game confirmed on twitter by the Brechin Supporters Liaison Officer.

Surely no one will actually be travelling up though? 😉

Well, that was poor and certainly brings us back to earth after the Livingston game. In the first 15 minutes we probably should have scored 2 or 3, but after that Brechin gradually came into the game and our performance was poor.

The midfield failed to really get a grip of the game and for all the chances that we created our strikers never looked like they were going to finish one - perhaps loading up on front players with poor scoring records isn't such a great idea.

Between that result and the Cowden one it begins to look like Livingston were indeed very badly hit by illness when they played us. We have to hope that these two results are just blips and that there will be more to come once the season starts, but it's not looking great at the moment.