The Alloa Athletic Thread

This has the potential to be an absolute car crash season reminiscent of Maitland or Lennon. The players he has signed are underwhelming to say the least. Will judge him on the League performances but even so early, fear the worst. 

When Mulraney said he had increased the budget for this season expected good quality players to balance the likes of Taggart, Cawley, Robertson etc. 

Not panicking quite yet, it is only one game but hope he is looking to bring in some SPL loan signings. Also hope he gives Williamson and O Donnell a chance. 

Edited by Magic Hat

I thought Boyd and Scougall as the two wide men looked lively but when you have a lumbering but towering centre surely it would be better to have them positioned so they are going for the byline and producing crosses rather than cutting inside on their stronger foot.

Wait 400 odd days to get to a game and get served up that dross. 

I know we are talking about the first competitive game of the season and it’s easy to get carried away, but there’s some serious alarm bells already. 

Although there were a few decent individual performances (Taggs, Robbo, Boyd and Sammon in the first half), there seemed a real lack of structure in terms of the team as a whole and what they were trying to achieve - and that’s been the strength of the team in recent years. Bar the goal chopped off at the end, we never looked like scoring tonight to be honest. 

From the 2 games I’ve seen him, Church looks a waste of a jersey at left back - any joy we were having tonight was coming from Taggs getting down his wing to support Cawley in the 1st half and Scougall in the 2nd to double up on their left back and there was acres of space down the opposite flank for Church to do the exact same (especially seeing as Boyd cut inside every time he went forward) yet he seemed totally disinterested in supporting the attacks. Every time the ball went to him it was stopped and played back to Durnan (another who looks a liability to be honest!). When Armstrong came on it took him all of 1 minute to get down the wing and stick a decent ball over. 

Not sure why Cawley and Scougall were swapped over in the 2nd half as they were playing well where they were in the first half. 

Hopefully there’s a response at the weekend, because a performance like tonight and we will be in for an absolute humping against Livi. 

2 minutes ago, fruitbowl said:

I thought Boyd and Scougall as the two wide men looked lively but when you have a lumbering but towering centre surely it would be better to have them positioned so they are going for the byline and producing crosses rather than cutting inside on their stronger foot.

I can't find a line up for you lot tonight but I'm going to assume you're talking about Sammon here. Please please please don't set yourself up for a downfall like we did as Sammon's not going to be your target man. He's absolutely useless in the air. His pace in behind is the only thing he'll give you and even at that when he gets in behind you can count on him to fluff his lines 8/10 times. 

2 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

I know we are talking about the first competitive game of the season and it’s easy to get carried away, but there’s some serious alarm bells already. 

Although there were a few decent individual performances (Taggs, Robbo, Boyd and Sammon in the first half), there seemed a real lack of structure in terms of the team as a whole and what they were trying to achieve - and that’s been the strength of the team in recent years. Bar the goal chopped off at the end, we never looked like scoring tonight to be honest. 

From the 2 games I’ve seen him, Church looks a waste of a jersey at left back - any joy we were having tonight was coming from Taggs getting down his wing to support Cawley in the 1st half and Scougall in the 2nd to double up on their left back and there was acres of space down the opposite flank for Church to do the exact same (especially seeing as Boyd cut inside every time he went forward) yet he seemed totally disinterested in supporting the attacks. Every time the ball went to him it was stopped and played back to Durnan (another who looks a liability to be honest!). When Armstrong came on it took him all of 1 minute to get down the wing and stick a decent ball over. 

Not sure why Cawley and Scougall were swapped over in the 2nd half as they were playing well where they were in the first half. 

Hopefully there’s a response at the weekend, because a performance like tonight and we will be in for an absolute humping against Livi. 

I am totally bewildered as to why Church has been brought in, whilst starting, when Williamson showed he was more than capable in the games he played in the Championship last season?

7 minutes ago, footyfan99 said:

I am totally bewildered as to why Church has been brought in, whilst starting, when Williamson showed he was more than capable in the games he played in the Championship last season?

I think that’s what annoys me the most about what I’ve seen from him so far, had hoped relegation would have been the chance to bring on the likes of Williamson and O’Donnell. 

12 minutes ago, footyfan99 said:

I'd liked to have had Williamson in there, but we have 3 more games and I'm sure he will get some time there.

I thought first half we looked pretty good, second half was frantic and fractured. There's definitely elements of quality in there- Robertson and Scougall should work well together in the middle, Boyd did fine first half. We still have Trouten to come in too.

Howie looks a good enough stopper but didn't look comfortable on the ball tonight. Need to see more of Church I think to make any real judgment.

A lot of new faces with a new management team so results secondary right now- even though it's never a positive to lose to a team a league below. All about the manager assessing to get something resembling his best lineup for that opening league game of the season.

No big deal if the end justifies the means.

Great to be back in and hear some interesting shouts from the terrace again.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

47 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

This has the potential to be an absolute car crash season reminiscent of Maitland or Lennon. The players he has signed are underwhelming to say the least. Will judge him on the League performances but even so early, fear the worst. 

When Mulraney said he had increased the budget for this season expected good quality players to balance the likes of Taggart, Cawley, Robertson etc. 

Not panicking quite yet, it is only one game but hope he is looking to bring in some SPL loan signings. Also hope he gives Williamson and O Donnell a chance. 

Totally agree. I wouldn't normally base my opinion on one game and like to give people a chance however......... The only 2 new signings that looked remotely decent were Howie (who he didn't sign) and Boyd. The other new signings not good enough to be in a promotion chasing team. 

First half was watchable with Taggart, Scougall and Cawley pulling the strings. Second half dire,lose a goal and pump long balls to Sammon who seems to barge everyone. He missed a great chance when he decidedto cut onto his left foot toward their defender when it would have been easier to go right foot and into space. 

As for our homegrown talent, I can see them being totally demoralised within the next 3 weeks as there is no chance they are in his plans. 

29 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Durnan wisnae playing unless I was st the wrong game so yeah he is a liability. It was Howie and imo I thought he looked a good addition. As for Church, he doesn't go beyond the winger cos he's not fit enough! 

28 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I can't find a line up for you lot tonight but I'm going to assume you're talking about Sammon here. Please please please don't set yourself up for a downfall like we did as Sammon's not going to be your target man. He's absolutely useless in the air. His pace in behind is the only thing he'll give you and even at that when he gets in behind you can count on him to fluff his lines 8/10 times. 

Yip he did that very well in the 2nd half.

19 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

I think that’s what annoys me the most about what I’ve seen from him so far, had hoped relegation would have been the chance to bring on the likes of Williamson and O’Donnell. 

No chance mate, he aint signing midfielders and left backs to sit them in the stand. Adam King was totally anonymous by the way, Raith opinions were bang on.

1 minute ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Durnan wisnae playing unless I was st the wrong game so yeah he is a liability. It was Howie and imo I thought he looked a good addition. As for Church, he doesn't go beyond the winger cos he's not fit enough! 

Yeah was Howie I was meaning, no idea why I had Durnan in my head!! 

I thought he was really poor tonight but general consensus seems to be that he was decent enough so will reserve judgement!

1 minute ago, Kevchenko said:

Yeah was Howie I was meaning, no idea why I had Durnan in my head!! 

I thought he was really poor tonight but general consensus seems to be that he was decent enough so will reserve judgement!

From Howies performance tonight I thought he linked well with Andy, good awareness and timing. But treated the ball like a hot tattie. Which is fine, as long as the midfield and full backs drop in and receive the ball from him. Only one game though, and I guess Clyde fans would be able to say if that assessment is an accurate reflection.

Worth keeping in mind that many great Alloa players took time before showing what they can do. Even from the current team, Taggart took 6 months to convince me, Trouten a good 3 or 4. And Flannigan, the greatest of them all- 2 seasons 😆.

Let's give these guys at least a few games.

13 minutes ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Adam King was totally anonymous by the way, Raith opinions were bang on.

He’ll remain that way the whole year, but not in a terrible way. He’ll be passing away happily, which will be fine if you can find a couple of players to take the passes and attack with them. He will help control the play somewhat, and is best suited as a DM.