The Alloa Athletic Thread

6 hours ago, SLClyde said:

I was absolutely certain Mark Lamont had signed for Stranraer? 

Yeah, looking at history and trying to find out more about him, this was something I saw. Mark and Stranraer had both tweeted his arrival last month, however, both tweets are now deleted. Not sure what the script is! 

20 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Yeah, looking at history and trying to find out more about him, this was something I saw. Mark and Stranraer had both tweeted his arrival last month, however, both tweets are now deleted. Not sure what the script is! 

The previous Stranraer and now Dumbarton boss had signed him and they subsequently agreed to cancel the deal: https://stranraerfc.org/pre-season-update/

1 hour ago, peternapper said:

Disappointed that Steven Boyd has ended up at a rival club as he was beginning to show some form towards the end of the season. Was meant to be looking for full time but maybe less travel swung it for him  

Is this the same Steven boyd that scored a screamer against rangers for hamilton

When Barry Ferguson was at Clyde, he very much approached transfer windows from a fair distance out. I think in his final 5 (of 6) transfers windows he had at Clyde, the rumour mill had spat out the names of new signings well in advance of the window actually starting. It was definitely one of his strengths; getting players to commit early on, whether they actually signed "pre-contracts" or not.

I do wonder if these additions are simply filling needs at this stage given he wasn't in post well before the end of the season. Some weak signings in there.

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Careful or somebody might post the Orsi clip against us when he struggled rather badly with the part with the ball.

I've just spent 18 months watching Robert Jones trying to do football, Orsi looks like Messi falling over that ball. Anyway, wasn't meant as a jibe, jus that anyone who's watched Sammon for Falkirk knows he's been poor in this division. All could change with a change of club though. 

2 hours ago, Wee wasp said:

Is this the same Steven boyd that scored a screamer against rangers for hamilton

Not sure about that one, he is a good player but not sure if he see,s himself as a striker did not get many for us but linked up play pretty well when available.

1 hour ago, David W said:

When Barry Ferguson was at Clyde, he very much approached transfer windows from a fair distance out. I think in his final 5 (of 6) transfers windows he had at Clyde, the rumour mill had spat out the names of new signings well in advance of the window actually starting. It was definitely one of his strengths; getting players to commit early on, whether they actually signed "pre-contracts" or not.

I do wonder if these additions are simply filling needs at this stage given he wasn't in post well before the end of the season. Some weak signings in there.

I think it needs to be recognised that apart from Hethrington and Dick the majority of last years squad has signed on again.  Parry, Taggart, Graham, Cawley, Robertson, Jamieson, Scougall and Trouten along with the earlier signing of Craig Howie are all capable of holding their own in League 1 and it was always going to be case of finding a couple of signings to step in and fill the gaps, which in my opinion Durnan, Boyd and hopefully Sammon can.

Lamont, Church and to a lesser extent Armour are probably viewed as weak signings, but at this level you are always going to need a few squad fillers that might only play a bit part during the season and along with the youngsters we have coming through and maybe a couple of additional new faces then i think we are well set for the season ahead..............i hope.